I'm A Batch Sparge Deserter...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thirsty Boy

ICB - tight shorts and poor attitude. **** yeah!
Reaction score
I finally (bloody finally! :rolleyes: ) got around to brewing my first batch in the bling heavy custom Mash tun I got from Beer Belly. A fabulous bit of kit that seems to do extremely well everything I wanted it too. Thanks Wayne. Great flow rates through my RIMS and I think the insulation really helped with ramp rates, keeping the temps steady and homogeneous throughout the tun.

This the first time I have continuous sparged in a vessel that was in any way properly suited for the task and I quite liked the process. I flood sparged with acidified the sparge water and went till I had my pre-boil volume. 35-40min to get 30L in the kettle, last runnings at 5-5.5 brix and my measured pre-boil efficiency was a pretty respectable 88%

I need to do a few more brews to dial stuff in - and this was a brew with different malts than I would normally use - but if I can push that 88% up to 90% with a bit of practice and tweaking, I'll be happy that I am doing it "right"

So goodbye Batch and No sparge brewing ... you have served my wonderfully well, but I am a dirty fly sparger now and it feels good

TB

How big is the mash tun?
I am really happy for you.
I tend to fly sparge when I do 25 L batches in by 36L Circular esky with false bottom.
Once I managed a 30 L batch but the fly sparging took for ever as the dilution rate was a little low.
Good efficiencies though.

PICs please.
Matti

A busy year with littel e time for brews but out of memory bank.

2 lagers
APA
IPA
English bitter and a couple of partial adhoc brews.

Comon Matti your wasting too much time on the forum and not brewing enough to be a resident expert ;)

You will be back. Fly sparging is for those with too much time.

cheers

darren

I do recall seeing a pic of the new custom kettle with add ons a while back... cant locate it to post linky though! Tb will know where it is!

From memory it was an awesome piece of kit.

You will be back. Fly sparging is for those with too much time.

cheers

darren

+1...

but the only time I'll agree with Darren :ph34r: - With one caveat: For those with too much time, or a LOT of money invested in the commercial production of beer........ (ie: efficiency is money)

Hope your enjoying that extra 45mins - 1 hour you have just thrown onto your brew day thristy ;)

hmmm - maybe. Only took me about 1 hr 20 mins of extra time and that was with a lot of "first time on this gear" testing faffing about and stuffing up. I suspect I will be back down to about 5 hours walk-in walk-out time.

If I was running a stock single infusion mash... yeah I agree that continuous sparging would add some extra time - but I'm not. I'm running a recirculating system and had extra time "built in" to my process anyway because of that andthe limitations of my gear. Going continuous sparge removes teh need for some of those processes and so altogether will probably cost me less than 10mins extra time.

plus its new and interesting ... I shall bask in the glow for a while and then make a rational decision later

TB

So goodbye Batch and No sparge brewing ... you have served my wonderfully well, but I am a dirty fly sparger now and it feels good

TB

You'll be back!!!!

to batch sparging !!!!

you may love mashing Thirsty,

But not enough to stuff around fly sparging for an hour or so on your brew day ,

with no extra flavour at the end of the day in the resultant beer ,

only the cudos that you are a fly sparger

Pumpy ;)

I have, over more than a decade, tried all sorts of sparging (including if no sparge can be counted as a method no sparge!).
iI have also tried all sorts of , lets just say manifolds, easy-mashers, curved plastic false bottoms, copper pipe pretzels with multiple slashes, hand formed metal fly screen mesh, flat fitted stainless falsies and even an aluminium beer can with a shot load of holes drilled in it.
There has been a constant (excluding no sparge which by definition) and that is time, oh and fluid dynamics..
Sparging must not be rushed, of course it can be and the results should be a lesson.
Whether fly or batch or dump or (as I do now) tangentially sparged, the sparge is (or should if done properly) take about the same amount of time (given the same mash).
I am somewhat perplexed with some of the comments taht "fly sparging" should add an hour or more to the brewday, so I have to ask "why?"
Were they simple "in-jokes" or is there some secret knowledge out there (despite the internet) still????
I await in trembleing anticipation.
[ oh..I no longer batch sparge either, sorry]

K

tangentially sparged

Can someone provide a link on this one? First I've heard of it and am looking for the sparge method that is right for me since I'm not really set up for any particular method right now.

Can someone provide a link on this one? First I've heard of it and am looking for the sparge method that is right for me since I'm not really set up for any particular method right now.

It's where you get tangent to sparge for you. Much easier than any of the other methods.

Quite the time-saver too, I'd imagine.

I have, over more than a decade, tried all sorts of sparging (including if no sparge can be counted as a method no sparge!).
iI have also tried all sorts of , lets just say manifolds, easy-mashers, curved plastic false bottoms, copper pipe pretzels with multiple slashes, hand formed metal fly screen mesh, flat fitted stainless falsies and even an aluminium beer can with a shot load of holes drilled in it.
There has been a constant (excluding no sparge which by definition) and that is time, oh and fluid dynamics..
Sparging must not be rushed, of course it can be and the results should be a lesson
Whether fly or batch or dump or (as I do now) tangentially sparged, the sparge is (or should if done properly) take about the same amount of time (given the same mash)
I am somewhat perplexed with some of the comments taht "fly sparging" should add an hour or more to the brewday, so I have to ask "why?"
Were they simple "in-jokes" or is there some secret knowledge out there (despite the internet) still????
I await in trembleing anticipation.
[ oh..I no longer batch sparge either, sorry]

K

Could you please explain why?

I mash for 90 mins, from the moment I start to sparge till the moment the kettle starts to boil is 30 mins, please tell me what is wrong with my beer.

cheers

Browndog

edit:spellin

I was going to post similar to ulysees but didn't because didn't want to get into a debate with the please explain further but I do agree fly sparging should not and does not add more time to your brewday. If it does maybe you should leave out one of the steps like the part where you bless the liquor first, not needed.

Latest posts

Back