Introduce Yourself.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been one of those guys who reads but never posts for a few months and thought I should make a formal introduction.

I wish I knew where the urge to brew my own beer came from, but one day I decided I was going to do it and went out to purchase a setup. A mate of mine had put down a brew which was quite apalling, so I thought it would be good to have a crack at making something a little more palatable!

I'm 31, from Surrey Hills in Melbourne and only have a single brew under my belt - a Brewcraft Mexican Cerveza kit with a kg of dextrose [came with the setup]. It's been in the bottle for a couple of weeks and leaves a lot to be desired so I'm moving to AG as fast as I can. I've heard some kits coupled with additional elements can taste reasonable, so I'll probably do another couple of K+K (using LME/maltodextrin/corn syrup) - I was given a Cooper's Pale Ale kit with a 1kg bag of Brewblend #20 (Malt Plus Booster). I was thinking of using this with a starter made from a stubbie of Cooper's Sparkling Ale instead of the sachet of yeast in the kit as my next foray into the brewing world.

Thanks for all the information I've taken on board so far - it's an incredible resource we have here.

Nick

Hi NRB, and welcome to AHB :)

Your plan of the coopers pale ale kit is a great idea, its easily one of the best homebrew kits going about. Harvesting the yeast is a great idea too, the coopers yeast handles summer temperatures pretty well.

One thing you can do to make it a little bit better is add some finishing hops. I recommend cascade, even just a teabag style pack from a homebrew shop added to the brew will make a world of difference.

Just realised hadn’t posted anything here. So for the record, the Backlane Brewery is located in a laneway off Chapel St Windsor, and the team comprises:
Front office- Tracey. Landlord of the premises we brew in, label design mistress, ideas woman and all round pink haired goddess. Doesn’t really drink much beer, prefers cider & champagne (still working on that). Oversees much quality control of the finished articles.
BIG EDIT- yesterday at a MBBQAS do Tracey reminded me that she is a certified TIG & MIG welder AND has her own welding gear...bring on the SS...boy, you know & love someone for 20 years & you forget the little details.

Back office/brewery floor- Shirley. Fairly new to brewing but keen and thorough. Often looks aghast at Trevor’s half-assed measuring and sanitising practices. Has long experience on the Super Automatica from years of tomato sauce bottling with Italian friends. Came up with our best brew yet, the “Fancy Ass” wheat beer. Enjoys cider and pilsener/lager.
Back office/brewery floor- Trevor. Been brewing from kits off and on for nearly 15 years. Spent 11 years living in the UK, where he developed a taste for good beer- London Pride, Leffe & Speckled Hen in particular. Drinks more than his fair share of the production. Not very tidy. Favourite brew- “Happy Otter”.

We brew in a fairly large kitchen, with 2 x 25l & 1 x 40l kegs, as well as a few 7.5l buckets for cider. Gets a bit warm in summer, but we are dealing with that and it seems to be working.

Philosophy- make good tasting interesting varieties of beer & cider for consumption with friends. Experiment. Share the workload. Never buy empties, unless they are really really special. Don’t poison anyone.

Hi Nick & Trevor
Good to see some more Melbourne brewers on the list.

Must take this opp. to throw my head in(just plonked on a new avatar - hope you like it!)
I have inspected the premises at Backlane Brew Co. The good news is that the organisation meets the lofty brewing standards that us Melbourne brewers maintain. Better news is that the product is well worth a sip.
I myself have two 60litre fermentors constantly on the go. The volume that I produce not only maintains close friendships but is used for bartering purposes. I just had "The Floor Doctor" give me a quote and sent him off smiling with a crete of good news.
Hope he returns.

Hey,
Im Tim and have been a lurker on this site for the past six months or so and finally got around to registering.
I first started brewing about 18 months ago, just playing around with Kits. Since then i have moved on to AG about three months ago and i havnt looked back since.

Tim

gday everyone

My names Rod, from Melbourne (north east). The missus dropped in a brew kit in my chrissy stocking so keen to get some suds made up!

Was given a link to these forums from a bloke off another forum (car related)

Welcome rodderz. You are one of the lucky few who was given a homebrew kit by the wife. I also happen to be in the same boat.

Now you will have the perpetual defence of "but you started it all", when your brewery grows and grows, possibly to the point of minor bankruptcy, and evicting children to make room for a few more fermenters.

Its a fantastic situation to be in, I hope you make the most of it.

barfridge said:
Welcome rodderz. You are one of the lucky few who was given a homebrew kit by the wife. I also happen to be in the same boat.

Now you will have the perpetual defence of "but you started it all", when your brewery grows and grows, possibly to the point of minor bankruptcy, and evicting children to make room for a few more fermenters.

Its a fantastic situation to be in, I hope you make the most of it.
haha...yes she's only got herself to blame! If i'm getting a talking to about doing a brew or playing a new game on the playstation i just reply with "well YOU gave them to me!"

Shuts them up....

Now to save up for a new fridge so the one we got now can become the designated "beer fridge" :D

Hey Gang...

I'm KoNG, truthfully i'm upto brew number 7 or 8 but the first 5-6 were straight K&K with various different brew partners, being my brother , my father and lately my grandfather who happens to live near by now.
the last 2 brews have been a bit more adventerous using all malt, adding hops and also racking and bulk priming. (not much for most of you but i'm planning to move on quickly)(although space at the moment definately prohibts any full mashing etc.)
got an ESB bavarian wheat in the fermenter at the mo'

My next adventure is to teach the old timer (grandfather) lots of the tricks i've learnt on the forums... as he is stuck in the past and definately loves his homebrew, i'm sure he would love to step it up a level.

homebrewing definately runs in the family with several generations passing on the trend... my great great grandfather started the legend, he actually passed on while walking down to the shed to put down a brew... apparently he either slipped or had a mild heart attack and landed on one of the bottles he was carrying down... my grandfather always says... there was no better way for his pop to go....!!! here here to homebrewing.. (and my great great grandfather..)

bottoms up... :chug: KoNG

hi, found this forum just before xmas & finally decided to register. was homebrewing kits about 7 yrs ago but a change of job & city put it on hold till now. have just got back into k&k and decided the 1st investment was a keg system (being much more productive than bottles). the 1st few kits were ok, (like riding a bike) but a bit of tuning is in hand. unfortunately being summer, patience with the cc process has been lacking :(

also a fermentor fridge & ag brewing is going to be difficult until larger accomodation is found. so maybe in the 2nd half of 05 .... something to aim for :)

in the meantime, i'll try to add to hbkitreviews.com

cheers

Howdy all.

I'm originally from Niagara Falls, currently doing a PhD in Chemical engineering at UQ in brisbane. I started brewing about 15 months ago with a Coopers kit and initially with supermarket ingredients. Quickly moved on to extract batches and then AG not too long after. I am currently addicted to brewing, may enjoy making it more than drinking it. Just stumbled on this site the other day and signed up.

Welcome thehipone - new myself - just venturing into full AG after a year of extract/partials...
We could make a good brewing team - I may just prefer drinking it to making it - lol - though it's a close run thing.... :D

Welcome everyone, its great to see this site growing so quickly. It means that some people on here must have good ideas about homebrewing.

Now all you have to do is figure out who these people are (hint: I'm not one of them).

Welcome thehipone
may catch up for a brew day later in the year

Batz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back