I'm Sure We Have Some Old Timers Here.....

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
When did you start brewing?

Well this young chap started in 1987. Full of beans I was, with my magic hydrometer in hand quoting SP readings to my mates (while they'd listen). Ahhhh they were the days :)

Not sure I'd call myself an old timer but I started in 1975 with a Fowlers kit with a black plastic fermenter (still got it) and some awful kits of I don't remember what plus plenty of cane sugarand made some seriously awful beer. <_<
Gave it away for a while & started again in the late 80s with Coopers kits. Made some better beer than the first effort but never really got going until I found Internet brewing sites in the late 90s.
Now into mash brewing, kegging and all the other stuff and manage to make the odd half decent brew now & again. I love this hobby/compulsion/sickness :party:

go hard. this is a great place to learn stuff about beer.

How true that is!! I never thought I'd do an all grain cause it was "too hard." After much (hours n hours - just ask me missus! LOL) research and reading on here - and patient people answering my stupid questions - I'm now onto all grain no 4.

To answer your qustion - I've been brewing since 1999. I had a 2 year break and recently got back into it again, and I've never looked back since! Its a good hobby brownie - stick with it!! :chug:

Not sure I'd call myself an old timer but I started in 1975 with a Fowlers kit with a black plastic fermenter (still got it)

Here we have a picture of Rob deciding wether to break out his Olinda hombrewing kit or watch Don's Party. :p :lol:

Warren -

harlequin.jpg

lol warren. thats fecking funny :) here is coogee pondering his next brew in 1981 at age 0. For the record, after much deliberation, this budding brewer went with an APA.
Mikal%20Baby%20Pic.jpg

Back in 1945..
I REMEMBER ..Walking into our kitchen And treading through my fathers HB ...
Open fermenter..(one of those old washtubs) He was not impressed ..he had it on the floor getting ready
to lift it to table to bottle...
38 yrs ago i brewed in new garbage tin (grains my first attempt)..open fermenter type thingy..covered,,
Was gunna throw it out...BUT ...Dad liked it so i gave it to him..
Am i an Old Timer..??????????????????????
PJ

Did my first brew in 1983. A partial Munich dunkel.

All the equipment was scavenged from commercial kitchens and second hand shops.

Made a great beer... :beerbang:

Poppa Joe take the cake so far, 1966 for me, was working in a bakery so had access to malt extract in 12 Gallon drums and compressed bakers yeast, only had to buy hops. You could buy dried hop flowers by the lb from the grocer. Used a big plastic garbage bin (new of course), lid on, no airlock. Made Avon Ale using a recipe from an English Home Brew book found in the library. Think this is a repeat of an earlier thread.

Not sure I'd call myself an old timer but I started in 1975 with a Fowlers kit with a black plastic fermenter (still got it)

Here we have a picture of Rob deciding wether to break out his Olinda hombrewing kit or watch Don's Party. :p :lol:

Warren -

I think I've still got that suit somewhere :(

You know how they say if you keep something long enough it'll come back into fashion :p

Latest posts

Back