Hydrometer & FG

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GalBrew said:
Still the rising action of the CO2 bubbles will lift your hydro up in the sample.
Unless I'm missing something here, if there was enough head space in the sample jar then this shouldn't be an issue?

slash22000 said:
I imagine that siphoning samples from a carboy would introduce a lot of oxygen to it? Plus wouldn't it waste a lot of beer?
Perhaps. I'm not too sure, I've never done it before. Just speculation on my part. I wouldn't have thought so though. I guess you start the siphon and then judge how much you need in the test tube before you shut the siphon off and let the siphon tube drain into your sample tube. Again pure speculation though as I haven't done this before.

When i had a similar problem , I looked out for a decent sized turkey baster (something like this http://www.amazon.com/Norpro-5897-Glass-Baster/dp/B0000CFSHX) but bigger. It's basically a large pipette, this one holds around 60ml. Dunno how much you need for a hydro sample though, maybe 120mls?

As for adding oxygen to the beer? I wouldn't have thought so. it will probably oxygenate the hydro sample to a degree, but the beer in the carboy? I don't reckon, but like I said, I haven't done it before so I'm only speculating.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back