International Beer Collector - experiences, beers, etc

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kaapse brouwers IRA

Pours clear amber, small head. Aroma of biscuit and toffee.
Flavour is loads of malty biscuit, decent bitterness and loads of pine. Tastes like there's a touch of rye spiciness too - will need to check.

Really well balanced and delicious beer, no gimmicks.

New box arrived today. Looking forward to a few of these over the weekend!

The winter saison from last month was an absolute cracker!!!

Floreffe prima melior.

Long ago, I bought a floreffe 750 mL something or other that tasted strongly of liquorice and hot alcohol. I was not a fan. Can't remember the variety.

This floreffe, at this time is a totally different slice of cake. Rich, warm, complex, no discernible heat considering 8%. Holds a faint head, deep toffee, light choc, pumpernickel and brown bread crust.

Really good, might be the difference between well handled stock and not (first mentioned was dan murphys) but I hold floreffe in much higher regard than once I did.

This month arrived and I'm excited about most of the inclusions. Tripels, a troubadour ipa, a porter and a delicious looking 2013 quad. Got stuck into watou tripel but from aroma to first and subsequent sips I'm getting loads of dms. Underneath that is a very typical tripel. Not sure what's going on.

Typical tripel for me is good, by the way. Love tripel. Refreshing and deadly.

Have the beginning (or ending - hard to tell) of a very mild cold so maybe justice not being done but:

St Amatus vintage 2013.

Goodness me.

Smells and tastes like chocolate wine. Plums and stone fruits, very low carb, no alc hit whatsoever (11%abv).

My kind of quad and quad is my kind of beer.

The monthly sixer worth it for this alone.

De molen roest & rogge (rye red).

There's a reason de molen make a regular appearance in these six packs. Never a repeat, never a bad one.

They never disappoint, got my hands on a few bottles of Weer and Wind, Bourbon barrel aged barley wine.
About as good a barley wine as it has been my pleasure to get seriously messed up on.......
Weer-Wind-etiket-2017 (2).jpg

Unfortunately I seem to have got a bottle of that in this month's sixer, coupled with some other seedy looking beers like a postel dubbel and a st feuillen grand cru.

Not sure what to do - I'd commiserate by drinking beer but all I seem to have at hand is a delerium tremens christmas special, couple of leffe cascade ipa, piraat triple hop and a suspicious 750 of chimay grande reserve barrel aged. Seems I ordered some extra beers last month in addition to the regular 6.

Terrible idea. Any advice welcome.

send the chimay to me for proper disposal.

This month appears to be an absolute cracker, rubbing my grubby hands together!

I don't have it yet...

Need to go pick it up with a couple Westmalle Tripel's. Time to knock up a clone and need to refresh my memory on how it tastes...

de Molen win manticle’s prestigious ‘brewery of the last 8 months’ award.

Just tucking into one of my bonus piraat triple hops. The booze is strong with this one.

De Molen are seriously impressing the hell out of me!
Mark

They never disappoint, got my hands on a few bottles of Weer and Wind, Bourbon barrel aged barley wine.
About as good a barley wine as it has been my pleasure to get seriously messed up on.......
View attachment 108569
Been saving this one for a special moment of peace without the young ones around.

Glad to hear this opinion.

Latest posts

Back