Installation Of A Fridgemate

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evanmit

Reaction score
I am loking at ordering a fridgemate to chuck in my brothers fridge which is sitting in my shed until he moves out of home next year. What I would like to know is what exactly is involved in setting up the fridgemate.

From what I gather, I can use it without having to modify the fridge at all hence my brother won't be annoyed to find his fridge different from when he left it. What exactly has to happen to the fridgemate from when it comes out of the box until it is ready to use? Any soldering or tricky stuff I should know about?

Thanks

I'm pretty sure that it has been covered in other threads, but here goes anyway.

You'll need:
An extension lead
3 wire joining caps (not 1 as quoted in the supplied doco)
A Jiffy Box (or similar)
Cable glands (2 for extension lead, 1 for probe cable)
A flat-tipped precision screwdriver
A wire stripper (or sharp scissors/knife if you are used to stripping wire with the wrong tools (not suggested for beginners)).

All that is involved then is this:
Cut a hole in the box to mount the FridgeMate (it has mounting clips, so no further fitting hardware is required),
Drill holes for the gable glands,
Cut the extension lead in half and strip the tips of each wire (you'll need a few extra short lengths of wire for the final connections, so if you don't have any wire similar to the stuff inside the extension lead cut a short section off the lead (10cm or so) and you can use the wires from it),
Shove in the extension lead sections and probe cable then tighten the cable glands to secure them in place,
Follow the provided wiring diagram and connect each wire as shown (note, the connections inside the FridgeMate are closed when supplied, so you must first open them) with the screwdriver,
The Earth wire will need a joining cap as you have cut the lead in half,
The other wires both "tee" off so they also require caps to do this (don't join them by putting two wires in a single connector inside the FridgeMate, that's bodgy),
Close the box...you are done :)

Of course, you could also solder and shrink tube the wires instead of using the caps, but I'm often hesitant to solder floating wires that carry mains current...just me I guess :ph34r:

To use, you just plug the male of the extension lead into the mains and the fridge plugs into the extension cord female...no modification to the fridge required B)

PZ.

I would assume there si somewhere that you can buy them preassembled?

Nope, not the FridgeMate.

You can buy others already assembled, but you'll be looking at around the $150 mark :blink:

Just buy one and DIY...feels better knowing you've done some of it yourself too :super:

PZ.

Latest posts

Back