I'm Happy! Brewing Milestone

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peas_and_corn

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I cannot mash that
Reaction score
Today I celebrate the fact that this year I have brewer more beer than I have made ever! In 2002 I made one batch that was terrible. last year I made 9, which includes 2 lagers that I left while going on holiday (and I kegged when I got home this year). After the two lagers, I have made 11 batches! yay! So I'm up to no. 21, with me really looking forward to batch no 22- my first AG! wish me luck!

Congrats P & C
Best of luck with the AG, I think you will find it is easier than it all sounds. What is it gonna be? Dont leave us in the dark about that!
All the best
Trent

Well, it'll be an easy one to get me started (plus it's one of my best recipes so far; I decided to improve on a favourite).

It's my honey beer. My old recipe was:

Morgan's wheat beer can
500g LDME
1kg Honey
Safale wheat beer yeast

It'll become

2kg Pale malt
2kg Wheat malt
1kg honey
<whatever I have left> Pride of Ringwood (60 mins)
<whatever I have left> Hallertau (haven't decided time yet)

What do you think? Small-ish grain profile, but the honey makes up a lot of fermentables. Also, what about my hop profile? Need changing, or sounds good?

i'd add another kilo of pale malt
also: try the liquid wheat yeasts in preference to the K97 <- it's not great IMO.

(and i'd drop the honey and change the POR but that's just me :ph34r: )

I would go for Perle instead of POR (hate that beer cloth smell). As it's your first I would stick with the grain bill and honey also dried yeast to keep it simple. Also keep the IBU's low for a wheatie.

Should be a great summer beer.

For a beginner, a packet of liquid yeast is as easy as a packet of dry.
Rip top off, pour/sprinkle. The liquid packet just has to swell first.
(No offense Screwtop - i'm about to try the Perle idea)

As far as a first AG, i think it's really important to learn how great an all-grain beer can taste. It's a damn site different to a can of extract. So that means for a change, not adding a syrup of any form. Or a packet of something else.
Your 1st AG should be the basics of grain, water, hops and yeast. Just to break those poor K&K brewers of their addiction to the screwtop lid and the can opener. Just to see what malted grain actually tastes like for a change.
The rest of the process is still the K&K basics of sanitation, fermentation, conditioning & carbonation.

Perle, eh? how much of that would you recommend?

I'm going to go for the liquid yeast as well, been wanting to try some for a while, so might as well go for that while I'm at it!

Tangent- that's what I've been thinking when I've thought about AG recently. At the beginning of the year the thought of going AG was a bit daunting, and I decided to just make partials with more and more grain in them- I noticed when I used less grain that the quality of the beer dropped, for example my current amber ale was made with a coopers can, and I really can taste that 'can' flavour.

P&C this is my next (still keeping it simple) aiming for 30 odd IBU and ABV 5.5

Batch Size: 23.00 L

5.00 kg Pale Malt
0.50 kg Vienna Malt
0.20 kg Wheat Malt
0.10 kg Crystal
35.00 gm Pearle 60min
25.00 gm Cascade 5min
25.00 gm Cascade (Dry Hop 5 days)
Rehydrated DCL Yeast #US-56 Dry Ale

that's a good looking recipe Screwtop
I reckon an IPA or APA is a good beer to start with because they're both incredibly drinkable even if the balance is a little off and it's not perfect yet.

Good work P & C!!

Im hanging out to try your honey brew! Both my fermentors are in use atm, so once they are done, i'll be giving it a go straight away!

Good luck for the AG!

Matt

Cheers everyone for your support, I wouldn't have believed last year that I would be AGing already, but because of everyone here giving me help and support, crazily enough I am!

If I go for the perle, how much should I add? At 60 mins?

use your software dude
perle is weird becaue it's a bit minty

Back