I Kept My Whirfloc Crud- Is This A Problem

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kierent

Reaction score
I just did a partial recipe that used a whirfloc in the last 15 min of the boil. After it had cooled I transferred it to the fermenter but it didn't occur to me that the stuff on the bottom was the crud that was supposed to drop out. I was just thinking I didn't want to lose any goodness so I stirred all that stuff back up and tipped it all in, not losing anything! Is this going to be a problem? I did strain it into the fermenter but that's just the hops that gets caught there hey.

Won't hurt your beer, pretty sure someone on here did a few tests.
Whirlfloc will just make it stick and fall to the bottom faster, yeast will still gobble up suger and settle on top.

Won't hurt your beer, pretty sure someone on here did a few tests.
Whirlfloc will just make it stick and fall to the bottom faster, yeast will still gobble up suger and settle on top.

Cool thanks.

I just did a partial recipe that used a whirfloc in the last 15 min of the boil. After it had cooled I transferred it to the fermenter but it didn't occur to me that the stuff on the bottom was the crud that was supposed to drop out. I was just thinking I didn't want to lose any goodness so I stirred all that stuff back up and tipped it all in, not losing anything! Is this going to be a problem? I did strain it into the fermenter but that's just the hops that gets caught there hey.

Cold break is not so bad, hot break is better kept out. That's why you put the whirlfloc in - otherwise you may as well not use it.

Your beer won't die but best off trying to keep it out next time.

Back