I need to downsize! Help/Advice required

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 35653

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm about to move into a 2 bedroom apartment and am looking for advice about downsizing my current setup.

Wondering if i can make a mismatch between what I've got on hand or if I have to go down the robobrew path.

Things to keep in mind, I'll be restricted to 10 amps and will probably be brewing on the balcony or in the kitchen.

Currently on hand:
  • Keggle HLT with 3500watt element
  • Keggle MLT with mesh screen
  • Keggle Kettle with 3500watt element
  • 98L Soga SS Kettle with 3500watt element
  • Cown Urn with copper HEX inbuilt
  • 15m SS coil previously used in Keggle HLT for re-circulation
  • KK Mk3 Plate chiller
  • Nasa burner on a stand with castors
  • KK magnetic pump
  • March 815-PL pump
  • 12v Little brown pump
  • PID controller for mash/boil with switches for pumps
  • pt100 temp probes etc.
  • Rack-it brew stand
Any advice would be highly appreciated.

Thanks!

Ouch the 10 amp side of things sucks, even if you had an outdoor area without being about to get 15 you're stuffed hey.

Do you have an outdoor area at all?

damoninja said:
Ouch the 10 amp side of things sucks, even if you had an outdoor area without being about to get 15 you're stuffed hey.

Do you have an outdoor area at all?
Unfortunately not :(

Well the obvious quick fix is if you can do the balcony brewing is go to gas on your kettle and hlt. That should free up some amps.

Maybe downsize any elements you have left to 2400w/10amps? Might take a bit longer, but I just set up my new keg HLT with a 2400w element and from domestic hot water tap to strike only took a few minutes.

Do you have a balcony? will the rig fit there? Can you safely store it there? And is there enough room to brew there? Yes : convert to burners.

Answer no to any of those questions and your probably best to sell up and move to a 1v, either home made or GF or BM. The other question is how painful is cleanup going to be on the balcony (guessing the weekend) and how pissed off will the neighbours get?

Mate just send all that gear up my way I'll make sure it gets good use.

pcqypcqy said:
Well the obvious quick fix is if you can do the balcony brewing is go to gas on your kettle and hlt. That should free up some amps.

Maybe downsize any elements you have left to 2400w/10amps? Might take a bit longer, but I just set up my new keg HLT with a 2400w element and from domestic hot water tap to strike only took a few minutes.
Good suggestion - thanks!

malt junkie said:
Do you have a balcony? will the rig fit there? Can you safely store it there? And is there enough room to brew there? Yes : convert to burners.

Answer no to any of those questions and your probably best to sell up and move to a 1v, either home made or GF or BM. The other question is how painful is cleanup going to be on the balcony (guessing the weekend) and how pissed off will the neighbours get?
Currently I'm thinking it's not going to fit a 3V.. Maybe 2V at best, but that may even be pushing it.

None of the 3500W heated components will work obviously.
Probably the easiest thing would be to use your Birko Urn , PID and pump to create an recirc BIAB.

Personally I'd use the 98L pot and BIAB, keep the march and possibly even the KK pump, you could possibly rig it to run 2V with some planning
If you can get a 4800W element with 2 separate elements, you can run that off 2 separate circuits
You can check if your apartment has multiple circuits, which then means you can run a heavy duty extension to another room on another circuit, to get 2 x 10A sources.
This all hinges on having the 2 separate 10A circuits

Both GF and BM 20L were intended for apartment brewing, your not going to be knocking out double and triple batches but your also not going to be trying to clean a keg or 98L pot in the kitchen sink or with buckets.
Though nasa burner with 98l pot biab or something like this on gas or two 10amp
gallery_34261_1267_55722.jpg

More Pics
Not mine but could probably work for you. Best tip is to make setup cleanup and packup as easy as possible especially when space is tight

Does it have electric stove or mains gas seen a unit that had a gas hot water system on every balcony because the government made it law and the bill came every month and was for connection very little gas used very expensive gas.

Balcony sounds like a good idea, that's outside :p my reason for asking was if you've got anywhere outside you can go gas.

wynnum1 said:
Does it have electric stove or mains gas seen a unit that had a gas hot water system on every balcony because the government made it law and the bill came every month and was for connection very little gas used very expensive gas.
Central apartment would have to have mains gas. Does the cost of a plumber to hook it up outweigh the cost of changing equipment though? Probably if you already have the burners and can sell the electric gear I guess.

If there's aircon in the apartment ... Good chance it will be in a 15 amp circuit .. Just saying

let me know what you want for
  • 98L Soga SS Kettle with 3500watt element
:)

sp0rk said:
If you can get a 4800W element with 2 separate elements, you can run that off 2 separate circuits
You can check if your apartment has multiple circuits, which then means you can run a heavy duty extension to another room on another circuit, to get 2 x 10A sources.
This all hinges on having the 2 separate 10A circuits
The breakers and wiring should be able to handle 4800w right, with the outlet itself being the thing that cannot handle 2400w.

Else when I'm running my 2400w urn outside (only thing in the point) and my wife boils the kettle or turns on the microwave or vacuums or uses a heater on the same circuit it'd trip the RCD.

If all these things at once are happening on the same circuit then yeah you're over 4800w so it'll trip.

micbrew said:
If there's aircon in the apartment ... Good chance it will be in a 15 amp circuit .. Just saying
True, if there's a wall unit there'll be a 15A or 20A outlet you can use, if it's a split system less likely an outlet but a circuit just for the AC especially if it's a big 9kw one or something.

Have a look at the power box to see what is available would think that if you had many electrical appliances would need more then 10 amps like toaster kettle microwave and electric cook top and oven would need 30 amps .

damoninja said:
The breakers and wiring should be able to handle 4800w right, with the outlet itself being the thing that cannot handle 2400w.

Else when I'm running my 2400w urn outside (only thing in the point) and my wife boils the kettle or turns on the microwave or vacuums or uses a heater on the same circuit it'd trip the RCD.

If all these things at once are happening on the same circuit then yeah you're over 4800w so it'll trip.
IF they are using 20A (or bigger) breakers yes
But talking to sparky mates lately and they've said they're seeing lots of new apartments with only 15A provided to two rooms next to each other
Can't hurt to check your wiring first to make sure

Thanks all for your advice and suggestions.

Few options:

1. Use the crown urn for BIAB with a pump > Single batches, would have to rip out the copper hex
2. Use the 98l pot for BIAB/K-mart pot malt pipe, two elements @ 2400watt with two different circuits > could still pump out doubles or maybe even triples?

BrutusB said:
Thanks all for your advice and suggestions.

Few options:

1. Use the crown urn for BIAB with a pump > Single batches, would have to rip out the copper hex
2. Use the 98l pot for BIAB/K-mart pot malt pipe, two elements @ 2400watt with two different circuits > could still pump out doubles or maybe even triples?
some of the guys used some really cheap 56L pots from ebay for malt pipe which would be closer to size for your 98L pot if you head down this road let me know and I track down the thread.

Mike

Back