• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

Immersion Chiller- New

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OutbackNash

Reaction score
I recently made myself an immersion chiller from some copper- had so much that I made two.
Photos attached, hasn't been used- fitted with copper fittings. Asking for $100, they cost me about $80 each for raw materials. PM

Cheers!

IMG_3891.JPG

IMG_3892.JPG

Removed phone number - generally not a great idea to post on the net.

I can edit back in if you really want but I'd recommend agianst it.

Pick up in Fitzroy North- Melbourne. Since Nathan got in first I've got no issues holding it for you mate, can meet up after christmas- I think I'll be in Melbourne on the 23rd until the arvo- back on the 27th.

I made both with 18m of 1/2 inch copper- so it will be around 9m in total.

Have you used your other one yet, mate? If so, how quick does it knock down temps?

Since you have two you could try putting one in an ice water filled esky to pre-chill the tap water before it goes through the one in the kettle. Has anyone tried that?

mstrelan said:
Since you have two you could try putting one in an ice water filled esky to pre-chill the tap water before it goes through the one in the kettle. Has anyone tried that?
Yeah mate that's what I do. My old igloo mash tun now has a immersion chiller inside it. One entrance is the hole for the tap and I drilled another for the exit. It's all sealed so water can't escape the Emersion chiller and the ice water in the igloo dosent leak. It's a beauty! Gotta freeze a shit load of ice but!

I was having troubles with my thermometer (bought on ebay, first use, absolute dud!) so I didn't get an accurate measure of how long it took- I'd been running it for about 15-20 mins before I clued onto the thermometer and it had cooled it from boiling to room temp. That's not a bad idea mstrelan, how important is this difference in chill time for my beer if I did choose to do this? The chiller uses 9m of copper and works well, no complaints from my first use

well, I waited for the currents to subside, whirlpooled it, then chilled it. Is this the right way to go about it? With the thermometer out I just hoped i was in the range, the thermometer sticker on my fermenter said it was at 26, its fermenting now at 21

I am of the understanding that if you whirlpool while chilling, the chilling process is much quicker....

OutbackNash said:
the thermometer sticker on my fermenter said it was at 26, its fermenting now at 21
I kinda feel like the sticker thermometer as an indication of temperature belongs in the same basket as the airlock being an indicator of fermentation...

I'm not having a dig at you outbacknash, but using a decent thermometer is a pretty sound investment. Somewhere around the 20-30 bucks mark for a mid range one (suits me fine)

Haha all good Alex, I did buy one on ebay for $12 and it was faulty from the get go unfortunately so I had to resort to the shitty sticker thermometer. Serves me right for trying to save a few bucks.

What are peoples thoughts on using an ice filled esky for my second chiller- is the improvement in chilling worth forgoing the $50 I could sell it for?

Latest posts

Back