If you want something done...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

siege

Reaction score
So I am at uni interstate but all my brewing stuff is in my old man's garage. I come back every few weeks but this time asked him to dry Hop 2 batches for me 5 days before I got back.

Get back and open the fermentation fridge to find airlocks removed and gross bubbly pellicles on my IPA and porter. Great.

Guess you can't make someone fully appreciate the need for sanitary handling over the phone.

When has asking for help backfired on your guys brews?

A few years ago I broke a bone in my hand & had a 60L plastic fermenter full of Belgian Blonde that needed kegging, so I asked a mate for a hand.

We dragged the fermenter into the kitchen & rather than lift it onto the bench together, he went for it himself & tried to "swing" it onto the bench. The fermenter was obviously brittle, as it just split down the middle. A 50L tsunami of 8%+ Blonde went everywhere (including all over my mate!) & we spent the next few hours on hands & knees cleaning everything (& me with only one hand available).

He's still a good mate......

siege said:
So I am at uni interstate but all my brewing stuff is in my old man's garage. I come back every few weeks but this time asked him to dry Hop 2 batches for me 5 days before I got back.

Get back and open the fermentation fridge to find airlocks removed and gross bubbly pellicles on my IPA and porter. Great.

Guess you can't make someone fully appreciate the need for sanitary handling over the phone.

When has asking for help backfired on your guys brews?
Sort of a little off topic but it’s very unlikely that your father caused any infections by leaving the air locks off for five days if fermentation had finished. That shouldn’t cause any problem especially if he had replaced the lids and they were left undisturbed in a fermentation fridge.

Did you ask him if it was like that when he opened the fermenter? It’s far more likely that they were infected before he touched them.

S.E said:
Did you ask him if it was like that when he opened the fermenter?
Haha apparently taps came off, beer went everywhere and lids went on the ground sunny side down.

Back