Imperial Stout Recipe help

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taeanbrewer

Reaction score
Came up with a recipe and wanting to know if there are any clear faults or ideas anyone has? I have not added flaked/rolled oats and have brown coffee simpsons and chocolate wheat which I have not used before.

22L Batch BIAB
Est OG- 1.087 (80% efficiency) est ABV 8.7% IBU 50

6 kg BB Pale malt
500g Crystal Medium
300g Roasted Barley
200g Rye
300g Black Malt
500g Brown coffee simpsons Malt
300g Chocolate Wheat

40g Chinook (first addition)
15g Willamette (end of boil)

2packs US-05

8g Gypsum
1 tsp yeast nutrient
1 whirlfloc tablet

The recipe looks good to me but 100g of coffee is a lot. For a single batch if I use coffee I very roughly grind about 30g and leave it in for one day, and then taste it.

Last week I had a Coffee Roasty Stout from Modern Times and thought the coffee was a little overdone (really well made beer though). From looking at the genesis of the recipe for that beer it seems they use about twice as much coffee as I do but don't crack it. You find the development of that recipe here:
http://www.themadfermentationist.com/2012/06/toasted-oat-coffee-stout.html

Here's link from a thread I had, there's some very helpful info in there. If you use search function, there's a truckload more info ion the site as well. I've just done a RIS, mashed at 65C, and plan on splitting the batch, half will be dry beaned at end of primary, other half will be an addition of cold steeped at same time. One half will be 250ml cold steeped addition, other will be 30gm roasted beans.

http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/86431-espresso-vs-brewed-coffee-in-brew/

I've mentioned this on another thread (edit: it just happens to be the thread that is linked above, there was some good discussion there), but I have followed the method of the Mad Fermentationist with success. The ratio he uses is approximately 30g of whole roasted beans per 10-12L of wort/beer, directly into the fermenter. Note they are whole beans, not ground.
You'll want to make sure that you have the time to be able to bottle/keg at any time from 1-3 days after adding the beans, because they impart their flavour quickly! I added mine to a porter with vanilla. It was at a perfect level of coffee flavour at 2 days, but I didn't bottle until day 3 and it was overwhelming by then - it's only just starting to settle off now after ~3-4 months of being in the bottle and probably still needs another 3-4 months until it is acceptable....

goatchop41 said:
I've mentioned this on another thread (edit: it just happens to be the thread that is linked above, there was some good discussion there), but I have followed the method of the Mad Fermentationist with success. The ratio he uses is approximately 30g of whole roasted beans per 10-12L of wort/beer, directly into the fermenter. Note they are whole beans, not ground.
You'll want to make sure that you have the time to be able to bottle/keg at any time from 1-3 days after adding the beans, because they impart their flavour quickly! I added mine to a porter with vanilla. It was at a perfect level of coffee flavour at 2 days, but I didn't bottle until day 3 and it was overwhelming by then - it's only just starting to settle off now after ~3-4 months of being in the bottle and probably still needs another 3-4 months until it is acceptable....
Yeah, I was rereading the thread and noted your post about that, that's what gave me the inspiration to split and dry bean one half of the batch, Will make sure I don't go any further than 2 days, the original recipe I based mine from (put together by a professional brewer, by the way) had a 20L batch with 445ml of espresso added, others' thoughts posted on my thread lead me to using cold steeped instead of espresso...a lot less time and labour intensive too. Beans aren't an issue as I roast my own so can do a light to med. roast which will balance out better results suited to cold steeping and hopefully pick up some of the richer flavours to complement the stout. The stout is tsasting quite nicely at the moment two and a half weeks in the FV.

Cheers guys for the heads up. Brewed today and all went well. Well go off your suggestions and add 30g at first for a day pr 2 at the end of fermentation and then more if needed after.

Cheers

Latest posts

Back