I Love Amarillo

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mfdes

Reaction score
I've been using amarillo and cascade dry-hopped in APAs recently. I get a rockmelon aroma that is not present in cascade-only beers. Anyone else get a rockmelon-like aroma from this hop?
Isn't it fantastic?

MFS

I think it is closer to Paw-Paw myself... But yes definite Rockmelon-like character...

I like this hop and use it alot, more often in wheaties, but when i have used it with cascade, yess i got that WTF flavour as well, because down here i would not have a clue what a "paw paw" is, and i dont think i would trust the taste of a melbourne rockmelon. B)
Horses for course`s i guess, but yes, great mystery hop!
Haysie

dunno about rockmellon, but i do love amarillo though.

current hopbursted aipa had a mix of 50g each of amarillo, cascade and cluster.

15g of POR @ 60min just to give an extra kick of bitterness, then a nice handful of hopburst mix every 5min from 30min to flameout.

crash cooled to 0C 3-4 days ago. bottle it tomorrow :D

last time i made this beer, it wasnt quite bitter enough, hence the 15g POR this time.

Howdy MFS,

I agree that Amarillo is a top hop. I certainly love the flavour and aroma but have never dry-hopped it.

One of my favourite brews and one that seems to please males and females from 17 to 70 years old is NRB's All Amarillo Ale That's a beauty and no dry-hopping involved!

If I had to compare the above recipe to a commercial beer I'd compare it (very poorly) to Little Creatures Pale Ale. The above recipe is a lot better. No sharpness in it - really well-balanced.

I've brewed a heap of lovely brews of the above using US-56 which always drank beautifully after ten days (7 days actually!) Over the last 4-6 months though I've had problems. It takes around 5 weeks to come good. I currently suspect this is because I have radically reduced the vigour of my boil. Going to have a crack at returning to my old methods next weekend. Fingers crossed this works!

Cheers,
Pat

Can't be paw-paw kevin! I hate paw-paw! What's that other thing? Oh, yep mango! Yuck! Rockmelon I like????

I'm well aware that most people like the above though ;)

Grape fruit all the way...
Both types.
Rockmelon my aarse. I like rockmelon and it taste nothing like Amarillo IMHO

I've (over)used Amarillo quite a bit in my time. Put down a lager from nothing but a few months back actually. I find in extreme cases you're bound to get quite a number of fruity and herbaceous nuances in the aroma/flavour. From what i've gathered it can be anything from grass, fresh herbs 'n spices, and pine needles, to passionfruit and guava, citrus and stonefruits between those extremes (grapefruit, lemon skin, unripe nectarine and peach seed from memory).

Rockmelon and Paw Paw on the other hand remind me more of the flavours i've had from experimenting Cascade, and the extremeties (sp?) of British style hops.
Then again its all up to personal experience.

I rather like Amarillo, though I imagine that the brewers of Little Creatures would be in shock and awe that a LCPA clone should be 100% Amariillo.
Some smellers detect rockmelon, others paw-paw (papaya), others deny paw-paw, still others are just stoned fruits. I suspect that part of the aroma of amarillo (yellow) is rotten fruit, ok rotten fresh fruit. Amarillo, to me, evokes a mixture of ripe fruits, a bit of nectarine mixed with passionfruit with hints of papaya, but all at that point of maximum ripeness.
I rather like it but if it were destroyed by mad virus, I probably would not miss it.

K

He did say Amarillo & Cascade, which makes quite a different flavour than each of those hops on it's own. The citrus of the Cascade when blended with the stonefruit of the Amarillo tastes to me like a nice ripe Paw-Paw, which is a sort of mellow Mango flavour much like rockmelon IMHO.

If you want a beer that tastes like biting into a nice ripe Ruby Red Grapefruit go with Nelson Sauvin, and lots of it! ;)

anyone tried the new season amarillo hops yet?

I hate to be a party pooper... but I'm well and truly over amarillo. Yeah its nice and grapefruity (pink ones) and there is some nectarine... all of which would be nice if every second beer I have been handed in the last year wasn't prefaced with "and this is my All Amarillo Ale... its awesome) or words to that effect.

It's the Alanis Morrisette of hops... when they first came out they were kind of interesting and a little bit different, but after three years on the high rotation playlist.... I wouldn't mind if I never heard the "All Amarillo" tune ever again. Maybe if someone samples it and combines the remaining good bits with a fresh new arrangement, then I'll recall the fondness I once had.

Its a little bit ironic.... don't ya think?

Thirsty

I'm with Thristy Boy.
I brewed an Amarillo Ale a few months ago, just to see what all the fuss was about.
Hated the taste and smell when I opened the first bottles. It has improved over 2 or 3 months, and it's drinking nicely, but it is not my favourite hop, and I don't intend to use it again for my taste. I much prefer Cascade or EKG.
Having said all that, the Amarillo Ale was a big hit with some visitors recently, so maybe I've got defective taste buds.

Notice, guys, that I used Amarillo AND Cascade, 50:50 for the dry hop. The flavour and knockout hops were 1:1:1 Centennial, Amarillo and Cascade.
I haven't done an all Amarillo beer yet, I like the complexity of blends.

MFS

My golden ale seems to be pretty popular and these days is amarillo only with dry hopping a must. More like james squire golden ale than LCPA but more flavoursome. The case swap boys enjoyed it and it was my house ale till i ran out of amarillo.

I'm a little over all amarillo / majority amarillo too

Though these beers are very popular with guests

I did use it in the following AIPA hopburst of sorts - which is drinking very nicely

#33) Crazy Cowgirl AIPA (American India Pale Ale)

Brewing Date: Thursday November 8, 2007

Batch Size (L): 19.00 Wort Size (L): 19.00
Total Grain (kg): 5.35
Anticipated OG: 1.065
Anticipated SRM: 11.4
Anticipated IBU: 59.1
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 75 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar
% Amount Name Origin Extract SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
65.4 3.50 kg. IMC Ale Malt Australia 1.044 5
28.0 1.50 kg. JW Vienna Australia 1.018 6
4.7 0.25 kg. Crystal 75L Great Britian 1.003 75
1.9 0.10 kg. Cara-Pils Dextrine Malt 1.001 2

Hops
Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
8.00 g. Cascade Pellet 5.50 5.9 60 min.
8.00 g. Centennial Pellet 9.90 10.5 60 min.
8.00 g. Amarillo Pellet 8.90 9.5 60 min.
8.00 g. Amarillo Pellet 8.90 7.3 30 min.
9.00 g. Cascade Pellet 5.50 5.1 30 min.
9.00 g. Centennial Pellet 9.90 9.1 30 min.
10.00 g. Amarillo Pellet 8.90 4.3 10 min.
10.00 g. Cascade Pellet 5.50 2.7 10 min.
10.00 g. Centennial Pellet 9.90 4.8 10 min.
10.00 g. Amarillo Pellet 8.90 0.0 Cube
10.00 g. Amarillo Pellet 8.90 0.0 Keg

Yeast
-----
US-56

The keg addition was an eye opener - it's like drinking pure hop goodness for the first few pints

Cheers

Edit: Splelllin

I can see where you get rockmelon... I think it's almost a hint pine resin. I dropped 3 pellets in a shot glass of boiling water the other day... the smell is just awesome!

Its a little bit ironic.... don't ya think?

Thirsty

:lol:

OT: The most ironic part of that song is that most of her lyrics weren't about irony at all! Bad luck anyone?

I appreciate this hop. Part of me celebrates the grassy/pink grapefruit character it can impart, but part of me remembers the great (US) Amarillo vintage of 2005, when it became de rigeur in any APA. Because of a particularly exceptional season, it became famous and has remained so. Personally, I believe it has earned it's place amongst the top hops. It's not a Britney (doesn't fall flat on its arse when it needs to perform) and it's not a Paris (it doesn't suck).

It's a modern classic....without the drawbacks of commonality. Let's hope it continues to provide us with great tasting beers. Of course, only us brewers can really control that. Good luck.

Latest posts

Back