I'm Getting Hitched! - To Serve Homebrew At A Reception Or Not

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nothing wrong with BIAB all grain brewing which can be done on the cheap.
Likewise bucket o death HLT and 20L plastic pail mash/lauter tun 3 vessel systems can be put together for not much more than BIAB.
If you cant brew AG beer for under $500 your doing something wrong.

I think to do it super cheap like manticle takes a fair amount of dedication to the cause but he is a prime example of the fact that it can be done extremely cheap if you want/need to.

My first mash tun was (actually still is sometimes) a 20 litre bucket (about $14 from bunnings) 12mm copper tube curled up into a spiral and drilled with a heap of holes on the underside (about $20) a brass tap (about $15) so whats that $50 for my mash tun?

When I first started brewing I used to heat my sparge water in my kettle so my HLT was just a 20L bucket ($14 from bunning) and a brass tap ($15). my kettle(s) were two 20L stainless bigW pots which cost about $20 each - so for about $120 I was off and brewing!

Since then I've started pieceing together a more "traditional" type setup with stainless gear - but to be honest I havent given it a run yet as a.) im happy with the set up ive got it produces good beer and b.) I want to get it all set up before giving it its true maiden voyage

I guess what I'm saying is that you could piece together a brewing rig cheap.

I guess what I'm saying is that you could piece together a brewing rig cheap.

yep, i started with BIAB and it cost me around $100 all up. the beer i made with that was bloody good too. the only reason my beer is better with my 3 tier rig is that i have gotten better as a brewer, not due to the hardware.

the main reason i went to a 3 tier rig was to tinker around more with stuff :icon_cheers:

hi all, can a good beer still be made using kit grain and extra hops and a good yeast because I was looking at this topic myself for a bit of advise on the question that Wallace asked at the start of the topic, but allot are saying just go all grain, I know all grain is better but allot of us don't have the time to do it, I do my brewing at night when the kids are in bed and the wife isn't nagging me.

cheers

hi all, can a good beer still be made using kit grain and extra hops and a good yeast because I was looking at this topic myself for a bit of advise on the question that Wallace asked at the start of the topic, but allot are saying just go all grain, I know all grain is better but allot of us don't have the time to do it, I do my brewing at night when the kids are in bed and the wife isn't nagging me.

cheers

Damn straight you can make good beer using any method, most important thing in brewing (IMO anyway), isn't the method, it's the process. It is harder to make a great beer with kits, but it's really not that hard. Just have your process down pat (healthy yeast, fresh ingredients etc), and control over temp (which is prolly the hardest for those, like me, that have no means of contolling it other than frozen bottle of water). Adding grain to a kit really does make the world of difference, as well as hops and better yeats.

The missus and I have finally done it!! set a date for a wedding..... (about 5 years too long)

The wedding will be held in the garden of the local golf club and the reception will be held at an un-licensed venue nearby which means we (or should i say "I") supply the "after-ceremony" festivities. The father-in-law and my self are very (very, Very) keen home-brewers, and have been throwing the idea about putting home-brew on at the reception. Has this ever been done before??

This is a pretty ambitious project i know, but with 18 months and 3K or 4K under the belt to play with is this the ultimate home-brewers dream?? plus if i decide to keg, i have a heap of empty kegs to play with after the wedding.. errr... should i say after the honeymoon.

The father in law and myself are K&K'ers and thats all we're thinking of doing. While i'm going nuts on the Keyboard... does anyone know some nice recpies that will make the night a night to remember?????

Nah dont serve K& K at your reception

but if you have a freind who can brew All Grain Lagers this recipe will go down well at the reception .

here is a recipe that will go down well

Standard American Lager

Type: All Grain
Date: 30/08/2009
Batch Size: 40.00 L
Brewer: Pumpy
Boil Size: 47.96 L Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: My Equipment 40
Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: 85.00
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
5.95 kg BB Ale Malt (6.0 EBC) Grain 80.69 %
1.43 kg Rice, Flaked (2.0 EBC) Grain 19.31 %
90.00 gm Hallertauer [2.30 %] (60 min) Hops 12.8 IBU
1.00 tsp Koppafloc (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
2.12 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Primary 3.0 days) Misc
2 Pkgs Danish Lager (Wyeast Labs #2042) Yeast-Lager

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.048 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.010 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.012 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.005 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.76 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 0.65 %
Bitterness: 12.8 IBU Calories: 90 cal/l
Est Color: 7.7 EBC Color: Color

Mash Profile

Mash Name: Temperature Mash, 1 Step, Light Body Total Grain Weight: 7.38 kg
Sparge Water: 37.11 L Grain Temperature: 22.2 C
Sparge Temperature: 75.6 C TunTemperature: 22.2 C
Adjust Temp for Equipment: FALSE Mash PH: 5.4 PH

Temperature Mash, 1 Step, Light Body Step Time Name Description Step Temp
75 min Saccharification Add 19.25 L of water at 71.9 C 65.6 C
10 min Mash Out Heat to 75.6 C over 10 min 75.6 C

Mash Notes: Temperature mash for use when mashing in a brew pot over a heat source such as the stove. Use heat to maintain desired temperature during the mash.

Back