India Pale Lager

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Motabika

Reaction score
I have tried a few IPLs and love the crispness and how the hops stand out so much.

Looking at brewing one and after a few pointers.

Firstly I am looking to use about 75% Pale ale malt, 10% each of munich and vienna and 5% Caramunich. Does this look ok?

Also am thinking about this as a hop schedule

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1428099922.825609.jpg

Is two vials of yeast and a 3L starter enough?

Which yeast should I use?

Sorry for all the questions but this will be my first lager

While malt backbone is good in a lager and I love a blend of pale, munich and vienna in an alt, I reckon simplify the grist a bit to let the clean, crisp lager profile complement the hops.

I really like the munich lager and czech pils wyeasts but they do throw a bit of diacetyl so you need a good ferment schedule and plenty of healthy yeast.
2 fresh packs + 3-4 L starter in normal gravity, single batch volume should be ok off the top of my head. Otherwise look at drauflaussen.
Pitch cool.

manticle said:
While malt backbone is good in a lager and I love a blend of pale, munich and vienna in an alt, I reckon simplify the grist a bit to let the clean, crisp lager profile complement the hops.

I really like the munich lager and czech pils wyeasts but they do throw a bit of diacetyl so you need a good ferment schedule and plenty of healthy yeast.
2 fresh packs + 3-4 L starter in normal gravity, single batch volume should be ok off the top of my head. Otherwise look at drauflaussen.
Pitch cool.
Thanks Manticle.

Would say 95% pale and 5% vienna be a better grain bill?

Looking a OG of 1.066

That sounds good.
Best check a yeast calc for the required amount of yeast. I'm a guesstimate kind of guy, usually 6L, active starter, same wort is what I do but lagers get better results when yeast is calulated rather than guessed. Plenty of aeration/oxygenation too.

American brewing always seems to use 80 ingredients to achieve what you can with 6.

Think I may go with this malt bill, sound ok?

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1428134472.394843.jpg

Motabika said:
I have tried a few IPLs and love the crispness and how the hops stand out so much.

Looking at brewing one and after a few pointers.

Firstly I am looking to use about 75% Pale ale malt, 10% each of munich and vienna and 5% Caramunich. Does this look ok?

Also am thinking about this as a hop schedule

attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1428099922.825609.jpg

Is two vials of yeast and a 3L starter enough?

Which yeast should I use?

Sorry for all the questions but this will be my first lager
With regards to the hop schedule... it seems sacrilege to waste mosaic on a single bittering addition. It contributes amazing tropical fruity aromatics when added late and is great in combination with amarillo. Do you have any clean high alpha bittering hops that you could put in its place? Add 30g Mosaic in the whirpool and you'll be blown away :icon_drool2:

I would probably just go with a simple 80 base, 15 munich/vienna, 5 light crystal grain bill personally

edit... oh and if you can get your hands on some s-189 lager yeast (AKA Swiss Lager) I would go with a couple of sachets of that. Very clean and allows hop aromas to shine. I made an all Nelson Sauvin lager with it and it worked out really well

HoppinMad said:
With regards to the hop schedule... it seems sacrilege to waste mosaic on a single bittering addition. It contributes amazing tropical fruity aromatics when added late and is great in combination with amarillo. Do you have any clean high alpha bittering hops that you could put in its place? Add 30g Mosaic in the whirpool and you'll be blown away :icon_drool2:

I would probably just go with a simple 80 base, 15 munich/vienna, 5 light crystal grain bill personally
l

I too love mosaic, but have some that had been in the freezer a bit too long so figure I will use it for bittering.

In terms of the malt I was trying to avoid using crystal, but if it needs it it needs it

Motabika said:
l

I too love mosaic, but have some that had been in the freezer a bit too long so figure I will use it for bittering.

In terms of the malt I was trying to avoid using crystal, but if it needs it it needs it
It doesn't need it... it's just my preference. I tend to like using about 200g of light crystal (say for example caramunich I at 40L) in a beer that has a substantial hop bill. It just seems to provide a little more balance to the beer. It will still allow you to get the beer nice and dry and clean but will just take any of the sharp edges off.

HoppinMad said:
It doesn't need it... it's just my preference. I tend to like using about 200g of light crystal (say for example caramunich I at 40L) in a beer that has a substantial hop bill. It just seems to provide a little more balance to the beer. It will still allow you to get the beer nice and dry and clean but will just take any of the sharp edges off.
I might run with 5% Caramunich I I thinks,

Thanks for the help, much appreciated

So I am going to brew this finally on the weekend, I have gotten my hands on S-189 and will go with the malt bill above, I really undecided on the hop schedule though, I want it to be full on hop flavour but want it to be unbalanced, how does this look?

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1430302813.219202.jpg
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1430302762.753081.jpg

Anyone #tumbleweeds

brewing this tomorrow, rolling with hop schedule above unless someone convinces otherwise

Dae Tripper said:
Good luck with the brew champ. Looks like a wild hop schedule. Let us know how it goes.
Thanks Dae Tripper, fingers crossed.

Back