Introduce Yourself.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Welcome aboard Ash. Please come along to our brew day next month, the more the merrier.

Howdy

Long time lurker - thought it was about time I came out from behind the curtains.

Started brewing 25 odd years ago when i was still at school - with mixed success - I think Muntons were just releasing their range in NZ where I grew up back then. Coopers was about all you could get otherwise - dont think the yeast was much better than bakers yeast - certainly tasted pretty ordinary. I have also made wines and dabbled in distilling.

To cut a long story - I have spent most of the last 10 years in the UK and had the good fortune to go to France and Germany regularly. Totally blown away by these little pubs/hotels in the back of beyond near Stuttgart (im sure its the same throughout Bavaria) where each beer is local to the town, served in its own shape glass (flute) and has so much more flavour than the swill that is commercially available. That said, gimme a pint of Guiness in Dublin anyday - liquid velvet heaven. There was a brewery close to where I lived in Surrey called the Hogsback - made a TEA that was well worth the 3 quid a pint they charged - serveed at room temperature - those poms were onto something i reckon

Have moved to Mandurah to bring up my kids in above freezing temperatures and set up my business over here. I'm gradually collecting enough stuff to get into AG brewing - warming up with a few lagers and ales from kits at this stage. Have found another use for the wine fridge that I brought back from the UK - has a 6 - 14 Degree range and fits 2 30L fermenters in it easily - should make fermenting at low temps simple.

Am going to jump straight into Kegging - as a function of not having enough time to bottle.

Would be keen to attend a brew day if there was one close to Mandurah.

Cheers

Jason - aka Roger Mellie (from the VIZ magazine - the bloke who swears a lot)

Onya Jason!
Welcome onboard. Lots of info here. Have fun brewing.
Cheers
Steve

Hi All,
I'm Pete, I live in Carlingford and have been happily brewing for just over a year now.
I've been having fun with the different coopers kits, but am now branching out slowly with a few little additions, mainly hops and different DME's.

I'm up to my 11th beer, a raspberry blonde that's still in the primary carboy. Looking forward to the first tasting of that one, then it'll be straight on to a super-stout!

I reckon doing kegging, a mash, or even a partial are still a long way off for me, as I'm still a beginner (and the wifey has a bub on the way), but it's still a great fun hobby!

I have to say ,this site is fantastic. All the info I ever need is right at my fingertips! Thanks to all!

Hi guys, another lurker who thought it was high time to put his (nick)name out there...

I just wanted to start by saying how fantastic this resource is for brewers of all levels and abilities. There are some amazingly experienced people here, who (most importantly) are willing to part with some of their hard-earned knowledge to help others. Keep up the top work!

I used to brew during the late years of University (originally to conserve $$$s). It didn't take long to realise, however, that VB/CUB tap products are a pretty inferior bunch and that my brews with a 'personal' touch were far preferable :p

After a few OS trips (...and plenty of sampling along the way) I have a massive urge to brew again. I'm 29 now and seriously keen to get a keg system under way. Once again, AHB has come to the rescue with superb recommendations and price guides. Unfortunately, I am in a small apartment until September '06, so I will spend the next months finding great deals for kegs, taps & general equipment....with a chest freezer to come later.

Thanks for all you guys have done for the homebrewers of Australia - I'll post photos etc on my website (still in the early stages) when the ball gets rolling.

Cheers,
Bugwan.

bugwan said:
Hi guys, another lurker who thought it was high time to put his (nick)name out there...

I just wanted to start by saying how fantastic this resource is for brewers of all levels and abilities. There are some amazingly experienced people here, who (most importantly) are willing to part with some of their hard-earned knowledge to help others. Keep up the top work!

I used to brew during the late years of University (originally to conserve $$$s). It didn't take long to realise, however, that VB/CUB tap products are a pretty inferior bunch and that my brews with a 'personal' touch were far preferable :p

After a few OS trips (...and plenty of sampling along the way) I have a massive urge to brew again. I'm 29 now and seriously keen to get a keg system under way. Once again, AHB has come to the rescue with superb recommendations and price guides. Unfortunately, I am in a small apartment until September '06, so I will spend the next months finding great deals for kegs, taps & general equipment....with a chest freezer to come later.

Thanks for all you guys have done for the homebrewers of Australia - I'll post photos etc on my website (still in the early stages) when the ball gets rolling.

Cheers,
Bugwan.
[post="125373"][/post]​
So Bugwan, welcome, where ya from.
Would be great if all new members would fill in details in "My Controls", then you may get invites to brew days, ETC.

Normell

Well Norm,

In his sig at the bottom is does say

"North Melbourne brewhaus"

Welcome bugwan. What kinds of beers did you get to like on your travels? I'm sure you can get all the info you need on here to brew what you are thirsting for. :D

Totally agree with you Normell. Can the mods change the sign on form so that Location is one of the required fields? Saves people asking every new person where they are from. :huh:

Stuster said:
Welcome bugwan. What kinds of beers did you get to like on your travels? I'm sure you can get all the info you need on here to brew what you are thirsting for. :D

Totally agree with you Normell. Can the mods change the sign on form so that Location is one of the required fields? Saves people asking every new person where they are from. :huh:
[post="125389"][/post]​

Thanks Stuster and Normell - I thought I had added in the location in my profile, but it musn't have stuck...Have amended now for the record.

In terms of taste, I have always had a huge soft-spot for German/Czech Pilseners & Lagers and Belgian Trappist concoctions. Most of my next foray into brewing will start with kit-based pilseners & lagers. I generally start with a kit and experiment with malts and hop varieties. It's been such a long time - looking forward to smelling the sweet aroma from the fermenter again :D

Cheers

Welcome to all new board members.Enjoy the hospitality and info.I will be having a few cyber and also real beers for you all.

Cheers
Big D

Hi All

Been lurking for a little while now and would like to fill you in on who I am.
Haven't homebrewed for about 3 years now and am now going to get back into it, due to the fact that commercial brews are way overpriced, and I can make something that I prefer.
Stopped brewing originally because I hated bottling but I'm about to get serious and get a keg set up going. I also have a 3rd fridge that I'll be converting to a fermenting fridge and all I'm deciding on is which way I'll be going with the thermostat (Gro-warm or wire in the one available from Mashmaster).
Aa soon as I get everything together I'll be right back into it.
I'll mainly brew kits, coupled with malt extract and hops additions and the odd lot of steeped grain thrown in for good measure.
Like all styles of beer but my favourite ATM is the IPA from James Squire. Heaven in a bottle.
I'm right into motorbikes, having roadraced for 4 years (gave up due to the fact it sent me broke) and currently work in the bike industry.
I reside in Holsworthy in S.W. Sydney with my wife and 2 sons (4 and 6 y/o).
Love the site as it's full of great info.
Thanks for having me along.

Slurpdog said:
I reside with my wife and 2 sons (4 and 6 y/o).

[post="126285"][/post]​

So do I! Is your house like a circus big top and your the mute ringmaster? :eek:

Welcome Aboard :beer:

Slurpdog said:
Stopped brewing originally because I hated bottling but I'm about to get serious and get a keg set up going.
[post="126285"][/post]​

Welcome Slurpdog,

Tonight is my first night having a fully operational keg setup and I can tell you its worth every penny! I've brewed for around 8 years so I know the pain of bottling well. But with kegs you just open the tap and watch the beer empty out of the fermenter! You could even have a beer from the fridge while you wait! Bloody brilliant!

Abso-bloody-lutely Brauluver.
It's hard for the missus and I to keep up but I remember what I was like as a kid and so I can't be too hard on them.
Wouldn't change 'em for the world though.

Thanks for the welcome T.D. I've just purchased a Fridgemate, online from Mashmaster, and as soon as it's here and wired in I'll be setting up the keg fridge and laying down my first brew in about 3 years.
Can't wait! :beerbang:

Hi All,
I'm acting on Wee Stu's suggestion to post here & give bit of an intro. Michael's the name & I live in Belair in Adelaide.

About 4 years ago I I bought a Coopers homebrew kit and had a bit of fun making a few brews. I enjoyed them at the time but in all honesty they were really quite bland. Left it alone for awhile & then started again using Grumpys kits. Enjoyed these a whole lot more and discovered a liking for ales/dark ales/ porters /stout - hence stoutdrinker.

I discovered AHB late last year and joined up so I could research more on the possibility of going AG. I lurked for a while scouring the pages, compiling a list of what I would need & how I would attempt my first brew. There is so much info & experience here it has been a font of knowledge.

Well I'm nearly there! I've picked up a 2nd hand electric urn for my hlt, Ive converted my old rectangular esky into a mash tun & have had help from Don here in Adelaide to get an old keg for a boiler. I've even ordered some hops etc from Craftbrewer.
So, thanks to all the inspiration here I'm not too far from AG #1. I've managed to get my gear together without having spent a fortune. I'll see how it goes and modify things if needed. I'm going to try copying a porter recipe posted here.
Watch this space for the result.
Cheers,
Michael/stoutdrinker

Welcome :super: post some photos when you have it setup, I really enjoy seeing photos of what others are doing. :)

Will do Bindi.

I like pics of other setups too although they generally make me envious. There are many many talented brewers out there.

I think I've looked at EVERY photo ever posted trying to see what would be best for me. So far its all pretty simple. I just want to get great beer into bottles.
Once thats going ok I might see if I can set things up to make life easier on brewday.

Cheers.

Aloha stoutdrinker.

I see you are a hills dweller. You might want to consider hooking up with the Blackwood Winemakers and Brewers Club.
These guys meet on the third Wednesday of every month, and they are a very friendly and sociable bunch. At the moment they are more winemakers than brewers, but they are always looking to recruit new brewers. If you do go along, seek out Berndt or Brad as they are both all grain brewers, and tell them wee stu sent you.

Their next meeting is on Wednesday June 23, and is for the interclub beer competition with the Amateur Winemakers and Brewers Club of Adelaide (a word of warning this web site is under serious reconstruction). The interclub comp is for Bohemian Pilsner, if you have one, please bring it along.

Speaking of the Adelaide club, again this bunch, of plains dwellers is predominantly made up of winemakers, but the number of brewers has grown significantly in the last few months. We meet on the first Tuesday of each month. Our next meeting is on 6 June. We have a beer comp each month, and this month the style is STOUT :party: .

You would be more than welcome to come along with one or more of your stouts. For 40c, we will tell you what we think of it. PM or email me if you want more info.

awrabest, and welcome to the wonderful world of AHB

stu :beer:

Welcome all new brewers of late.
i just noted, the person that started this thread (51 pages long) some 3 years ago, only posted 9 times and faded away.
i have no point really, just thought it interesting.
great thread to start.... Thanx Spanner

Gidday Slurp Dog and Stout Drinker,

Nice meat you

Floculator

Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back