Importing Seeds

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vertigo

Reaction score
Edit:

Sorry about that. I'm thinking about importing some seeds, well a packet of 50 (Humulus lupulus) I tried calling and searching the importation of these seeds, but no luck so far. Can someone who has imported seeds from the USA, or works in this field please tell me if I'm going to get in trouble.

ok, i will assume this was a query in regards to the importation of seeds from the USA

first things, check http://www.aqis.gov.au/icon32/asp/ex_querycontent.asp to check if you need and import permit or need to meet any conditions prior to bringing the seeds in. personal and commercial shipments have different regulations.

if in doubt get a customs broker.

Yeah, I have done that, but no luck. I checked out the prohibited listings, and the restriction listings. Nothing.. Yeah, I rang customs, nothing.

from what i can see it depends on where AQIS classify seeds as to what your conditions would be, hop pellets, dried hops and hops for nursery stock all have different import conditions attached to them

best contact AQIS Plant Programs on [email protected] or 02 6272 3917

Edit:

Sorry about that. I'm thinking about importing some seeds, well a packet of 50 (Humulus lupulus) I tried calling and searching the importation of these seeds, but no luck so far. Can someone who has imported seeds from the USA, or works in this field please tell me if I'm going to get in trouble.

I assume you don't care whether the plants you grow from the seed are male or female ?

Screwy

Yeah, calling them is pretty well next useless. I have already tried to call them. The person on the other end of the line said "Have you got a pen? write this website down. aqis.gov.au/icon and do a search on the name of the plant, or seeds that you would like to bring into the country" I have tried it..nothing.

I assume you don't care whether the plants you grow from the seed are male or female ?
Not at the momment.
Please post your results if you get a final answer Vertigo.
Oh yeah, if I don't get fined, or sent to jail (joking)

what about this page on the AQIS site

I would have thought that gave you most of the info you need.

Virtigo,
Be very careful and do the homework as the others have said in previous posts. Persist with AQIS until you get an answer and make sure that it is in writing.

I had a not to great experience 20 years ago in Uni with a house mate, who tried on behalf of his father to import seeds from a certain fruit tree. Lets just say it ended up with our house being raided by customs and Federal Police, the house was trashed, a big #12 boot in my back whilst being hand cuffed and an evening in the watch house. I ended getting off as I had no involvement but my house mate and family got a massive fine and a conviction.

So err on the side of caution would be my advice.

that import condition only refers to
Hops (sometimes referred to as Leaf hops) are the whole flower dried and uncompressed. Refer to the ICON commodity Hops (Humulus lupulus) - Dried.

Hops cones are dried, cultivated (unprocessed) flowers. Refer to the ICON commodity Hops (Humulus lupulus) - Dried.

Hop plugs are whole cones (flowers) that have been dried and compressed into a plug. Refer to the ICON commodity Hops (Humulus lupulus) - Dried.

Hop pellets are highly processed hops consisting of finely powdered hop cones compressed into pea-sized tablets. Refer to the ICON commodity Hop pellets and hop extract.

Hop extracts are the liquid bittering essences of hops and are used for convenience in the brewing industry. Some liquid hops extracts are processed with a wide variety of chemical solvents that dissolve the hop resins into solution. Refer to the ICON commodity Hop pellets and hop extract.

hops seeds dont fall into here.

As the OP has mentioned he has already phoned AQIS and the told him to refer to the ICON. my advise now is to shoot them an email and advise that he is unable to find the exact import conditions. They usually respond within 2 working days to requests like this.

Or, he could put this in the too hard basket and try to source seeds locally.

Ambitious project to grow hops from seed, but good luck and report back what you find.

Like screwtop said, the gender makes all the difference so grabbing seed means you'll be growing lots of useless plants that won't have hop flowers. They're part of the hemp family so they're like their more smokable cousins if you get my drift. ;) Some have the goods, some don't.

Using rhizomes means you'll get the stuff that works and flowers. Believe plenty of people here have previously had great trouble importing hop rhizomes from here:Freshops US Rhizomes - as you can see prices on the site are very reasonable, but quarantine is a problem.

But like I said, good luck! And if you can get Amarillo into this country, you'll have a lot of fans here!

Hopper.

Virtigo,
Be very careful and do the homework as the others have said in previous posts. Persist with AQIS until you get an answer and make sure that it is in writing.
No prob's. Like hell they put anything in writing.
I had a not to great experience 20 years ago in Uni with a house mate, who tried on behalf of his father to import seeds from a certain fruit tree.
Naught boy. I looked up citus trees, shit, heaps of them are prohibited.

fine. classify them as a fruit tree seed. here. or mixed seeds here or most likely use this one for herbs. easy.

or again. contact a customs agent. as in a person that will act as your agent/representitive with customs etc. thats what they do for a crust. not a person that works for customs.

Ambitious project to grow hops from seed, but good luck and report back what you find.
You got that dam right. I'm a very ambitous person, not much gets in my way. I will get back to you guys, if this works out ok.

No prob's. Like hell they put anything in writing.Naught boy. I looked up citus trees, sh#t, heaps of them are prohibited.

A huh! Do not take any short cuts what so ever and have everything verified in writing with a name if at all possible. FIL (Father in Law) just retired from 38yrs of services with Customs, they don't stuff around and they have some amasing kit at their disposal to sniff it out.

Virtigo,

I had a not to great experience 20 years ago in Uni with a house mate, who tried on behalf of his father to import seeds from a certain fruit tree. Lets just say it ended up with our house being raided by customs and Federal Police, the house was trashed, a big #12 boot in my back whilst being hand cuffed and an evening in the watch house. I ended getting off as I had no involvement but my house mate and family got a massive fine and a conviction.

So err on the side of caution would be my advice.

WTF :unsure: Intense bro! So what was the said fruit tree seed? :ph34r:

A huh! Do not take any short cuts what so ever and have everything verified in writing with a name if at all possible. FIL (Father in Law) just retired from 38yrs of services with Customs, they don't stuff around and they have some amasing kit at their disposal to sniff it out.
I'm not trying to take shortcuts, I just want to know if I'm going to get hit heaps of fees, charges for importing some seeds that don't appear to be illegal.. Ask him...Please, we could all get the answer now. Or just MP me and I'll take the actions required to complete the importation.

FIL (Father in Law) just retired from 38yrs of services with Customs, they don't stuff around and they have some amasing kit at their disposal to sniff it out.
I have called them as well, and they just f....ed me around. I rang AQIS and they f....ed me around, so I'v emailed them. I bet I get f....ed around again.

f...ed around untill I get f...ed up in cuffs. Oh well

Latest posts

Back