I Think I Went Crazy On The Kettle

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i know with my pick up i just cut it off straight .. it works out that its 5litres and that works out well with 10kg double batch trub/hops
Sometimes its just easier not worrying about putting bends in the pickup tube

Tom

140!! :super:

How do plan on boiling that be'arch?
you havent seen my home made burner have ya? :p

if you skip to about 4:30 you'll see the flame... with a 50ltr pot i was getting 8Kw into the water this pot i expect to get about 9Kw (larger area)

Last edited by a moderator:
i know with my pick up i just cut it off straight .. it works out that its 5litres and that works out well with 10kg double batch trub/hops
Sometimes its just easier not worrying about putting bends in the pickup tube

Tom

The purpose of whirlpooling is to form a central cone of trub (hop and protien/break material) on the bottom of the kettle. A big/large diameter kettle allows for a good clear area around the trub which settles in the centre, this is why convention has been to have a bend in the pickup tube. Having a short pickup tube with a bend picking up from the base near the wall of the vessel allows room for creating a whirlpool by stirring with a paddle and for picking up clear wort outside of the central cone of trub produced by whirlpooling.

While this may be the convention, there are as many variations as there are brewers. All the variants work providing varying degrees of kettle efficiency. So long as the brewer is happy with the resulting beer, it works !

Screwy

if you skip to about 4:30 you'll see the flame... with a 50ltr pot i was getting 8Kw into the water this pot i expect to get about 9Kw (larger area)

OMFG!! :eek:

Good work!

Heh.

I can only fit a small child into mine. 80L from allquip.
i think you need to upgrade if your going to cook kids on a regular basis.. unless you can get em younger than that you may have boil over problems :p

I love children, just couldn't eat a whole one.

tdh

You might want to consider building a 50mm wide jacket around the kettle to capture the heat as it emerges from under the kettle.
You then would also need a vent on the top of the jacket to have a draught.

tdh

fark me......

+1 on the FarkMe

That is one serious mother of a burner. I reckon it would melt my pot :eek: :blink:

love the burner.

I have a rambo cause i dont want the noise of a high pressure burner..... same it needs a vacuum motor..... bloody noisy!

I like to listen to music while i brew but mate......... i take my hat off to your enginuity!

Tops stuff!

cheers

the vac motor will be replaced with a barrel fan i think.. i have tried a heat shield around a keg and it was way to close lol and wouldn't last long (got to glowing) but i also noticed that it tend to caramelize alot at the top of the boil so not sure if its such a good idea. i will have a fire brick refractory underneath i found that works a lot better than a heat shield and it keeps the heat at the bottom and also helps burn the gas cleaner

What's a fire brick refractory?

tdh

the vac motor will be replaced with a barrel fan i think.. i have tried a heat shield around a keg and it was way to close lol and wouldn't last long (got to glowing) but i also noticed that it tend to caramelize alot at the top of the boil so not sure if its such a good idea. i will have a fire brick refractory underneath i found that works a lot better than a heat shield and it keeps the heat at the bottom and also helps burn the gas cleaner

+1 on the FarkMe

That is one serious mother of a burner. I reckon it would melt my pot :eek: :blink:

+2 on the ga burner - that is awesome.

I hate to think how many laws you have broken but I really dont care!!!!!

How long to bring ~130L to the boil witht hat bad boy?

The purpose of whirlpooling is to form a central cone of trub (hop and protien/break material) on the bottom of the kettle. A big/large diameter kettle allows for a good clear area around the trub which settles in the centre, this is why convention has been to have a bend in the pickup tube. Having a short pickup tube with a bend picking up from the base near the wall of the vessel allows room for creating a whirlpool by stirring with a paddle and for picking up clear wort outside of the central cone of trub produced by whirlpooling.

While this may be the convention, there are as many variations as there are brewers. All the variants work providing varying degrees of kettle efficiency. So long as the brewer is happy with the resulting beer, it works !

Screwy

I have never been able to get a successful whirlpool in my keggle. Bird bath yes but keggle no. Fortunately the trub seems to settle below the pickup tube, although I do tilt at the end and take some up.

+2 on the ga burner - that is awesome.

I hate to think how many laws you have broken but I really dont care!!!!!

How long to bring ~130L to the boil witht hat bad boy?

i dont ether :p

as for how long i havent tested it yet.. i still need to build a better stand for the kettle

What's a fire brick refractory?

kind of a burner chamber something like a gas forge or foundry, with the kettle on the top and a few smallish hole that the "dragons breath" can escape (as its called coming out the front of a gas forge, i also use the burner, with a different nozzle, for my forge and ,with oil added, as part of a backyard foundry, when i build it lol)

Latest posts

Back