Ice Block Chilling

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moetman

Reaction score
was just wondering if people have ever chilled their wort with a bag of ice - sraight in after the boil - (treated of course)
You would have to adjust amount of water beforehand to take into account the ice addition, but you would achieve a rapid cooling I would think.
Has anyone tried it? Can you get the wort cool enough to pitch?

Sorry if this topic has already been brought up

Regards

Used to do this with my extracts and partials. Freeze my own water, not the bought party ice. The other thing I did was to chill 10 litres of water.

Gavo.

would the less water you have in the boil be a problem? I don't suppose it matters

The less water you have in your boil, increases your boil gravity. This can affect your hop utilization, therefore you may need to adjust your recipe to account for this.

:icon_cheers: SJ

My last AG was an Old Ale Kentish Brownish sort of brew. I brewed it way over gravity (about 1050) cubed it for about 6 hours just to lose the initial heat and that evening ran it onto a bag of ice in the fermenter and pitched the starter that had been going since the previous evening. It was rocking and rolling by the next morning. Best takeoff I've ever had with an AG nochill, grain to krausen in less than 24 hours.

I live a couple of blocks from the Bribie Pub Liquorland barn and get their pure drinking quality ice.

RE hop utilization. If you spend thirty bucks on the latest edition of Brew your own British Real Ale there's a comprehensive Hop Utilisation vs Original Gravity table on page 23.

This book is my new Koran. -_-

Back