I Broke My Nasa Burner

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snow

Beer me up, Scotty!
Reaction score
My own stupid fault - I was trying to screw on a copper tube to seperate the burner from the flexi hose and I managed to snap the connector and control knob off the end of the burner. :( It doesn't look fixable, so I need another burner.

Trouble is, the burner stand is a perfect size, so I would still like to use it, if possible. My 2 ring camp-shop burner fits in between the NASA outlet and the rack that the kettle sits on. Would I be able to hook up my high pressure reg and use my camp burner as a substitute NASA burner? Or should I just get a new NASA burner?

Alternatively, would it be cheaper for me to just get a 3 ring camp-shop burner and use that (I do brew in my shed, so maybe this would be safer?). I have been using an immersion heater to get up to boil, along with the 2 ring burner (but the 2-ring on its own doesn't give me an adequate rollong boil), so I guess the 3-ring jobbie would be sufficient. Does anyone out there use a 3-ring burner? Do you get a good rolling boil?

Cheers - Snow

My own stupid fault - I was trying to screw on a copper tube to seperate the burner from the flexi hose and I managed to snap the connector and control knob off the end of the burner. :( It doesn't look fixable, so I need another burner.

Trouble is, the burner stand is a perfect size, so I would still like to use it, if possible. My 2 ring camp-shop burner fits in between the NASA outlet and the rack that the kettle sits on. Would I be able to hook up my high pressure reg and use my camp burner as a substitute NASA burner? Or should I just get a new NASA burner?

Alternatively, would it be cheaper for me to just get a 3 ring camp-shop burner and use that (I do brew in my shed, so maybe this would be safer?). I have been using an immersion heater to get up to boil, along with the 2 ring burner (but the 2-ring on its own doesn't give me an adequate rollong boil), so I guess the 3-ring jobbie would be sufficient. Does anyone out there use a 3-ring burner? Do you get a good rolling boil?

Cheers - Snow

I have a 4 ring burner, and I usually turn the outer ring off once the wort is boiling or I get boilovers. So I think a 3 ring burner would be fine to keep a boil ticking over, it might just be a bit slower to get to the boil. I guess the immersion heater would help with that.

James

I use a 2 ring with a med pressure adjustable reg and would not recomend using a high pressure reg

my 2 ring with med pressure works ok until i upgrade to an italian spiral

I would put the money you were going to spend on a 3 ring towards a new nasa

My suggestion is "go electric" to save heaps of money in the long term (I know credit card people don't accept this argument)!

If you are happy with gas and CO (I am scared of CO), I have a redundant 3 ring, 3 valve camping burner, including regulator, you can have for $40 in Brisbane.

It might not be beyond repair. If the casting is still intact it is fixable. Show us a pic of what bit broke off.

I use a 3 ring with a standard BBG reg (2.6KG/hr) and achieve a decent boil for a preboil volume of 28L. I always fire the burner up towards the middle of the first batch sparge. A Nasa would probably get to boil quicker, but the 3 ring handles it admirably.

I use a 3 ring burner Snow, it gets up to boil without any problems and then the inside ring is turned off to give a nice rolling boil. If I keep all 3 burners going it tends to cause boil overs.
I've got an adjustable high pressure regulator on it to but it is set at the lowest setting, any higher and the flames tend to blow out.

Andrew

post up some pics mate, everything is fixable :)

cheers

Of course everythings fixable,that's what we fitters do ;)

Batz

and us boilermakers would be lost without the bloody fitters ;)

Yard

You had to be one or the other

Others would have tried rebooting it :lol:

Batz

You're not a real brewer if you don't have a NASA.
I mean I'm not sayin'....I'm just saying.

ok ok thanks guys - I'll take some photos and get back to you. Although.... I'm still a little uneasy about using a NASA burner inside my shed. Electricity, wires, liquids and 90 minutes of steam make me uneasy, too.....

I'm still a little uneasy about using a NASA burner inside my shed. Electricity, wires, liquids and 90 minutes of steam make me uneasy, too.....

NO JOKE!

Diluted water vapor that will NEVER be flammable and insulated wires are nothing compared to concentrated CO in an enclosed area! Your mum and Dad or Wife or GF will not know you are dead till the next day. It's a silent death!

I nearly died in an enclosed carport using something like that, Lucky I recognised the headspins to be CO poisoning! Are you running a flue in your shed?

No flue, but the front door and side doors are always open during the boil, and there is a decent gap between the front wall and the roof, so plenty of ventilation. I mentioned the steam because I did have my immersion heater short out when steam condensed onto the cord and ran down into the slightly open jacket that covers the top of the element connection. I got the yell from SWMBO... "Snow why has the power gone out??"

No flue, but the front door and side doors are always open during the boil, and there is a decent gap between the front wall and the roof, so plenty of ventilation. I mentioned the steam because I did have my immersion heater short out when steam condensed onto the cord and ran down into the slightly open jacket that covers the top of the element connection. I got the yell from SWMBO... "Snow why has the power gone out??"

Snow,

You seem to have the old model Grimwood immersion heater. The latest version has solved the problem of the electrics parting from the element handle. Binding the two bits together with twine & a couple of paddle pop sticks then wrapping with electrical tape will solve this problem.

TP :beer:

Back