Importing Seeds

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Will this become an argument about homeland security?
potential environmental hazard of the Humulus lupus. We can't assume it will (or won't) be a threat if left untended.
crap, we must assume that the seeds will be a threat, viable seeds, or for that matter dead seeds or any form of organic material carries along with it other pests, other diseases, other virii.

Dr K's statement about propagation of the species would suggest that it's not going to be a major threat

Crap (hey Jayse I love this idea of no censorship, sorry just joking, more crap indeed). read above.
And whilst I am at it
mandatory salary tithe goes. I've missed the status of where you're at with this import, it appears that my english is failing me
Well clearly it is, unless of course you earn only around $300 a week taxable income, which probably places you in one of the "bludger" groups you so happily bludgeon.

K

When our Nurseries, or for that matter, 'Variety Stores' such as Kmart, Big W et al have a legal requirement to stock only native,non-invasive species, then I will entertain your broad strokes concerning the blanket ban on importing seeds from overseas.

This arguement actually goes a lot deeper. There's been a trend in recent years in people opting for 'native' landscapes gardens. The sad truth is that in most cases, they are as detrimental as the next door neighbour having a pretty little bergonia garden, because the plants chosen are not native to the local ecosystem in which they reside. There is a blatant disregard for local ecosystems and what can be sustained in bushland environs. A Native of the Central Cost is quite likely not going to be a Native of Sydney. (for the non NSW peeps, my urban name dropping is of locales only a couple of hubdred km's apart).

Well clearly it is, unless of course you earn only around $300 a week taxable income, which probably places you in one of the "bludger" groups you so happily bludgeon.

Hey I was simply inspired by Vertigo's off-handed comments. I won't rant on further on the topic of open -handed aussies in this thread (although most happy to do so on the pre-existing thread elsewheres - Ive already spend my RuddMoney on something so self-centered and self aggrandizing that a single cent will never, ever go back into the Australian economy :p )

have a legal requirement to stock only native,non-invasive species, then I will entertain your broad strokes concerning the blanket ban on importing seeds from overseas.

For someone who is blatantly against censorship, government intervention and bludgers then that is a pretty brash comment.
I might also add that I have no interest or input into a so called blanket ban on seed importation of seeds, as such your entertainment or not is irrelevant.
There are widely available pamphlets under the banner of "Grow Me Instead" that are specific to locations and "suggest" that certain plants should not be grown in certai areas (in Canberra, Cootamundra Wattle, Qld Golden Wattle for example), this is not a legal requirement though you are suggesting it should be...
Begonias has quite happily live next to Grevilleas but as I am sure you are aware there grasses such as serrated tussock and worse Mexican Feather grass that have become a massive problem. Can you easily pick which is which, the Mexican feather grass or the native Stipa species, I cannot.
Of course none of this beer related but we all have other things in our life than beer.
We sit back in relative comfort and talk in hushed tones about our great trading partner Japan being the closest we ever got to invasion, we stick a torpeoded Jap mini sub outside our national war memorial like a head on traitors gate, suprise or children that Darwin was bombed and forget about all the other invasions, wave after wave.

K

K

food for thought/argument, its quite easy to import seeds from amsterdam. :p

OK, I hope that this will be the end of this thread. I now know for sure that "seeds and so on are illegal imports."

Thanks, lads.

PS: Don't even try it. You could, if you have heap of $$$.

Latest posts

Back