Introduce Yourself.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
BlueJ said:
Thanks barfridge

There are quite a few threads on weizen beers on the forum and most mention yeasts, so it looks like there is plenty of information here for us to consider.

I think we will get temperature control worked out and we are being careful about sanitation (so far). Yeast looks to be the next most important item, so we will be looking closely at the yeast and how to handle it in the best way.

Thanks for the welcome, and now its down to business. The bro-law is due 'round in about 30min to get the Stout underway...

We will try some of the 1st brew (Lager) tonight I should think. It was fairly clean-tasting going into the bottles 4 days ago, and it will be interesting to see if it is going in the right direction.

Just out of interest - how many forum members experienced mysterious weight gain after taking up this hobby????????
[post="117903"][/post]​

Welcome to the forum BlueJ
You've picked a great style to experiment with, but one that can take quite a while to master.
There are a number of wheat beer lovers here to help you on your journey.

prideofthesouth said:
Hi guys,
Its about time I said Hi......
Just wanted to say what a great site this is and thanks for helping a noob like me via your collective beer brains...
cheers,
p.s. a pic of my work in progress....
View attachment 6616
[post="118469"][/post]​

Hey PrideoftheSouth,

Fancy a Speights ? I'm assuming you are a kiwi from the deep south. Welcome aboard and let the SOD and Heritage flow freely :p

Beers,
Doc

I could go a Speights about now....
After 4 years I have found a place in sydney that has it so now I don't have to miss home at all.......

as long as it aint the gold medal ale

Thanks for the welcome Doc

I have learnt so much just in the last few days since joining the forums. It is a great resource, and all the better for being Australian and therefore being about the local ingredients, equipment and issues that are unique to Australia.

Now I need to bridge the gap between talking about it and doing it, so I'll be concentrating on making my first decent beer.

Once I have some confidence I will be into the weizens in a big way. I have basically been a wine drinker for 10+ years, partly because I could no longer stomach Carlton or VB. Going to Southern Germany and trying hefeweizens on tap entirely changed my attitude about beer - I realised that beer could actually be pleasant and interesting to drink, not just something to throw down the gullet on hot days.

So emulating the style of the German wheat beers is my home brewing holy grail.

Hi!
I have already posted some comments in the Duvel clone recipe and the Grolsch recipe. I am a homebrewer from the Netherlands. I have been brewing for 4 years now, batch 67 is supposed to be brewed next week, it will be a Dutch style high fermenting Bock beer. I have built a small brewery in my garage last winter, check out the pictures on my web site under "nieuwe brouwerij". If you want to read the text in crappy english, use the funny translator from babel fish at http://babelfish.altavista.com/babelfish/tr.

I suppose I won't be checking this forum daily. I could have a daytime job on reading american, german and australian fora, and the moderator work on the dutch forum (www.hobbybrouwen.nl/forum) but I have a (well-paid) daytime job already as project manager at a middle sized pharmaceutical company.

I'm a fan of hoppy beers but I guess most homebrewers are. I'm also very much into cloning, I'm fond of unravelling the secrets of the best Dutch, Belgium and German beers. The fanatic team of the hobbybrouwen forum gather their information straight from the breweries rather than from (always outdated) books: we visit the breweries, mail them and phone them. Please feel free to ask questions, you can use the e-mail account [email protected].

I don't know much about Australian beers, I have only tasted some Cooper's. Cooper's dry yeast is available in the Netherlands (if you know the right person), I have made some excellent beers with that yeast.

That's it for now, I hope you have the time to visit my web site. Here's a pic of my brewery right when it was finished.

30brouw.jpg

G'day all,
Diffo is my name & i just wanted to introduce myself. I'm a 29 yo helicopter engineer working in lovely Afghanistan at the mo :eek: .
Have been brewing now for over 3 years, since i started working in Papua New Guinea, beer up there is pretty shock'n at the best of times.
Have a reasonable set up back in Oz, 3 tap flooded font & a free standing Guinness font also.(next bit of the project is to set up a glycol sys for it when i get home) Will try & show some pics of the setup when i get home in a fortnight.
Anyway no need to carry on, just like to say that some of the info going round is very helpful & i'm glad to be a member now.
Cheers :beerbang:

Hi

Just found this forum and spent the last couple of hours looking through it.

Fantastic!

Started brewing about 25 years ago with a rudimentary mash setup, before finding kits.

All I remember is that it was a lot of work! I'm about to embark on a brewery building project in my shed which will help me get back into mash brewing.

Oh, and beer is on me :beerbang:

Welcome to the site Whistlingjack.
Whats your location?

Cheers
Big D

MObeer said:
Hi!
I have already posted some comments in the Duvel clone recipe and the Grolsch recipe. I am a homebrewer from the Netherlands. I have been brewing for 4 years now, batch 67 is supposed to be brewed next week, it will be a Dutch style high fermenting Bock beer. I have built a small brewery in my garage last winter, check out the pictures on my web site under "nieuwe brouwerij". If you want to read the text in crappy english, use the funny translator from babel fish at http://babelfish.altavista.com/babelfish/tr.

I suppose I won't be checking this forum daily. I could have a daytime job on reading american, german and australian fora, and the moderator work on the dutch forum (www.hobbybrouwen.nl/forum) but I have a (well-paid) daytime job already as project manager at a middle sized pharmaceutical company.

I'm a fan of hoppy beers but I guess most homebrewers are. I'm also very much into cloning, I'm fond of unravelling the secrets of the best Dutch, Belgium and German beers. The fanatic team of the hobbybrouwen forum gather their information straight from the breweries rather than from (always outdated) books: we visit the breweries, mail them and phone them. Please feel free to ask questions, you can use the e-mail account [email protected].

I don't know much about Australian beers, I have only tasted some Cooper's. Cooper's dry yeast is available in the Netherlands (if you know the right person), I have made some excellent beers with that yeast.

That's it for now, I hope you have the time to visit my web site. Here's a pic of my brewery right when it was finished.

[post="118665"][/post]​

Darn it Mo, I'm gonna need to get out my "Beginners Dutch" CD and start learning the language.

I had a look at your website and the hobbybrouwen forum, and I'm surprised at the amount that I can read, based on my limited knowledge of Dutch. My Dad is a Nederlander, but hasn't been back since emigrating here in 1954 at the age of 13. He was a country boy from near the German border, so he spoke a local dialect.

It's just some more encouragement for me to get to the lowlands of Europe, sooner rather than later.

Daag (or Dag)
Seth out :p

Gidday Whistlingjack,

Nice to meet you mate.

Tim

Welcome Whistlingjack Here is a site to start with for info on basic AG, it is where I went after doing bucket in bucket all grain, it's only a start <_< obsession to follow. :blink:

Thanks Tim

Great link bindi, thanks. Just what Ive been looking for.

My early mash attempts were performed in the kitchen at home, until the mess and the clutter got to my wife. Well, different circumstances now so its into the shed and work out that plumbing and water supply...

Hi all. I have just started brewing in the last couple of weeks. Bought one of those micro brew setups (Coopers) to start with & see how it progresses from there.

The 1st brew was the standard Coopers Lager, which seems to be doing OK so far. The next was a pale ale Coopers. Dunno about that one. Anyway, time will tell.

Found this site with a bit of help from google, & after a bit of snooping about, signed up. Hopefully I will get a heap of good info from here.

Brad

Welcome Brad

AHB is a great resource. There are lots of experienced brewers here all the time and they are happy to share their experiences and have a chat.

I am about to start my 3rd brew and I started with exactly the same Coopers kit, so I guess we are in the same boat. I have learnt heaps from just patiently searching and reading.

Enjoy your stay

BlueJ

Hi all!

Just joined this awesome site. Lots of great information.

I haven't actually done any brewing yet - I'm a complete newbie! I decided recently that I would like to try my hand at home brewing.

Here's why - for years I thought I hated beer! Couldn't stand it, always prefered a good red wine any day! I always thought of beer as quite bloating, gassy and generally unpleasant tasting.

Some time a few years ago I had my first Guinness, which I quite enjoyed. So finally I realised that not all beer is bad. However, I usually find that towards the end of my 2nd Guinness in a sitting the bitterness gets too much for me.

About 2 years ago I went to the Lowenbrau (German restaurant) in Sydney, and had quite a few jugs of Lowenbrau Dunkel, a dark german beer which I thoroughly enjoyed (to the point of falling over). It was around this time I formulated my theory that the only beer I like is beer I can't see through!

Since then I have enjoyed many dark German and Belgian beers very much. But also while travelling I discovered something else - some pale beers I enjoyed (german, japanese and some british beers)! So my conclusion now is that it is just Australian beers that I don't like.

So it is with this in mind - the fact that I can't buy a decent beer in this country (other than expensive and hard to find imports) - that has led me to the inevitable thought that I should make my own beer! Of course, the fact that I really like the idea of doing something creative and scientific also thrills me.

I live a few minutes walk away from what looks to be a fantastic home brewing shop, so I am planning to go buy myself a starter kit, etc and get started this weekend.

Now given the beer types I have mentioned are to my taste, does anyone have recommendations of which kit beer(s) I should start with? I want to start off slowly and surely - i.e. with a kit - and work my way up to the "deep end", i.e. All Grain.

My local shop has the Brewferm range which looks to have some good Belgian styles, so that is what I was thinking of starting off with.

- GothGargoyle

Hey GothGargoyle,

Add your location to your profile and some of the local will be able to help you out with whats available in your area.

Cheers
Jye :beer:

welcome gothgargoyle to ahb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back