I Messed Up... Tell Me How Bad.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nothing2Fancy

Reaction score
I recently started my first batch using Coopers Heritage Lager mix + Coopers Light Malt Extract. After about 5 days I transferered to my "secondary fermentation" carboy. Here's where I screwed up: during the transfer, I resanitized the airlock (three piece plastic) but accidentally left out the small plastic bell shaped piece that fits over the tube. Essentially, my beer was open to air for about 3 days before I realized I had done this. How will this effect my beer???? Thanks for any help. -Tyler

Really depends on how much positive pressure the brew was producing. If there was enough gas being produced to prevent anything going in then all will be good. Only time will tell. At this stage, continue with the brew.

Cheers,
Greg

Really depends on how much positive pressure the brew was producing. If there was enough gas being produced to prevent anything going in then all will be good. Only time will tell. At this stage, continue with the brew.

Cheers,
Greg

Hmmm.... I don't think there was much gas being produced at all. Fermentation seems to have pretty much come to a standstill (I think): zero foam on top. I guess we will see.

Hmmm.... I don't think there was much gas being produced at all. Fermentation seems to have pretty much come to a standstill (I think): zero foam on top. I guess we will see.

Don't worry too much. There are heaps of guys on this site that never use air locks. In my opinion there is a risk of infection but judging on the experience of others it is minimal.

Hope it turns out a great beer.

jimmy

Don't worry too much. There are heaps of guys on this site that never use air locks. In my opinion there is a risk of infection but judging on the experience of others it is minimal.

Hope it turns out a great beer.

jimmy

also by this point there would have been a fair bit of alcohol produced, making it far less inviting/less food for any wild yeasts or infections to munch on.

RDWHAHB and dont let it happen again :p

also by this point there would have been a fair bit of alcohol produced, making it far less inviting/less food for any wild yeasts or infections to munch on.

RDWHAHB and dont let it happen again :p

Thanks very much. Good to hear that I am most likely not screwed. Any advice as to when I should bottle my brew.... I am now at exactly 5 days in the initial fementer and 5 in the secondary. Stored at around 15 deg C. And no, I did not take an initial hydrometer reading.

Thanks very much. Good to hear that I am most likely not screwed. Any advice as to when I should bottle my brew.... I am now at exactly 5 days in the initial fementer and 5 in the secondary. Stored at around 15 deg C. And no, I did not take an initial hydrometer reading.

Definitely isn't ruined. When the gravity reading is the same for about 3 or so days you can be sure that its done. Has it been in the secondary for 5 days at 15 C? I assume your using the coopers ale yeast? Those temps will slow them down a bit so make sure its stable over about 4 days.

I'd be letting it warm slightly to around 18 to 19 deg C for around 24 hours before bottling to be sure fermentation is complete. The kit yeast possibly isn't true lager yeast and might be a bit dormant at 15 deg C. Since you're got rid of the majority of the 'trub' at the bottom there's no real rush, so an extra day to be sure it's finished won't hurt.

Also by warming you will release some CO2 that's dissolved in the liquid and create a bit of a CO2 blanket in the headspace. This is a neat trick to get a CO2 blanket on your secondary if you can pull it off.

Back