I'm a FU@3ING IDIOT!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkhlt1210

Reaction score
Sorry about the language but it's true! I had a simple brew to do and I fucked it.... Coopers pale ale can, 1kg LDME, 250g crystal 50 plus centennial, galaxy and Citra all 20g at 15mins. I steeped the crystal fine then boiled my hops and pitched my US05..... Without the goddamn malt and pale ale can!!!!! SHIT!!!! So I hurriedly got a few litres of hot water to dissolve the can and malt and sloshed it into the fermenter. I threw in kit yeast too just for extra. GODDAMN I feel stupid! I've got a BIAB schwarzbier tonight to brew up.... Second guessing myself now goddamn idiot

You have as long way to go until you have a proper brew day ****-up

You will know that day when it comes

Ducatiboy stu said:
You have as long way to go until you have a proper brew day ****-up

You will know that day when it comes
You're too kind!! Do I go ahead with my BIAB tonight?? I don't want to screw up my third BIAB all grain brew!! I feel ridiculously stupid

manticle said:
Adding fermentables later is fine. Chill.
Seriously?? I hope it turns out. I only filled to 22 litres it will be about 25 or 26 now.

Don't feel stupid. It's a simple thing, easily fixed
Take a breath, have a beer, get everything ready and organised for the biab and either start tomorrow in a better frame of mind or tonight when you realise how small a stuff up it really was. Brewing is meant to be fun and just about any problem can be solved by staying calm and thinking. It's beer mate.

Those "doh" moments.

"Oh, you're an Aquarius too, that's great, Aquarians are natural sharers and we can have sex without having to have a deep and meaningful relationship"

Sorry, missed that, hey got to get into Bunnings for a 3 piece ball valve. Thanks for the lift home, see you at the Easter club convention. Cheers...

What was that she said? Can't remember.

Wait till you have spent 5 hours brewing and then realise you have also added 1L of (PinkStainRemover) Phosphoric cleaner to your fermenter.

manticle said:
Don't feel stupid. It's a simple thing, easily fixed
Take a breath, have a beer, get everything ready and organised for the biab and either start tomorrow in a better frame of mind or tonight when you realise how small a stuff up it really was. Brewing is meant to be fun and just about any problem can be solved by staying calm and thinking. It's beer mate.
Cheers manticle I guess you're right. Hey at least I have 4 extra litres of beer!!!!! I will get my shit together tonight and set up for my BIAB! I'll crack open a little creatures bright ale and ponder my next move! Cheers everyone!

HardEight said:
Wait till you have spent 5 hours brewing and then realise you have also added 1L of (PinkStainRemover) Phosphoric cleaner to your fermenter.
Jesus! What happened there?

jkhlt1210 said:
You're too kind!! Do I go ahead with my BIAB tonight?? I don't want to screw up my third BIAB all grain brew!! I feel ridiculously stupid
I fucked up way more than three...

Dont let it worry you.

Beer is rather forgiving....just means it might be a little bit different...

Some off my best beers where from ****-ups

Its not a **** up until the beer has been fermented, bottled/kegged, matured then tasted. Un

Only at this point if you have to ditch the beer(highly unlikely) its a **** up.

Today's AG **** up - my mill broke. I've literally had it a week and a half, I bought it off a fellow brewer here and had set the grind finer for re-milling some stuff I got at the local shop to a slightly finer grind for my BIAB system. Forgetting this, I started trying to run through a whole batch of uncracked grain. Mine is a corona style rigged for a drill/rattle gun. Lo and behold, rattle gun broke the screw which connects to the auger which means I need a new mill in the mean time until I can find a replacement auger bit! YAY.

jkhlt1210 said:
Sorry about the language but it's true! I had a simple brew to do and I fucked it.... Coopers pale ale can, 1kg LDME, 250g crystal 50 plus centennial, galaxy and Citra all 20g at 15mins. I steeped the crystal fine then boiled my hops and pitched my US05..... Without the goddamn malt and pale ale can!!!!! SHIT!!!! So I hurriedly got a few litres of hot water to dissolve the can and malt and sloshed it into the fermenter. I threw in kit yeast too just for extra. GODDAMN I feel stupid! I've got a BIAB schwarzbier tonight to brew up.... Second guessing myself now goddamn idiot
A screw up would be not realising you forgot it until 2 weeks later. That to me sounds like some of the typical ebs and flows of brew day :) I will be the first to admit forgetting stuff...or adding too much.

2 weeks ago, I accidentally added an additional 20kg of Pale Malt...

jkhlt1210 said:
Jesus! What happened there?
I didn't realise it until after 2 weeks in the bottle... then on investigation found it was my first attempt at a double brew day on my new AG rig..
I started circulating cleaning solution through... then transferred the wort from the kettle to the fermenter... then resumed cleaning...
Not thinking about the L or so of cleaner in the lines... Too many beers... not enough experience...

Everyone makes mistakes... Just have a laugh and learn from them... ;)

I forgot to add hops to the boil 1 day, for about 30mins. All of a sudden a 60min boil turned into a 90 haha

Thanks everyone! Nice to know I'm not alone!!! Just started the mash for my schwarzbier so hopefully I pick my game up. Definitely don't want to screw this up!!

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1406365339.560041.jpg

There it is fingers crossed all goes smoothly!

idzy said:
So I am not the only one to make that mistake.... :ph34r:

idzy said:
A screw up would be not realising you forgot it until 2 weeks later. That to me sounds like some of the typical ebs and flows of brew day :) I will be the first to admit forgetting stuff...or adding too much.

20kg???!!! Bloody hell!

Back