Ideal yeast temperatures - what's the go?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My preferred temp for US05 is 16-17 degrees as it ends up clean and neutral for the beers I prefer to do with it. Only downside is that it takes forever to drop and in the bottle (something I hadn't had to consider for a long time) it does stir up a little more than other varieties.

I'm currently doing a Saison at 22 degrees - which can range from 21-32 off memory.

Any change in temp will alter the end product. Just remember yeast turns malty sugar water into beer. It is the most important of the process.

I'm new to brewing too and into my 2nd brew... I'm currently brewing a coopers Mexican cerveza kit using Salfager s23. Recommended temp is 12 - 18 degrees, however, I have it between 19-20 degrees ATM and she is fermenting away. Each to their own I suppose in regards to taste

juliand1985 said:
I'm new to brewing too and into my 2nd brew... I'm currently brewing a coopers Mexican cerveza kit using Salfager s23. Recommended temp is 12 - 18 degrees, however, I have it between 19-20 degrees ATM and she is fermenting away. Each to their own I suppose in regards to taste
A lager yeast will ferment away at those temps just fine, but the results won't be ideal as lager yeasts are better suited to lower temps. If you don't have temp control you'd be best to use an ale yeast as you will find the results will be better.

JD.

Nah, mate. Each to their own. Some people like nail polish remover, you know?!

I'm lamenting the quick coming of summer here in se qld as I already can taste the difference between a brew fermented at 16-18 degrees above my ass piss at 20-22. Don't know the science, buy that few degrees is massive. It's no wonder to me now why fellow brewers have temp.controlled fermentation going on, the trouble makes a difference.

Just about time..to switch to saisons, unless I can give a fridge free way to fermen low. Wet towel, ice and fan just don't cut it, but it might be my only option. Big problem for me.

Any suggestions for cheap temp control?

And op, I only brew ales, cant do lagers.without.refrigeration. be warned. As others have said. Yeast is vital, **** up yeast, **** up all the other work you've done with malt and hops, and yeast.are temperature sensitive

Latest posts

Back