Introduce Yourself.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry Ross just got your reply, I'm in Paddington about 200 mtrs from Rosalie Village if you know it. And thanks for the welcome Doc! :)

G'day fellas, I too am another who has been lurking and reading but didn't register until today. I did so I could check out the discussion on MSB Aus Strong Ale '03 V '04 (couldn't find the thread, will have to practice my search technique). Anyway I've been brewing for less than a year (just kits) and this site and others have inspired me to dreams of AG brewing. I have read plenty about it but would also love to see a full demo. I know there is one in the Blue Mts this weekend but I can't get up there. I'm about a 5 min walk from ESB in Clovelly - there seems to be differing opinions on whether this guy still operates at all, he's never open when I go past, even on Saturdays? Is there such a thing as a regular mash demo these days in Sydney or is it just a case of keep your eyes and ears open?.
Feels good to be a real member.

cheers, Sticko

Welcome Stickler.

Pat Casey regularly runs demos at Faulconbridge. He posts to this site, send him an email or pm and he would probably email you the details of the next demo. The demos range from basic kit stuff to all grain, depending on the day.

Not sure what has happened to Leon who ran the ESB Clovelly shop, maybe try putting a note under the door?

If you cannot get to a demo, just start with mini mashes. That way, you can add a mini mash over the top of a kit, get a feel for how mashing works and not worry about efficiency or hopping.

There are quite a few threads around on mini mashing. The great thing is, you can do it with very basic equipment, except a large saucepan, that can be bought cheaply through the bargain shops for thin SS. With mini mashing equipment, you can do a full ag from go to woe, just a smaller batch size.

Thanks p.o.l. I'll look towards mini-mashing as my next goal (small steps - only just started racking and bulk priming). What are some of the bargain shops? - I've only ever bought kitchen stuff from k-mart.

Yes, Kmart sell nice big saucepans, or any of the cheaper chains like Target and Big W. Mitre 10 had an excellent set on special a while ago, a set of 4, from about 4 litres to 20, I think, went for $44, hmmm that's enough fouring in one sentence.

Chinese supermarkets are also a good spot to try.

Yes, small steps are the way to go, especially if you have no mentor to go visit. Keep building on your knowledge, skills and equipment.

Before you know it, everything you look at will be viewed as a possible implement to be used in the berwery. Every cupboard will have brew stuff in it. Every flat surface will have some sort of brew gear, beer glass or brewing paraphenalia on it. Your bookshelf will groan with books, your inbox will be stuffed with digests and posts from brewing friends, your favourites folder will be full of beer links, your kitchen sink crowded with rinsed and draining bottles, and all of a sudden, that great day will be there when you bed down the first all grain brew.

Stickler said:
I did so I could check out the discussion on MSB Aus Strong Ale '03 V '04 (couldn't find the thread, will have to practice my search technique).

Welcome Stickler.
Here is the topic.
I was very dissappointed in the 2004 Aust Strong Ale over 2003.
I actually had another bottle at the weekend and the 2004 has improved, but compared to the body, aroma and flavour of the 2003 version, they just don't compare.
I have my latest clone of the 2003 version in secondary at the moment.

Beers,
Doc

Thanks Doc, at the risk of opening an old discussion, I totally agree with you. I have only been really tasting beers properly for the last couple of years and the first Aus Strong Ale really impressed me. Very disappointed by the '04, left me wanting in so many ways and just seemed so basic compared to '03.
Anyway, should leave it at that, I look forward to picking all your brains further down the track.

Just joined and this is my inaugural post to this message board.

I'm an Australian homebrewer but I live in Tokyo and make do the best I can. I buy ESB 3kg kits from Autralia for most of my brews, but occasionally do all-grain beers at a friend's place. He has some equipment and more space than I do.

I can say I've been brewing for 27 years, since I was 15. I bought my dad a Brigalow homebrew kit in 1978. He wouldn't use it so I did. One day a mate and I got stuck into the product and went to footy training three parts pissed. The coach thought it was very funny and the nickname Brigalow was applied and stuck in some quarters for a long time after that. Fortunately it has fallen off these days.

Of course there were long periods of no brewing in that 27 years. Then there was a 7 or 8 year period of kit and kilo, gradually moving to steeping specialty grain and hop tea bags. My first real "local" home brew shop was owned, I think, by Pacific Brewing and was on the highway near the Great Northern Hotel in Artarmon/Chatswood. It burned down one day and the shop moved to Gordon.

Around that time, 1997, I started to look for more in brewing. This concided with the rapid spread of the World Wide Web, and soon I was gobbling up information about extract brewing, IBUs, and so on. I started shopping at ESB Clovelly Road, Randwick. Within a year I was all-grain brewing and have not looked back since. I was a member of Northside Brewers for a few years until moving to Japan at the beginning of 2001.

A highlight of my time brewing in Australia was when we (Northside Brewers) organized the NSW competition in 2000. The day of the judging we put on a "Brewing Geat Beer at Home" show at a hotel in Darling Harbour. We had the comp presentations and talks by some notable home and pro brewers. It was a wild and bumpy ride organizing it, but it went alright in the end. Anyway, all the kegs of home brew we put on let everybody see things through rose coloured glasses.

I've been a member of the Australian Craft Brewers email list since it started and have co-authored a couple of articles on the web site. But I have noticed this board recently and like the UBB format, so I figure there is room for more than one brewing list/board in my life.

Well, nice to meet you all and I look forward to contributing the odd post from time to time. If you're ever coming through Tokyo, look me up because you'll need a guide to show you where the best beer is (and don't forget your corporate credit card! :D )

Steve
:beer:

G'day Steve! How ya been? :D

Fancy running into you over here! How's The Land of the Rising Sun and big dollar been treating you?

Welcome on board. It's a good forum. :)

Warren -
:beer:

welcome to the site steve.looking forward to postings from japan.dont know cj by any chance do you?

cheers
big d

warrenlw63 said:
G'day Steve! How ya been? :D

Fancy running into you over here! How's The Land of the Rising Sun and big dollar been treating you?

G'day Warren. I was wondering where you got to. Now I know. I don't know about this big dollar thing. The yen seems to be on the way down every time I look at it. I think the Aussie was worth about 65 yen when we came over, now it's 86 or so. Some people just can't take a trick.

big d...thanks for the welcome. I'm sorry I don't know cj, or at least not by that name. Is he/she a brewer in Japan and member of this forum? If so I suppose our paths will cross. Perhaps sooner rather than later.

Steve

Hi Steve
Good to see you on board. There is room for 2 forums in Australia and you will find this one a little different than Craftbrewers forum. I enjoy both and I know a lot here enjoy both.
Cheers
Ray

welcome steve, hope you enjoy the ride.

hi steve
cj is a resident of japan who posts on homebrew adventures(usa site)and has a ubeaut brew called cj,s hourglass that a few of the resident ahb hopheads have brewed.tastes the grouse if your into heavily hopped pale ales.

cheers
big d

big d said:
hi steve
cj is a resident of japan who posts on homebrew adventures(usa site)
[post="46864"][/post]​
Ah yes. I just researched him on that message board. I think I know of him. He lives in Numazu, about 140km south of Tokyo. There is a brewpub there and I know the owner/brewer of that. I was down there to see the brewery two weekends ago. The brewer mentioned that he sometimes gets help from a local home brewer. Looks like that'd be cj. Hopefully I'll cross paths with him one day. Incidentally, and here's a big name drop for you, the day I was down to see the brewery, Michael Jackson the beer writer was brought in for a visit. I got to have a chat with him. He is from Northern England and wanted to know where in Australia I was from. When it was NSW that was good, and when it was revealed I had a rugby league background, that was just the answer he wanted. So he wanted to talk about rugby league rather than beer. It was a wonderful encounter.

Steve

Steve Lacey said:
big d said:
When it was NSW that was good, and when it was revealed I had a rugby league background, that was just the answer he wanted. So he wanted to talk about rugby league rather than beer. It was a wonderful encounter.

Steve
[post="46876"][/post]​

Good man Steve. A true believer - beer and Rugby League, the greatest combination of all (although my team hasn't exactly covered the game in glory this week :( ) I knew there was a reason I'd always liked Jackson's reviews :D

Welcome to the forum.

Shawn.

Welcome to all the new members. :beer:

cheers
johnno

top stuff steve.
gough... what can i say.................as long as you dont post at KNIGHT time i guess we are safe. :p
then again ive nothing to CROW about as jazman will tell you.

:beer: B)
big d

big d said:
top stuff steve.
gough... what can i say.................as long as you dont post at KNIGHT time i guess we are safe. :p
then again ive nothing to CROW about as jazman will tell you.

:beer: B)
big d
[post="46889"][/post]​

:D

Bring on the season...

Shawn.

Hi I am Robbie "Bindi" to my mates,
I got back to home brewing a year ago and 29 brews later I love it, statred back doing 'kit and kg' and got sick of that 4 brews later when I stumbled onto Grumpys site early last year and started partials and have not looked back, I now have 4 AGs under my belt and getting better [but I still love my partials].
At any one time I have 1 in 1st ferm 1 in 2nd and 1 in cc. and I am slowly converting my K@K mates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back