I Dont Like Amarillo

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swinging Beef

Blue Cod
Reaction score
Does that make me odd?
I made Smurtos Golden ale, and it is not for me.
Is the JS Golden Ale 100% amarillo, or only the aromas?
I feel the Amarilo has provided a kind of licorice/anniseed flavour to the brew.

Send me all of your Amarillo and all of the products you have made from it. I will dispose of them in an environmentally freindly manner. And yes, you are odd. ^_^

Cheers - Mike

Have you had other beers made with Amarillo? I'm not sure I've heard of or tasted aniseed in Amarillo brews.

I will have to agree that it doesn't tickle my fancy too much. I find that it accentuates sweet tastes too much for my liking, like intensely sweet fruit.

ED: Just leaves more for others when the planet is short of the stuff.

ALSO when I am at the Courthouse in Newtown, I tend to go for the Justice Ale, which is very Amarillo-y, go figure

Heresy, pure heresy!!!!!

Have Golden ale on tap at the moment and the amarillo is pure heaven!!!

And that's a yes from him, and it's a yes from me.

Aniseed does sound a bit odd though- is it possible that you have something else going on with this beer that's not hop related? Aniseed is probably a flavour I'd associate immediately either with an infection (band-aid medicinal taste) or perhaps a brew that's been fermented way too hot.........

Does that make me odd?
I feel the Amarilo has provided a kind of licorice/anniseed flavour to the brew.

You are odd, but we won't go there. : B)

I have the JSGA commercial variety in my fridge at the moment and it isn't actually as hoppy as I assumed it would be. Seems far more malt driven than hop driven imo. Been brewing a lot of APAs using cascade and amarillo lately and get far more hoppiness from my stuff, so maybe commercial stuff will always be tamer than HB. While the boys will tell you I'm not the best beer judge in the game, I'm not getting anything like licorice/ aniseed in the commercial stuff. Their (JS) advertising mentions late amarillo but I'm not getting it from ther nose either. Not like say Little Creaturs Pale Ale - I love snorting that like a cocaine addict ! Even that Cascade Green beer has a nice cascade hop type aroma. But unless this is real old stock, nothing strong jumps out here.

I have made Smurtos GA as per his (second) version which was a nice drop. But it was also one of my first no chills and clearly overhopped. JS say they are aiming for an "english" version pale ale" in spite of the amarillo.

Maybe you've Belgiumed yourself in excess and educated your taste buds away from american style hops ?

Does that make me odd?

I don't think your odd, all Amarillo turns it into a girlie drink but mixed with Simcoe and Cascade is another story

Rook

Had a few JSGA's a couple of years ago and didn't like them (that's why I had a few to see if the taste would improve!) I didn't like the fruity floral stuff, being a pom I prefer malt driven or the Euro hops in Pilseners.

I just can't come at something that claims to be an ale but is frozen cold, fizzy, orange and that fruit blast.

I'll be at the JS bar in a few weeks and will try a JSGA for old times now that I'm brewing and taste buds may have changed, but really looking forward to their pilsener style.

I have the JSGA commercial variety in my fridge at the moment and it isn't actually as hoppy as I assumed it would be. Seems far more malt driven than hop driven imo. Been brewing a lot of APAs using cascade and amarillo lately and get far more hoppiness from my stuff, so maybe commercial stuff will always be tamer than HB. While the boys will tell you I'm not the best beer judge in the game, I'm not getting anything like licorice/ aniseed in the commercial stuff. Their (JS) advertising mentions late amarillo but I'm not getting it from ther nose either. Not like say Little Creaturs Pale Ale - I love snorting that like a cocaine addict ! Even that Cascade Green beer has a nice cascade hop type aroma. But unless this is real old stock, nothing strong jumps out here.

You must of missed so many previous threads on the JSGA... they have dumbed down the beer! It used to be devine and was full of new season amarillo hops but now it is so ordinary!

And Rook I must just love being a girl! go amarillo... though I dont mind mixing it up either so what does that make me??? :rolleyes:

You must of missed so many previous threads on the JSGA... they have dumbed down the beer! It used to be devine and was full of new season amarillo hops but now it is so ordinary!

And Rook I must just love being a girl! go amarillo... though I dont mind mixing it up either so what does that make me??? :rolleyes:

DAMN! I thought there was something about it that wasn't quite on the money this time around, but put it down to having my last decent glass of it a while ago and thought nothing more. Now I know it WAS my last decent glass of it... :(

As for liking Amarillo...anyone see that add for chicken with the stern woman and her suggestion? :lol:

- boingk

I also have the JSGA clone on draught at the moment and do not notice any such flavours. I used Palmers spreadsheet and adjusted my water for a malty profile and it worked well, has a great initial hop flavour and aroma followed up by a nice malty background.

Very happy with it. I grabbed six 750ml bottles of these will be in the case swap Barra is looking at organising.

Does that make me odd?

I love it... have a couple of kilos of it in the freezer. I think that JS Golden Ale is all Amarillo... could be wrong though, wouldn't be the first time.

And here I was thinking I was the only one who doesn't fancy Amarillo.

I brewed an Amarillo Pale Ale about 18 months ago, and just didn't like the character it gave to the beer, particularly when it was young.
I managed to eventually drink it after about 6 months, when the overt Amarillo character had faded, and it turned into quite a nice APA.

For my taste, I love Northern Brewer and Cascade in my APAs. It's one of my standard brews, and I'm more than happy with it.

And here I was thinking I was the only one who doesn't fancy Amarillo.

I brewed an Amarillo Pale Ale about 18 months ago, and just didn't like the character it gave to the beer, particularly when it was young.
I managed to eventually drink it after about 6 months, when the overt Amarillo character had faded, and it turned into quite a nice APA.

For my taste, I love Northern Brewer and Cascade in my APAs. It's one of my standard brews, and I'm more than happy with it.
Hmm.. Im all over that like a mad dogs sick.
I will leave these buggers sit for a while and see if it levels out more to my liking.
I do admit.. Im not a big fan of hoppy brews, I leave them to my wife and friends, who go fecal simian over massive 100+IBU American IPA.
My tastes are more towards the English and Belgian low hopped ales.

I just wondered if anyone else found Amarillo an unusal flavour and aroma.

Are there any other hops I should wrap my laughing gear around for unusual strong flavours either way?

The hops I tend to favour are Saaz, Chinook, EKG and Goldings.

Had a Golden Ale in a pub and thought that must be roughly the taste you would expect of a cats liquid waste. Have to buy one in a bottleshop however and see how that tastes. Cant rely on one tasting only.

Latest posts

Back