I'm An Idiot

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FazerPete

Reaction score
Did you ever have one of those moments when you feel that you must be one of the most stupid people on earth? I had one of those last night:

I've had my keg fridge for about 9 months and noticed that with the cold temps in the garage, the beer is starting to freeze in the beer line and disconnect. "Hmmm..." think I, "I must turn the fridge down a bit because I'm going to need a slurpy machine soon and not a beer tap". I then proceed to adjust the thermostat thinking that I'll get a better beer tomorrow. :D

I come back the day after and it hasn't improved at all. I can't even get a glass full out of it. I turn the thermostat adjustment right around and start to worry that my 20 year old 500 ltr Westinghouse that I got for $75 is on it's last legs or at least up for a new thermostat. :(

I go into the garage last night and check the beer and everything is frozen solid and it's only then that I realise I've been turning the bloody thing up and not down! :blink: A quick adjustment around the other way and the compressor shuts off. I check this morning and everything's defrosted.

I'm happy as larry that my fridge has still got life in it but gees I can be stupid at times! :huh:

BTW, does anyone know what happens to beer once it freezes? Do you reckon it would spoil it in any way?

The beer will be fine, but I would makes sure it is completely thawed out before drinking it, the alcohol in the beer will be concentrated and liquid in the bottom of the keg while the water component may still be in the form of ice crystals floating on top.

Cheers
Andrew

FazerPete dont worry your not the only one, i've done exactly the same thing with my old westinghouse! Lets blame it on the way the dial is made, couldn't be us..... <_<

Edit: And about the frozen beer, i did notice that i had to re-carbonate it and the beer did have a lighter body and slightly lighter in colour.

FazerPete dont worry your not the only one, i've done exactly the same thing with my old westinghouse! Lets blame it on the way the dial is made, couldn't be us..... <_<
Edit: And about the frozen beer, i did notice that i had to re-carbonate it and the beer did have a lighter body and slightly lighter in colour.
Oh good, I'm not the only one :D Yeah it must be a design flaw in the fridge, surely 2 half intelligent people couldn't get it wrong. :lol:

Thanks for the note on beer going flat. I might give them a quick force carb tonight.

FP,
What style of beer is it?

If it's not too bitter a style, I'd seriously consider drinking some before it's fully thawed, and sample it as an Eisbock.
Obviously the alcohol and bitterness will be concentrated, so don't pour a large glass and spit it out and then wonder why the remainder in the keg is so gutless.

Just a thought...

This has been a "What would the Weizguy do?" community message.

Beerz
Seth :p

You might get some chill haze aswell, but if you don't filter your beer, I wouldn't be too worried!

Did you ever have one of those moments when you feel that you must be one of the most stupid people on earth? I had one of those last night:

Nope never had one of those moments myself, you must be a idiot ;) :lol:

FP,
What style of beer is it?

If it's not too bitter a style, I'd seriously consider drinking some before it's fully thawed, and sample it as an Eisbock.
Obviously the alcohol and bitterness will be concentrated, so don't pour a large glass and spit it out and then wonder why the remainder in the keg is so gutless.

Just a thought...

This has been a "What would the Weizguy do?" community message.

Beerz
Seth :p
I've got an Irish cream ale, a blonde, an english bitter and a ginger beer in there. I've got to admit that I've got do idea what an Eisbock is, it sounds interesting so please explain.

Oh...and thanks for your confirmation of the obvious jayse! :D

Eisbock (ice bock) -- The strongest of bocks, this beer begins as a doppelbock but is partially freeze distilled to concentrate the flavour and alcohol in the beer.

I've got an Irish cream ale, a blonde, an english bitter and a ginger beer in there. I've got to admit that I've got do idea what an Eisbock is, it sounds interesting so please explain.

Oh...and thanks for your confirmation of the obvious jayse! :D
An Eisbock is a Bock or Doppelbock which is concentrated by freezing and removal of some of the water (as ice).

The flavour and alcohol components remain after the water is removed, and they are concenrated in the remaining beer.

Well worth a try, I say, even if it's only 5 ounce glass/ sample glass.

Seth

I recently had a Keg of a Forbidden Fruit clone which was already over 9% and I didn't realise my fridge had dropped to lower temps and had partly frozen my keg.... I was scratching my head at the time as to why it seems to have a bigger 'kick' than usual :blink: .

:D
Tasted fantastic too !
Cheers
Doug

Latest posts

Back