Inconsistent bulk priming

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Phil Mud said:
I arranged the hose in the bottling fermenter similarly to Fat ******* and the beer swirled around a lot as it was filling, hence I was confident it had mixed properly.
Just having it swirling around as it fills doesn't guarantee good mixing. The sugar syrup is much denser than the beer, so if there are any deadspots on the bottom it will just sit there. You really can't tell just to look at it so that is why most people give it a gentle stir, just to be 100% sure it is mixed. Yours was probably mixed well, but it is so easy to stir it and it won't do any harm.

Phil Mud said:
Once I bottled, the beer was in my garage for a few days & was probably a bit cold. I moved it upstairs and fave each bottle a little shake - its now been in the bottle for 4 weeks.
I think this is your problem. I have never used this yeast but as it prefers to ferment warm I would guess that it doesn't like getting cold. If you swirled it back into suspention while the bottles were still cold it probably just dropped straight out again. Now that they have come back up to house temp of 20C+ gently swirl the yeast up again and your carb should be good and even in about a week. I have had the same problem with WY 1968.

The carb calculator linked by eddy22 is the one I use too and always works well for me. According to this calculator, with slight variation depending on your max ferment temp you primed @ approx 2.8 parts which should be pretty good for a saison.

Just an update, a bit if heat & agitation seems to have reinvigorated the yeast. Much improved carbonation, and flavour is pretty great too. Sadly I drank about a third of the batch in sub-optimum condition.

Latest posts

Back