I hate my Corona mill

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

QldKev

Brew Dude
Reaction score
I have a motorised Monster Mill for my grain. It works great and makes milling grain easy. Pour in the grain and walk away to let it do it's thing.

Another hobby has left me needing flour. I want wholemeal and not the white bleached shit the pantry style stores sell. I've been putting 15kg cracked corn though my mill, but even with double milling it's still too chunky a crush. I don't want to need to change my mill setting every 5 mins, so I got a Corona mill.

First try with handle. Filled the hopper with approx 500g of cracked corn. As I adjusted the crush finer and finer, it got harder and harder to turn. Remember I'm crushing finer than if I was doing a mash. 2 hopper fulls later, I'm covered in sweat and start mods.

Second try with a bolt screwed into the handle area so I can grab it with the chuck of my 18v cordless. Drill working hard but rips into it, throwing shit everywhere. 5kg later my battery is flat. It's going to take 3 charges of a $400 cordless drill to rip through this shit.

I love my Monster Mill setup.

Anyone using these Corona mills for flour? Any tips?

If you're going for flours and meals you're going to need something with either natural or composition stone. At least, if you want to keep your sanity. No expert on Coronas, but I did grind my own flours and cornmeal for years, both as a hobby and professionally, and stone is the way to go. Depends on what you want. Brief research says coarse polenta is possible with a Corona. Flours, my experience says stone.

HBHB said:
A few gym sessions and you'll love it :ph34r:
At least it's my drivers arm. When I drive down the road with my arm out the window everyone will think I'm a muscle man. :super:
Downside is anymore tatts will double in price due to the extra size needed.

Mardoo said:
If you're going for flours and meals you're going to need something with either natural or composition stone. At least, if you want to keep your sanity. No expert on Coronas, but I did grind my own flours and cornmeal for years, both as a hobby and professionally, and stone is the way to go. Depends on what you want. Brief research says coarse polenta is possible with a Corona. Flours, my experience says stone.
Flour may not be the best term. I've been using it from my monster mill at a 0.9mm crush, but was just after more finer. But in knowing this, long term I may keep an eye out for a stone mill and be able to try finer again.

If you're into baking and cooking there's just nothing like fresh ground flours. Interesting thing about corn is that it goes rancid within about three days of grinding. That's where the bitterness in the background comes from. Fresh ground cornmeal is so sweet you barely need to add sugar for baking. I had to leave my home mill in the States when I emigrated here. I regret it all the time.

Hope you find your solution!

Buy a cheap 240V drill and forget the charging. Bunnings is your friend, buy a cheap one and when it craps, return it for a replacement like the tradies do.

I use an Ozito corded spade-handle variable speed drill from the big green shed - was about $80. It's perfect for use on the Marga, been using it for around two years now, and should be fine for a Corona. However even the Marga doesn't produce fine flour, best I've got out of it is something a bit finer than Polenta - I checked one site to see what a Corona looked like and on that particular site they did say "the Corona is NOT a flour mill, it's a corn mill".

Corona mill was originally patented for cracking corn for chicken feed, not milling flour. So why hate it for something it wasn't intended to do...

Latest posts

Back