Increasing Brew Volume

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kocken42

Reaction score
Hey guys,

For my next batch I am going to hopefully be putting down a Dr. Smurto's Golden Ale in extract version. I have noticed in the recipe that it says to make it to 20 litres. The last few batches I have made have been 20-23 litres and I find for all this effort, achieving 2 - 2.5 cartons can sometimes be a slight downer.

I was wondering if I make it up to 27 litres if the beer will still be fine? I have entered the specs into the kits and extracts spreadsheet, and multiplied all of the ingreadients by 1.35 to keep the same ratio for 27 litres. The problem is that adding 1/4 LME cans could be quite annoying and messy, so rather than increasing the 1.5kg light LME and 1.5kg wheat LME I would just add about 0.5kg of LDME and 0.5kg of wheat DME.

Really I'm just looking to be more efficient and effectively achieve an extra carton from the same effort.

No problem just use some dried ME to top up to retain the same ratios much easier than fiddling around with part cans of liquid malt. Might have to up the quantity of hops a little bit to compensate too.

Just remember that LME is about 20% water so 1kg LME is the same as 0.8kg DME.

No problem just use some dried ME to top up to retain the same ratios much easier than fiddling around with part cans of liquid malt. Might have to up the quantity of hops a little bit to compensate too.

Yeah have calculated all the adjustments accordingly in regards to the Caramalt and the hops.

Thanks for the info.

In the retail section there was a mob selling 60 litre drums. Worth every of the few dollars they cost, and get you back to a decent headspace for when the krausen comes booming off 50 litres of stout. Much easier than faffing about trying to squeeze more from the smaller fermenter, which can be put to good use knocking up something else.

Back