Ibu Calculations For Partial Boil

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hefty

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm struggling to get any good hits with the search function.

If I'm not doing a full boil, how do I calculate what the IBUs for the full volume of wort once diluted after the boil?

I'm doing a red ale next and I'm planning to do a small boil with enough of the fermentables to match the full volume OG and then add the rest after my hops additions.

Should I calculate on the small boil volume and utilisation (This I know how to do) and then use another equation to calculate how much less it would be in the full volume? If so, what is the second equation?
I know there was a similar topic raised in a thread about hopped extract tins semi-recently but I can't find it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Jono.

So you know the IBUs of your finished, small boil?

IBU is just a measure of concentration, so if you are diluting with pure water you just divide by dilution ratio.

i.e. Assume your boil is 5L (finished) and has an IBU of 120. If you dilute it to final volume of 20L you will have:

120 IBU * (5L/20L) = 30IBU.

That's it! Cheers Adam.
I knew it was something fairly straight forward, just couldn't remember exactly what!

Jono.

So if the boil gravity is different to the final gravity but you still enter the final volume, will the utilisation number for the boil gravity still give the correct IBU for the final volume?

Man, that sentence just looks confusing!

Jono.

Also, I've found Palmer's utilisation table from How to Brew
http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter5-5.html
and this one from Absolute Homebrew
http://www.absolutehomebrew.com.au/?page_id=28

I've been using the equation from Absolute Homebrew because it's metric but Palmer's table seems to be a lot more detailed. Will these utilisation rates transfer into the metric formula or is there something in the process of calculating the numbers in the table that uses imperial measures?
The two tables give me two figures that are about 10 IBU apart and I can't figure out if it's just because there's more detail in the Palmer table or if metric/imperial measures effect the two different tables.

Jono.

Yes. If using a bog standard standalone calculator (like the one on glen tinseths homepage), and not a recipe program.

A recipe program, like beersmith, brewsta, and (likely, but I dont use it so I'm not sure) promash get the gravities, both OG in the fermenter, and the boil gravities from the recipe, and as such assume that all fermentables are being added to the boil. Which is perfect if this is what you are actually doing.
n

Beersmith has an option for each ingredient to add at the end of boil. That's what I do for all my extract and sugar (if using). It also has an option of adding things, like extract, late in the boil, but I don't use that. I use the "end of boil" option to manipulate my pre-boil gravity, which it adjusts as you move things to the end of boil.

So with beersmith you enter a boil volume and a batch size and it will get the IBUs right for the boil size diluted to the batch size. Which is kind of clever now I think about it.

Latest posts

Back