I Dont Like Amarillo

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I find amarillo is great when you put in a small amount for a hint of flavour/aroma in a throw down type lager... or in massive amounts, like when you are brewing an IPA and getting scared at the insane amount you putting into the brew. Then again I love passionfruit.

I guess what I'm getting at is that it is a bit funky at the standard weight addition. Add a half or multiply the amount and you'll like it.

I find the same with hops like nelson sauvin. If you avoid the middle ground, or combine it with another hop(s) it is awesome.

Don't give up on it all together.

Tony's suggestion of it with NZ Styrians (though I have only used Slovenian) and your comment Jazzafish, both make me want to go buy some some and use just a pinch. I guess the debate is because it is such a distinctive (and sweet) flavour. Maybe I could add like 5g to a dry ale that is all NB or noble hops and try to treat it as part of a more savoury than sweet recipe. I think I have been using it right in that middle ground flavour addition territory you mentioned Jazza.

OK so I took my Myer gift card round to the big Liquorland on the Island and obtained six JSGA which I am drinking right now. The first bottle I poured into a nice thin glass and immediately I was six years old again suffering from tonsilitis and there was my faithful glass of bright orange lucozade.

Got over that and tasted it, and it's not a bad ale but the hops are to my personal taste, a bit strange.. there's also a hint of metallic something or other.

What's the bottle code on that JSGA you have? Near the date stamp, there's a two or three digit code. I'll bet pounds to peanuts it's a 142. Was so nice when they were all 15's.

Please don't bag the beer, bag Lion Nathan for putting JS beers into the old Swan brewery and other wort production facilities all over this fine nation.

If aniseed is the percieved smell/taste then that does not sound like amarillo. Perhaps there is something else in your process? in saying that, i am bias. (if it were realistically possible with no advers affects) Id inject the stuff :p

Leary

Latest posts

Back