Hydrometer Readings Up And Down....

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan A

Reaction score
Hi,

Could you tell me if this is weird, or can the readings fluctuate based on temp etc?

The brew is a Cascade Lager http://www.cascadehomebrew.com.au/brewkits/brewkit_gh.asp

brew.jpg

Dan

Hiya Dan,

Yes temperature does affect readings, but the small temperature changes you have seen are not the cause.

All sorts of things can throw a hydrometer reading, check this old post for a few ideas: Link

Hey Dan,

I have probably read your graph wrong but I only see one strange reading at day 1. Can we see some repeated measures and standard errors?

Did you add the yeast with the kit? Doesn't look like it is fermenting. Rousing the yeast at about 8 hours (ie give the fermenter a good swirl) usually is beneficial. Gives the yeast a bit of oxygen and allows it to divide again. Keep us updated

cheers

Darren

Only one?

The SG has been increasing since day 2 and alcohol % decreasing.

Think he means take 2-3 samples at the same time per day and compare that way to be sure the reading is correct.

If it wasn't fermenting and day1 reading was an error, then that would explain the graph.

Yeah, it is a bit strange, although there is foam forming on the top of the brew now, maybe it will kick off tomorrow, it appears to be fermenting, although not that the recordings show.

I used the kit yeast and stirred it into the top layer of the wort.

Dan

I used the kit yeast and stirred it into the top layer of the wort.

Give it a good stir when you pitch and get some air into it to give the yeast some O2 to work with. That will get the ferment starting quicker and subsequently drop the gravity more to your expectations.

Latest posts

Back