I wonder who?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You guys are so negative. Dwelling on the past and all. It's like ancient history. Can't you just live and let live?

A couple of posts on Facebook today...if anyone is interested.

This has been a very interesting thread. Both Core Brewing Concepts and at least one employee are forum members, I'm surprised they haven't commented here. Or maybe I'm not, they can't moderate responses.
I would like to consider myself strong in my own field of work but one thing I take my hat off to is people who own and/or run their own businesses. Some are dodgy about it but for the successful businesses, more often than not it's dedication to their field, time invested, and downright hard work that makes them good people to deal with. Many of the forums sponsors I've dealt with are a shining example of that.
For some, the realities of running a business are just too hard and whether they realise it or not, they're not made for it. I'll put myself in that category and continue working 'for the man'. With risk comes reward, and for that I'll also never own a yacht. For some reason though there are those who think they're made for it and aren't, and can't swallow their pride. They tend to leave damage and unhappy people in their wake, then think the fault isn't theirs and move on to try to better themselves by making the same mistakes all over again with a different customer base. Seems to me that's what going on here and it's a shame not only for those who have lost money in the past, but those who will lose it in the future.
If however it does all turn around and all debts are paid off I'll take it all back. I think it's a safe bet I won't be though.

He really does believe he has done no wrong, Micah Dylan Rees, (his parents must have had a thing about Bob) if any of those who are owed money would like to fork out $40 or there abouts they can get the run down on him and his business in California.
Valley Electric, 33 Highland Drive, Napa, California, will not help you get your money back but if he has done this thing before you will know he is not as innocent as he makes out.
If it was me who had lost money with him I would be hounding him into bankruptcy no matter how much it was he owed me.
Getting back to the Dylan middle name-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4d8o8vNTNao

wide eyed and legless said:
Maybe the house with the garage he was working from is solely in his wifes name.
The house he was working from originally in Lyndhurst was a rental. He moved to Langwarrin last year I think to another rental property. So he's also broken the lease on that and left an owner without his rental returns. Not to mention the rent he hasn't paid on his factory in Dandenong.
Some people just have no business acumen what so ever and he is one of them. Just had no idea what so ever about how to run a business. So many times he wouldn't invoice me and I had to remind him to send me an invoice via pay pal so I could pay it. So I can only imagine I wasn't the only one. There were numerous Saturday's I would call him to see if the shop was open and he was at a play centre with his kids or out shopping with the wife, saying that it's not worth opening on Saturdays. What did he expect? People got sick of driving all the way there to find he was closed so didn't bother going anymore.
Or he would Close early to go get the kids from school etc. trying to run a business and baby sit his kids whilst his wife worked a full time job. It was never going to work.

He should have stuck with selling grains and hops via his website and his garage. I remember when he first told me he was setting up a shop, the first thing I said was are you going to make enough money to cover rent etc?
Obviously not.

some people really shouldn't try to start businesses. I think Matt did a good job of that interview.

We were handling doing that one at a time, no problem. But when it started becoming three at a time, then it started to become a problem,” he said.
“When a business grows too big, too quick, it doesn’t have the manpower to support the demand, and everything then just begins to snowball… That’s a large part of what happened to us.”

So my experience with Micah goes back a long way....
He was a Westgate member when he first came to Melbourne...for one meeting...right up until he sent Wort Hogs a filthy email telling them they didn't know what good beer was , because "his IPA was the best IPA he'd ever made and their judges at Pale Ale mania were shit" We asked him to apologise...he wouldn't...he was asked to leave Westgate...
12 month later , he set up core and emailed me apologizing for his behavior , saying he'd grown up...

3 years ago , I scored the first conical he bought into Australia...After a few uses , the silicon seal stretched. At ANHC three , he was there and despite his irritating nature , I approached him , seeking a replacement , for which I was happy to pay...
7 months...seven long months of hell , emails , phone calls , one abusive phone call where he went off tap , then apologized profusely saying he'd had a bad week and that he was looking for a fight with someone , and I happened to be it...I eventually got a seal...
it was the wrong size....ha ha ha ...he then supplied the right one , free of charge...bless him...
I've never mentioned any of this on here...i've warned people to stay away , but in all honesty , the guy needs help. He is quite clearly unwell.
And as for his utter wank about being in over his head with his business, his wife has a business degree from monsh uni...

His morals are lower than whale shit.
I bet the money went on living , rent , food , petrol , supplies for the shop...anything but actually supplying pilot systems

TheWiggman said:
Just heard the interview, the choice and language showed a lot of avoidance and no apparent remorse.
Considered being a professional advisor ferg?
Bloody hell....
Did I write that ? lol
I didn't expect him to steal others money...because that's what he has done....
I thought that he would just owe the banks ....and loose his business...

What a slimy piece of shit... just listened to the podcast and the level of naivety is absolutely astounding... Never liked the guy the few times I met him personally and find it hard to swallow the "hardships" he is experiencing currently... Reap what you sow mofo!!!

From the podcast it is patently obvious the guy has absolutely no idea of the costs involved in running a business. I run a small business and the first 5 minutes of listening to him was all that was needed.

pat_00 said:
You guys are so negative. Dwelling on the past and all. It's like ancient history. Can't you just live and let live?
A bit rich after people have lost thousands and thousands of dollars.

Lucky he meant it as a sarcastic joke then. I think most/all here are in the same book and very close to the same page

Very sorry to hear about this whole story and those that have been affected. I have to say that I've been buying my ingredients from CBC for at least a couple of years, initially directly from his house, and later from his Dandenong factory. Personally, I had always been happy with the service and prices I have received. It seems I was lucky. Although perhaps disorganised, he never struck me as particularly dishonest.
I have to say though - CBC was a up-and-comer in the industry, that was pretty clear. They had *very* good prices - near $10 vials of yeast were unheard of as far as I know a couple of years ago. This was certainly one of the main reasons I started purchasing product from him.
Obviously things have gone badly, people have lost money, etc. Most likely they were also trying to get the best deal they could find... at the end of the day there is a business risk associated with most business transactions, and the risk is higher when you have low price product from new businesses.

I'm not particularly trying to defend CBC - I think the best outcome here is that the general community becomes more aware that these kind of things can happen, and possibly increased communication between those in the business/hobby is a good way of reducing risk.

Latest posts

Back