Ideas Please

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bruce86

Reaction score
Hi im a newbie litterly just started my first brew today (the one in the starter kit) but im wanting to really get a Leffe Brun style one going and was wondering the best way to go about it. Do i find a kit one or do u guys have other ideas? cheers. :D

Have not tried this so I cant say how good it is and I must say it is quite different to any extract/grain recipes I have seen, but might be worth a try.

Muntons Continental Lager
1.5kg Pale Liquid Malt
500g Liquid Glucose
25g Saaz Hop Pellets
250g Chocolate Grain (cracked), in a grain bag.
Safale Yeast...I would replace with a good belgian yeast...wyeast or white labs or dry, whatever you can get.
Heat 2 litres of water up to 65 degrees, add the grain and steep for 20 minutes. Remove grain bag and bring to the boil, add the malt and glucose and stir till dissolved. Add hops, simmer for 1 minute then strain into fermenter with can of lager. Top up to 21 litres, add yeast and brew in the normal way.
* From the recipe pages of Daves Home Brew, a man I believe brews a good drop, so you might be ok.

if your happy to go extract/partial enter 'leffe brun clone' in a google search, a couple of recipes there to try.

Have not tried this so I cant say how good it is and I must say it is quite different to any extract/grain recipes I have seen, but might be worth a try.

1.5kg Pale Liquid Malt
500g Liquid Glucose
25g Saaz Hop Pellets
Safale Yeast
Heat 2 litres of water up to 65 degrees, add the grain and steep for 20 minutes. Remove grain bag and bring to the boil, add the malt and glucose and stir till dissolved. Add hops, simmer for 1 minute then strain into fermenter with can of lager. Top up to 21 litres, add yeast and brew in the normal way.
* From the recipe pages of Daves Home Brew, a man I believe brews a good drop, so you might be ok.

Awsome mate cheers!

Ideally the best way to get a leffe bruin clone is to research All Grain.

*dons flamesuit*

The Brew in a Bag method is an inexpensive and easy method to make beer, so long as you're willing to do a little initial research.

Cheers,

Chris

you could do Dr smurto's golden ale
KIT VERSION
1 can Thomas Coopers Sparkling Ale
1 can Coopers Wheat Malt
250g Caramalt (or other light crystal)
15g Amarillo @ 15, 5 and dry hop.
Yeast - US05

Method
□Steep the crystal malt in 1 litre of 65-70 degree water for up to one hour.
□Strain this through a colander and add another litre of 65-70 degree water, stir and then strain immediately.
□Add the 2 litres of liquor from the steeped grain to an additional 6 litres of boiling water in a pot.
□Add the can of wheat malt and bring to the boil.
□Add 15g of Amarillo hops and boil for 10 mins. Add another 15g of Amarillo and boil for a further 5 mins.
□Remove from the heat and let it cool.
□Strain into the fermenter and dissolve the Sparkling Ale tin.
□Fill to 20 litres and sprinkle on the yeast.
□Dry hop an additional 15g of Amarillo hops on day 7.

Ideally the best way to get a leffe bruin clone is to research All Grain.

*dons flamesuit*

The Brew in a Bag method is an inexpensive and easy method to make beer, so long as you're willing to do a little initial research.

Cheers,

Chris

Thanks Chris. As i said above im a big newbie lol can u recommend best sites etc to find good research etc. Im still working this site out too so if there is great stuff on here where do i find it. :(

Hey guys thanks for your help another question tho. im assuming the type of water you use for your fermenter can have an impact on your final beer quality. Does that sound about right. If i use rain water/spring water will that taste better than a brew in tap water. or does our scale of brewing not make too big of a difference?

I'd get 2 cans of a low-bitterness darker kit (any one) and a kg of Dextrose and throw it in a fermenter top up to 25L with cold water and add:

Wyeast 1214

Thanks Chris. As i said above im a big newbie lol can u recommend best sites etc to find good research etc. Im still working this site out too so if there is great stuff on here where do i find it. :(

G'day Bruce,

This site has everything. Search for "Move To All Grain For Thirty Bucks" and "20l Stovetop All Grain Aussie Lager‎" - better to do a google search, the search on AHB is rubbish, and just get all the results from this site.

It really takes the stigma and hokey-pokey out of All Grain. There is always an assumption that AG is hard, requires excessive amounts of knowledge to start doing or you need to do some kit time (purgatory) to get there.

If this resource had been around 13 years ago, when I started brewing, I'd not have spent 11 years doing kits and extract beer.

There are a number of brewers that pretty well went straight to all grain from the 2nd brew (because everyone does a kit beer, then finds AHB), and realised "it isn't that hard".

I'm the type of person that can read something, see pictures, but only when doing it, does it all *click* into place.

This site is a fantastic resource, full of friendly people, very helpful people, and of course the occasional troll. Ignore the experts at your peril, the trolls at will and your brewing will improve exponentially.

Goomba

1.5kg Pale Liquid Malt
500g Liquid Glucose
25g Saaz Hop Pellets
Safale Yeast...I would replace with a good belgian yeast...wyeast or white labs or dry, whatever you can get.

Ok so i have decided to give this one a burl. I ordered a good belguim yeast. only 1 question. is that 500ml liquid glucose all the sugar i need or should i be adding more when i ferment?

Ok so i have decided to give this one a burl. I ordered a good belguim yeast. only 1 question. is that 500ml liquid glucose all the sugar i need or should i be adding more when i ferment?

The glucose and sugars from the liquid malt and chocolate grain should be enough mate. Just prime your bottles normally after fermentation.

I reckon you're short by about 600g of fermentables to hit an OG close to Leffe Brune.
Have a look on google for "Leffe Brune extract recipe". I was looking at one with 9lb of liquid malts and another lb of assorted grains for steeping. That's 10lb or 4.5kg. Your recipe has only 3.9kg including the choc grain.
You could add 600g of amber candi sugar during the ferment I suppose. That might get you some of the complexities of a Belgian.

Latest posts

Back