I lost my virginity today!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Outback

Reaction score
Well yesterday to be precise. My first AG brew, using a robo with intact cherry.
First brew was a stone and wood clone. Rookie error meant I used too much sparge water and even after a longer boil time still ended up with too much wort. Pretty miserable efficiency add well. Wort tastes very sweet, I'm a bit concerned.

Onward and upward, set the timer to have strike water ready this morning. Mashed in at 7.00 for a Kilkenny red.
I was more careful of required volumes and all went smoothly. Efficiency improved to 65%, tasted "nice" as it went into fermenter.

Third times a charm. Like all young fellas when they work out what is REALLY all about I couldn't wait to crack on. I decided to run the grain through the mill twice, i didn't adjust the gap between crushes, i just reckoned there were a few grains sneaking through unmilled. efficiency 73%, and you could drink this for breakfast.

Doing three brews in quick succession let me learn and improve"now" rather than forget next time, so I'm glad I did it this way. I'm currently running at capacity now fermenter wise, Just need to be patient for a little while.

Well yesterday to be precise. My first AG brew, using a robo with intact cherry.
First brew was a stone and wood clone. Rookie error meant I used too much sparge water and even after a longer boil time still ended up with too much wort. Pretty miserable efficiency add well. Wort tastes very sweet, I'm a bit concerned.

Onward and upward, set the timer to have strike water ready this morning. Mashed in at 7.00 for a Kilkenny red.
I was more careful of required volumes and all went smoothly. Efficiency improved to 65%, tasted "nice" as it went into fermenter.

Third times a charm. Like all young fellas when they work out what is REALLY all about I couldn't wait to crack on. I decided to run the grain through the mill twice, i didn't adjust the gap between crushes, i just reckoned there were a few grains sneaking through unmilled. efficiency 73%, and you could drink this for breakfast.

Doing three brews in quick succession let me learn and improve"now" rather than forget next time, so I'm glad I did it this way. I'm currently running at capacity now fermenter wise, Just need to be patient for a little while.
Onya mate will take a few brews to get your robo brew dialed in. Im sure there are a few on here who have same system so you can learn off them.

I wouldn’t worry too much about missing the exact measurements or about the sweetness. Your final product may not be an exact clone but it’s still probably going to taste nice.
I made tarted up kit beers and partials for 20 years and, like you, I’ve just started my AG journey. I have done six brews now and my first one was also a SnW pacific ale attempt. I undershot my numbers a bit but it still turned out really good. Now I’ve gone down the AG path, it’s unlikely I will ever do kits again unless I need quick keg fillers.

I wouldn’t worry too much about missing the exact measurements or about the sweetness. Your final product may not be an exact clone but it’s still probably going to taste nice.
I made tarted up kit beers and partials for 20 years and, like you, I’ve just started my AG journey. I have done six brews now and my first one was also a SnW pacific ale attempt. I undershot my numbers a bit but it still turned out really good. Now I’ve gone down the AG path, it’s unlikely I will ever do kits again unless I need quick keg fillers.
X2 here. I have only brewed slightly twisted versions of the s&w to sample different types of hops while i perfect my technique.

Been looking for feedback on the Robo, is it easy to set up watched a clip and all seemed straight forward? I notice generation 3 can do a 30 litre batch which is awesome.

I've had mine for the best part of a month, since then I've watched youtube video I could find. Because I work for myself, time is a big issue, so I decided to pretty much take the weekend to play with the new toy. I would have to say the Robo performed flawlessly. It is priced to get people like me into AG, and it worked, without it I would stick to extracts and FWK.

I guess the final result will be known in a couple of weeks but I'm looking for the next brew to try.

Well done mate. Don't get too hung up on efficiency, being consistent is more important. If you consistently hit 65% efficiency you'll make much better beer than if you swing between 80% and 60%. Each system has it's own sweet spot efficiency wise, and it takes a few brews to work out where yours sits.

Make sure you keep good notes of each brew day, and what you did so you know what you have changed/can compare to what you did last time. It will help you iron out problems much quicker than just "winging" it.

JD

Back