I Hope This Will Carb Up

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bribie G

Adjunct Professor
Reaction score
I usually chill and Polyclar then bottle. I hadn't used gelatine finings for a while because although the beer drops nice and bright in the bottle I have found the sediment doesn't cling too well to the bottom with gelatine, swirls up on pouring, and I ended up with some trub in the jug which seemed to negate the purpose of fining in the first place.

Then I read a comment by Butters a week ago suggesting that fining should be done first then Polyclar, as the Polyclar works best without yeast present, and I thought "bingo", try that next time.

So, with my latest fake pilsener, partial mash, Notto yeast and heaps of noble hops: two days in secondary for diacetyl rest, chill and gelatine for three days, Polyclar for a couple of days, return to room temp and bottled today.

:eek: :eek:
in_the_bottle.jpgin_the_glass.jpg

Had a sneaky of the glassed sample and it's bloody awesome

All I can say is: it's moments like this you need:

• A keg
  • A beer engine and hand pump
I hope the Nottingham left a couple of cells left to work on the primings.
:rolleyes:

Edit: is this my kegging Epiphany ????? <_<

Don't blame me, you Geordie begger, you! Blame Ross! :lol:

Seriously, I had a lengthy phone conversation with Ross some time back, following emails, on the issue of the net charge of polyclar being in opposition to the net charge of finings, and whether introducing 2 process aids, of opposing charge, at the same time, would negate each other. My train of thought at the time was

My thought is to add the pvpp first, and allow it the minimum contact time recommended, 5-10 minutes in order to allow for the H bonds to form, therby negating the charges of the ppv and the proteins as individual components, which would leave the bonded protein/ppv with no charge. Then the finings can be added to bond with the yeast.

Ross's advice was that I was right, but in reverse order, and that for pvpp to be effective, the beer needs to have reasonable clarity to begin with. I've been doing it that way since, but I must admit, I have only bottled 3 longnecks in that time, because I moved to kegs, and the longies were 'extras'. But they all carbed up, no problems.

There will be ample yeast for it to carb, given time.....but I have a more than sneaking suspicion that you know that already, and are just being a cheeky sod :lol:

BTW.......thats one super clear, nice looking beer. ;)

Back