Hydrometer accuracy test.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Will it work to weight the hydro a bit to correct the reading? I'm thinking wrap a few rounds of electrical tape around the top until it sinks to 1.000?

BTW, Pat at Absolute Homebrew carries a nice accurate Hydro, I think its British, for 16-20$ IIRC. Its not on his website, you might want to give him a call...

https://absolutehomebrew.com.au

But they are fragile... says the man on his third.

Ouch.

Old thread but i'll save creating a new one.

I've read several forums and seems like its common to have a cheap hydrometer 2 or 3 points out. Glad I tested mine because it's 12 or 13 points out! I am a novice homebrewer but I'm pretty sure I'm not reading it wrong! Anyone seen one that bad? Surely the paper inside can't have slipped that much. I might have to return it to the store. I've done 2 brews with it and seeing as my setup is new I thought I was getting incredible mash efficiency with OG 10-12 points higher than it should have been, and I thought my yeast was a bit pathetic when my FG was 1.022. Turns out I'm sitting close to 70% efficiency, hitting my OG and final gravity is great too.

Anyway, glad I'm brewing again - i'll be back on the AHB forums here are there I reckon.

What temp is it calibrated to and what temp are your samples?

dave_hl said:
Old thread but i'll save creating a new one.

I've read several forums and seems like its common to have a cheap hydrometer 2 or 3 points out. Glad I tested mine because it's 12 or 13 points out! I am a novice homebrewer but I'm pretty sure I'm not reading it wrong! Anyone seen one that bad? Surely the paper inside can't have slipped that much. I might have to return it to the store. I've done 2 brews with it and seeing as my setup is new I thought I was getting incredible mash efficiency with OG 10-12 points higher than it should have been, and I thought my yeast was a bit pathetic when my FG was 1.022. Turns out I'm sitting close to 70% efficiency, hitting my OG and final gravity is great too.
Anyway, glad I'm brewing again - i'll be back on the AHB forums here are there I reckon.
I have one like that - reads 1.010 for water at 20 oC

mstrelan said:
What temp is it calibrated to and what temp are your samples?
Unsure what it's calibrated to, but wort samples are 18 degrees, and tap temp is about 23 I think. Regardless, it's out by a long shot no matter what it's calibrated to because those temp changes only change it by a couple points or so right?

Back