Ideal yeast temperatures - what's the go?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

s_t_r_o_b_e

Reaction score
Hey team,

I'm very new to brewing. Watched/helped a friend with 3-4 brews and have now done 2 brews myself and I'm wanting to learn more and more.

I've tried searching (AHB and Google) but I can't find exactly what I'm after...

With yeast, the packet indicates the ideal temperature range. For example, the one I've been using says that it's good from 12 degrees to 25 degrees, but ideal is 15-22. The question I have is - is there a difference between keeping the temp at 16ish degrees rather than 21ish? Is the yeast going to be good no matter what as long as it's in ideal range, or does the actual temp make a difference?

Yeah, there is a really big difference.

Each yeast is different and some are more consistent over a larger temperature range.

As a general rule, the higher the temperature the more esters (fruity flavours) are produced and higher alcohol's begin to also be produced.

Yep, that would be US-05

I think most people would recommend keeping that yeast to 17-18C. Once you start to go over 20C you will start to get some ester flavours.

It's been at about 18-20 the whole time, not higher.

Currently have a batch sitting at 16 - too low?

As a general rule most yeast prefer to be at the lower end of their range.
Does depend what you want though, for safety somewhere in the midlle want do ya no harm.
Lager 10c, Ale 18c.

16c will be fine it will just take a little longer to finish but will give a 'cleaner' flavour then going higher.

yum beer said:
Does depend what you want though, for safety somewhere in the midlle want do ya no harm.
Lager 10c, Ale 18c.
Except for a lot of Belgian and French yeasties.

Style of beer, what you want from the yeast and temp are 3 big factors.

I use 1272 or Bry-97 for my ales at 18. But have run them at 20 and even 24. At 24 you get a lot of fruity esters.
Lagers at 10, temps go up and down for diaceytl rest.
Saisons I run at 32
Steam beers (lager yeast but ale temps) at 18.
Faux lagers I use kolsch 2565 at 15. But if I want a fruity kolsch I run it at 20.

Google, Fermentis.com they have lots of good info on temps,if I was a little more of a geek I would have shown the link but my mother told me their would be days like this.

yum beer said:
We prefer them to be at a certain temp for what it does for the flavour profile.
I would say they prefer to be at a higher temp (25°c) as this is what you'd use when growing a starter.

Thanks for all the info guys. Will check out the Fermentis website and do some more reading.

Slightly off topic - I have a fermenter from Keg King that came with a temperature sticker thing. It's not all that clear what temperature it's at. As in, the colours aren't vibrant enough. Is there a better solution for measuring temperature (until I get my fermentation fridge set up)?

mje1980 said:
Except for a lot of Belgian and French yeasties.
Hence why I said most.

anthonyUK said:
We prefer them to be at a certain temp for what it does for the flavour profile.
I would say they prefer to be at a higher temp (25°c) as this is what you'd use when growing a starter.
No. I make a starter at the same temp I will be fermenting at, why 'grow' a batch of flavours you don't want before even starting.

Given the OP's provided info I thought it best to give him something to run with for now while he learns more as he goes, I assumed he wasn't making a belgian with his US-05 and wasn't up to making starters just yet.

And nor should he be with dry yeast. Worth pointing out because so many seem confused.

As for starter temps, depends on whether you pitch an active starter or not. If you decant the starter beer then it doesn't matter a stuff unless you push the temps way too hard.

No one said anything about needing to grow a starter except that the recommended practise is to do so at a higher temp as it increases cell count without affecting the fermenting properties e.g. Yeast book (Zhainasheff/White).

Sorry, it was overly pedantic flagging up 'What yeast prefer' against what 'we prefer from yeast'.

s_t_r_o_b_e said:
Thanks for all the info guys. Will check out the Fermentis website and do some more reading.

Slightly off topic - I have a fermenter from Keg King that came with a temperature sticker thing. It's not all that clear what temperature it's at. As in, the colours aren't vibrant enough. Is there a better solution for measuring temperature (until I get my fermentation fridge set up)?
Assuming you are using an stc1000 with your brew fridge. Use that as your thermometer. But don't be opening and closing to keep dipping it in. I would suggest tapping it to the side of the fermenter and insulating it from the ambient temp with some foam..

Hi there s_t_r_o_b_e.

At the risk of copping shit, what I did when I first got temp control was to brew back-to-back identical ales (pale styles with low hopping) and brew one at 18 and one at 22. I couldn't taste any bloody difference at all. Maybe just my palette, but food for thought. Brew to your own tastes mate, that's the beauty of it.

Let the poo-throwing commence.

That's good to know Phillo. I'm not going to be too hard on myself 2 brews in anyway.

I generally set the STC-1000 at 18C +/- 0.5C for US-05, or pretty much any ale yeast actually. Once fermentation is done, raise to 20C for a couple of days then cc for a couple more. This is of course assuming you have a brew fridge...

Latest posts

Back