Introduce Yourself.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sculler, rickyt, Daawl, welcome brewers, search, read, plenty of help available here. But beware making better beer is highly addictive. Gets to the point where you can't wait to get home when your out with mates drinking megaswill, you just want to drink beer with some colour flavour and aroma.

Screwy

G'day one and all,
My name's Ant and I've been making home brews for a couple of years.
Actually, I haven't made one for a while, so I'm here seeking some answers. Hopefully, I'll find the right place to look.
Namely, my two brand new brews (one lager and one dark ale) are struggling. The cellar under my house (not a fancy cellar) will sit evenly at 16 degrees C. I'm assuming that 2 degrees wouldn't be enough to prevent fermentation.
Strangely, though, the SG readings for these first two days have been odd and disappointing. One's not moving and the other has gone 1042 to 1038 to 1046!
So, that's why I'm here right now.
I'll be sticking around, though.

Cheers,
Ant.

Welcome to the board, Ant.

Your cellar will be the envy of many here if you can maintain that temperature! You may find that the kit yeasts might struggle at that temperature though. They're really optimised for a little higher. They'll get through it though, so you shouldn't worry too much. If you want to give it a helping hand, you can always add some better yeast, available from your Local Home Brew Shop (LHBS). You'll find that the yeast provided in the lager kit is probably actually an ale yeast (they withstand higher temperatures than lager yeasts). US-05 (aka US-56) will handle that temperature no problems, so if you can find it, it would be a good choice.

Try and fill in your location details, and you'll probably find someone local to you that can help even further.

There is so much info on this board, so stick around. It may give you an unholy obsession with stainless steel ans shiny things though! :p

:icon_chickcheers:

edit: smiley didn't work.

G'day one and all,
My name's Ant and I've been making home brews for a couple of years.
Actually, I haven't made one for a while, so I'm here seeking some answers. Hopefully, I'll find the right place to look.
Namely, my two brand new brews (one lager and one dark ale) are struggling. The cellar under my house (not a fancy cellar) will sit evenly at 16 degrees C. I'm assuming that 2 degrees wouldn't be enough to prevent fermentation.
Strangely, though, the SG readings for these first two days have been odd and disappointing. One's not moving and the other has gone 1042 to 1038 to 1046!
So, that's why I'm here right now.
I'll be sticking around, though.

Cheers,
Ant.

What yeasts you using ? I'd love to have a constant 16 degrees room. Get the yeasts to match the temperature I say ! Check out the temperature range of your yeasts before you worry about too much !

That said, your SG shouldn't go up !! Must be how you read them or did you stir the mix ??

Welcome to the board, Ant.
There is so much info on this board, so stick around. It may give you an unholy obsession with stainless steel ans shiny things though! :p

I've just read about Sodastreams and, well, the obsession is definitely kicking in.

Thank you Bonj and Fatgodzilla for your comments and tips.

The good news is the SG readings this morning on both barrels indicate activity in the right direction.

With regard to the yeasts I've used, I would say they are ale yeasts. I'm not being particularly brave with my return to brewing: Cascade Lager and Coopers Dark Ale. Just based on what I read here yesterday about varying pitching temperatures and what I've noted on the packaging about the pitching temperatures, I'd say you're both on the money.

Now, I have a plan. I'm going to stay the course with these two and bottle them. Then I'm going to brew the same again, but vary my procedure to make it less hasty and more stable. I'll see about getting some other yeast, so thank you very much for that advice.

With regards to my cellar, the previous owner of our house, a former publican, put some concrete slabs down in a brick enclosure beneath the lounge. It's not advised for people with back problems to go in there, nor if you struggle to carry 23 litres of wort more than 4 metres :p (something I'll be avoiding to improve stability). And, while it needs a good clean, it is functional.

Thanks again for the comments. I think I'm gonna like here.

Cheers,
Ant.

I've just read about Sodastreams and, well, the obsession is definitely kicking in.

Thank you Bonj and Fatgodzilla for your comments and tips.

The good news is the SG readings this morning on both barrels indicate activity in the right direction.

With regard to the yeasts I've used, I would say they are ale yeasts. I'm not being particularly brave with my return to brewing: Cascade Lager and Coopers Dark Ale. Just based on what I read here yesterday about varying pitching temperatures and what I've noted on the packaging about the pitching temperatures, I'd say you're both on the money.

Now, I have a plan. I'm going to stay the course with these two and bottle them. Then I'm going to brew the same again, but vary my procedure to make it less hasty and more stable. I'll see about getting some other yeast, so thank you very much for that advice.

With regards to my cellar, the previous owner of our house, a former publican, put some concrete slabs down in a brick enclosure beneath the lounge. It's not advised for people with back problems to go in there, nor if you struggle to carry 23 litres of wort more than 4 metres :p (something I'll be avoiding to improve stability). And, while it needs a good clean, it is functional.

Thanks again for the comments. I think I'm gonna like here.

Cheers,
Ant.

Your laughing now son. The yeasts and the brewing temperatures ...

then will come the different additives and malt extracts ...

then you'll learn steeping grains then mini mashing ...

All grain brewing ...

In a few years time we'll be asking you for advice.

Enjoy the spoils of your labour :beer:

:D It's like my destiny has just been spelled out for me.

Hi all!

I'm new on the board and thought I would poke my head up and say hi rather than troll around aimlessly.

Been brewing since 2002 with a hiatus for 2 years b/w 05-06 but im back in the thick of things and I have prepared for my 1st all grain this weekend.

Going be a whole new can of worms to open up and become addicted to the bug again.

The only friendly face I know ere is 'thirsty boy' who I met around 12 months back at a beer dinner. I hope to share any knowledge I have and reap what I can from all you beer geeks!

Cheers!

P.S - I have submitted the AG brew I plan to make on the recipeDB. I have previously made this as a partial/extract so the base malt is the only difference. AWESOME American amber ale. Will be great to compare the Extract/partial to the AG result.

Hi all!

I'm new on the board and thought I would poke my head up and say hi rather than troll around aimlessly.

Been brewing since 2002 with a hiatus for 2 years b/w 05-06 but im back in the thick of things and I have prepared for my 1st all grain this weekend.

Going be a whole new can of worms to open up and become addicted to the bug again.

The only friendly face I know ere is 'thirsty boy' who I met around 12 months back at a beer dinner. I hope to share any knowledge I have and reap what I can from all you beer geeks!

Cheers!

P.S - I have submitted the AG brew I plan to make on the recipeDB. I have previously made this as a partial/extract so the base malt is the only difference. AWESOME American amber ale. Will be great to compare the Extract/partial to the AG result.

Howdy Fourstar, welcome to AHB :beer: Hope to here from you in the near future.

Hi all,

I grew up with my old man making home brew with the old duck next door, I myself dabbled with my own homebrew (from cans) while at uni back in the '90's, i think I have issue 1 of Ausbeer somewhere in a box under the house ;)

I've now got to the stage in life where I've got the time and space to gently ease myself back into it. Finally, a use for all those Grolsch stubbies I've collected over the years (spewing I left 140 of them with a mate in Vic before I moved to QLD '99) :(

Cheers,

GT

Hi all,

I grew up with my old man making home brew with the old duck next door, I myself dabbled with my own homebrew (from cans) while at uni back in the '90's, i think I have issue 1 of Ausbeer somewhere in a box under the house ;)

I've now got to the stage in life where I've got the time and space to gently ease myself back into it. Finally, a use for all those Grolsch stubbies I've collected over the years (spewing I left 140 of them with a mate in Vic before I moved to QLD '99) :(

Cheers,

GT

Hi Geoff, know the Holland Park pub oh too well, had a mate living at Coorporoo and we spent too much time there over beers and pokies :)

I notice the BABBS group had a meet in the area from a previous message I noted some time back....

Begin Quote

Brisbane Amateur Beer Brewers (BABBs) October meeting will be held October 25th, 2007 at Lynndon Park Bowls Club, Galsworthy Street, Holland Park, Qld. Arrive 7:30pm for an 8:00pm start.

The feature of this month's meeting is the year's last mini-comp, Pilsner / Lager. At time of entry, beer must be nominated into BABB's beer classes 2a (Pilsner) or 2b (Pale Lager).

Visitors are most welcome. Bring a bottle or two of your own beer to share around.

For further information, check out http://www.babbrewers.com or e-mail [email protected].

End Quote.

Might be worth getting to know them :) Cheerz Wab

Hey GT,

Great to see you getting back into it :beerbang:

If your interested in sampling a few beers once a month get along to BABBs, we meet every 4th Thursday at Holland Park so its nice and close for you to stumble back home :D

Cheers
Jye

edit - to quick wabster :p

hey guys... been a lurker for some time here, figured i should post in this thread!
been brewing a bit while I was in college (2005-6), kits - and a lot of spirits :rolleyes:, I wasn't a beer connoisseur at the time (actually, i would have been a beer noob... i liked teds!), so I wasnt too fussy about the taste of my brews! Since then, I moved into a new house, and tried to do a couple of brews - brewcraft premium kits - they turned out terribly, because of the high temp at the time... (middle of summer). So I gave brewing a rest for awhile.

since then, and especially since finishing uni mid-this year, I have gotten back into it :D have gotten a huge amount of info from this site so far! invested in a keg setup, chest freezer, and procured a bunch of AG equipment from a friend who was building a bigger system.

brews so far:
JSGA style APA, extract + steeped grains, one of my best beers so far!
porter - extract brew: nice, not a session beer!

1st AG- german pilser - ray mills recipe, fantastic, until I accidentally froze the keg (it didnt come out to well...). it's clearing out again now
2nd AG- all B-saaz, pilsner malt, 10% wheat, us56 - turned out great, drank it too fast, only a couple of bottles left (tragic!)
3rd ag - APA, cascade + amarillo (45-50ibu), nice but too bitter (needed more body or sweetness, or I just got a bit too enthusiastic with the hops hehe)
4th AG - pale lager - 25% rice, pilsner malt, 34/70, b-saaz. having a diacetyl rest at the moment
5th ag - APA, recipe adapted from the SFPA thread, still brewing
?? who knows next, wheat, or another APA

happy brewing :chug:

oh and I should add, dave from greensborough home brewing is a champion!

g'day all.

just joined after given the link from another forum www.fishsa.com

looks to be heaps and heaps of info here.

i'm from adelaide and have brewed before using mainly coopers. the lure of a full tasting beer and the obvious cost saving has me giving it a go again.

i am using the 18litre s/s kegs and need to aquire my co2 somehow.

i used to hire the bottle but gave it back when i stopped brewing.

$350 to buy from the brew shop on sema4 rd. looking for a cheaper option b4 i commit.

thats it from me. off to do some searching on this great looking site.

rick

my 2nd post to this forum.

I hired a bottle of co2 from BOC. realised that I was getting back into home brewing for other reasons than just the cost savings.

brewed a coopers pale ale and coopers stout. the taste of both have reignited my passion for a good homebrew. nothing worse than forking out good dollars at a pub and getting a headless, flat glass of rubbish.

both beers were not perfect, with more foam than beer with my initial pours. both kegs were primed with sugar, 140 gm's.

have force carbonated my current 2 kegs. will ask questions on this forum when i get the "feel" of the forum.

rick

Hey guys!

New here! I'm a 25 year old graphic designer from California. I started brewing about two years ago and like most people have had mixed results. This site is amazing. I found it when I was looking for temperature control stuff for my PC / fridge (you've got some really smart people here). Right now I've got a holiday ale and red ale in kegs with an IPA in the first fermenter (started with brewing salts on the IPA...excited to see how that changes it).

I've been a lurker but will start posting as I get more to contribute (mostly "yeah, I had that problem too" type posts").

Oh, and what are the laws on shipping beer from the States to Australia?

Cheers!

Phil

Hey guys!

New here! I'm a 25 year old graphic designer from California. I started brewing about two years ago and like most people have had mixed results. This site is amazing. I found it when I was looking for temperature control stuff for my PC / fridge (you've got some really smart people here). Right now I've got a holiday ale and red ale in kegs with an IPA in the first fermenter (started with brewing salts on the IPA...excited to see how that changes it).

I've been a lurker but will start posting as I get more to contribute (mostly "yeah, I had that problem too" type posts").

Oh, and what are the laws on shipping beer from the States to Australia?

Cheers!

Phil

Welcome Phil, this site is a great resource, hope to see more posts from you in the future, are you AG brewing or kits? Unsure about laws re shipping beer to Oz. but go ahead send me as much as you like :lol:

Screwy

Hi Everyone,

I've been poking around for a few weeks just taking this all in, I might as well jump in.

I'm a 25 year old firefighter from Sydney, and got into homebrew about a month ago because of some spare time on my hands...

I picked up a Coopers homebrew kit from woolies (I've found a LHBS since then, all good...) and my first attempt was the can of lager that came in the box, along with a kilo of dextrose...

Well the result was pretty predictable; nothing really "wrong" with it, but not a lot right with it either...

My second batch has just been bottled; a 3kg ESB wheat kit that I'm going to sample tomorrow evening...

I've just ordered a fridgemate to put on the chest freezer sitting in the garage, and I'm looking at the whole BIAB thing with a lot of interest... Seems like a perfect way to step into an AG without too much equipment...

This could start to get expensive for a gadget freak like me...

Yep...that sounds about right....next thing you know you're convincing yourself that a $2000 All Grain setup is going to help you make cheap beer....welcome to the fold :D

Just joined the other day, 35 year old Australian... I am a recent addict to homebrewing, I tried it 15 years ago gave up did not like the taste or the effort to get the bad taste. Since then I have been a part time commercial beer drinker just Mr Joe Average, and much more of a red wine drinker. Then several months ago went to a mates place had one of his home brews and almost fell of my chair with the great taste, and the keg set up was very simple...

Worst BBQ of my life since then under the banner of "cheap" beer to the wife I purchased a few kegs and a ebay fridge to try a few brews.. Did the standard brew that came with my starter kit and not bad (not that good either but a clear pass), I then tried a Wet Pack from TCB an oaked Ale average at first but over time became just unbelievable good !! In between a few other brews all fairly good as well, and I am addicted and just purchased a fermenting fridge of ebay..

Saving money on beer is the most expensive thing I have ever done, the upside is my red wine expenditure has almost sunk to zero I now have the 2 fridges, 6 kegs, several books on order and a taste for beer like never before, I had no idea how good beer could be. I was on holidays last week and really found the bottle shop beer very average.

I have a heavy stout in primary right now, in the fridge a Wheat Beer (TCB Wet Pack), Pal Ale quite bland for the wife (she likes it but it is average to me) and my second Oaked Ale.

I think I want to avoid the AG option for a while as it sounds like it will feed my addiction

Stephen

Welcome to AHB and your new addiction .Hope you enjoy the ride as im sure you will.

Cheers
Big D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back