Ingredients Of Brewcraft German Lager No.60

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moy71

Reaction score
Hi all. What a great site this aussiebrewer.com is !

I am trying to make a Munich Lager and according to the Brewcraft tin, I should use a German Lager brew enhancer no. 60. Can anyone please tell me what the ingredients are for this no. 60?

It also suggest to use hallertau hops together with Saflager yeast which I will probably be doing as well. Has anyone tried this combination yet?

I tasted Big Helgas's Munich Lager last weekend and I am hooked. Main reason why I bought this Brewcraft tin.

Thanks all!

Hi Moy,

Do get the Saflager yeast, especially at this time of year. DONT brew it warm (for god's sake or whoever)....Brew it somewhere between 12-15degC if possible....

It may take a good 7-10 days to finish fermenting, I will (almost) ALWAYS leave a brew in the fermenter for 2 weeks minimum. Especially a lager in winter. So, whilst the wait is agony, trust me, its worth it.

Do you have a hydrometer? Learn how to use it if you havent already. Airlocks are a waste of time and misleading....except for that wonderful bloop sound they make...ahhh the bloop...i havent heard it in so long. I WISH SOME ONE WOULD RECORD IT FOR ME.

No idea about the german thingy enhancer...am sure it would be good,

Hallertau...yeah YUMMY....or Saaz if you prefer a czech style beer like pilsner urquell....or tettang (sp?)

Welcome to the site, its a great place. Even if some BLOKES get their knickers in a knot from time to time, I have learnt SO MUCH and I make (at least in my opinion) very drinkable beer, each brew just gets better and better. My last one was an Austrian/German Lager, hallertau hops, WLP830 yeast.....its YUM... (http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum//ind...st&p=616066)
For example, I now brew in a fridge which has temp control...WTF!! who would think that brewing in a fridge is a good idea...in fact its super genius...its exactly what you should do, but all thanks to this site.

PS....this website (e-book) is GOLD...it is a wealth of info, just like this site, i totally recommend it mate....I have printed it and bound it and read it quite often..... http://www.howtobrew.com/intro.html - How to Brew - By John Palmer)

Rendo

Hi all. What a great site this aussiebrewer.com is !

I am trying to make a Munich Lager and according to the Brewcraft tin, I should use a German Lager brew enhancer no. 60. Can anyone please tell me what the ingredients are for this no. 60?

It also suggest to use hallertau hops together with Saflager yeast which I will probably be doing as well. Has anyone tried this combination yet?

I tasted Big Helgas's Munich Lager last weekend and I am hooked. Main reason why I bought this Brewcraft tin.

Thanks all!

Can't help you with your efforts to copy Big Helga but the hop selection is one of preference. Many people prefer Saaz hops, but I prefer Hallertau Mittelfruh. My guess is the brew enhancer would be some sort of LDME, maybe a wheat or pilsner malt extract. I saw some bags of wheat malt extract when I was at craftbrewer last time.

Going by the brewcraft website for the Dutch lager the temperature range is a bit high. A good temp for a lager is close to 12, no where near 18, let along 20. Lager requires a bit more attention to detail due to the softer flavours so do some reading up on diacetyl rest and temperature control. I have never had good experiences with dry hopping lager so to pass on my own experiences don't dry hop (I'm not sure where your recipe calls for the hops). And as pointed out above a couple weeks cold conditioning really helps the process; lager basically means storage in German.

Latest posts

Back