Interesting Lager Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JWB

Reaction score
I came across this lager recipe and was wondering if it would taste like a hophog or simillar?

2 can Lager (cheap ones from Coles)
12g Hallertau
12 Saaz
Good ale yeast

Method: Boil Hallertau for 10 minutes and take off heat, add Saaz and steep for 10 minutes.
Strain into fermenter, add both cans of lager, and make up to 23 litres.
Add yeast at 20c and ferment as usual

Bottle or keg when FG reads 1005 or lower

Im going to try it anyway......I like the thought of plenty of hops

Cheers

JWB

Recipe looks like it would make a nice enough beer, but I doubt it will be much like a lager.
The 2 cans of fermentables will make a fairly malty beer, and you are adding really only a relatively small amount of flavour/aroma hops.
I think you'll have a struggle to get a 2 can brew to drop down to SG 1.005, I'd say if you can get it down to SG 1.010 you will have done well.
Anyway, good luck with it!

I used to do toucan Coopers Lager (original series) brews and they turned out quite nice. With an extra kilo of dex they have a similar flavour to Euro "hobo" beers such as Tennents Super or Skol Super. I just used the kit yeast.

But careful as they foam out like buggery.

Edit: I've recently been drinking a few Bavaria 8.6% and they have nice hops in as well, from Warra's original part of the World.

Go for it, I say.

Back