TILT HYDROMETER

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nala

Reaction score
Recently bought a Tilt Hydrometer.
Used it for the latest three brews.
Not altogether sure if the readings I am getting both from OG or FG are acurate !
I have calibrated in water for both gravity and temperature.

The readings I get for OG do not correspond to the readings by either Refractometer or conventional
hydrometer.

I next calibrated the Tilt to a reading from both refractometer and hydrometer.

My latest brew showed a FG reading of 1,005 from the Tilt, the gravity reading by hydrometer 1,012.
The other reading on the Tilt showed FG of 1,003 uncalibrated.
A little taste of the finished beer tells me that the hydrometer reading of 1,012 is more likely to be correct.
Anyone got advice on how to proceed?

Hi
I have one of the early tilts. It has changed the wY I brew.

They really are not for the definitive SG readings.
They are to monitor the brewing process. So you can follow the brewing progress. And you can see when the brewing is finished and the SG stops dropping.

You can also do all this without lifting the lid on fermenter and risking infection.

Once done then you can use refractometer or other to measure the FG and calculate alcohol etc.

Generally my tilt is within maybe 0.004 of actual. There are a lot of factors that affect SG. And several that specifically affect tilt type sensors.

James

You can do a multi point calibration with water sugar solutions to get more accurate SG readings.
Below is the first video in a 3 part series.

Dry hopping can effect the SG reading if the hops aren’t in a hop sock because hop matter can stick to the tilt making the readings inaccurate. Krausen can also stick to the tilt effecting the accuracy.

I haven’t done a multi point calibration and I don’t use hop socks but I use my tilts as SG and temperature monitoring guides and double check FG with my hydrometer

Thanks guys for your reply.
I managed without a Tilt for 12 years...I think I will return to my old way.

I have an Ispindel-- connected to fermentrack software-- installed on a raspberry Pi-- via WiFi. I also use a brewpi temperature controller connected the same way into fermentrack.

Its reasonably accurate but I too use it just to know when fermentation has finished and then I take a sample before transfer to the keg and get my FG then.
(Ignore the spike on the 5th July, it was a manual entry as I was playing around with the app.

ispindel 1.jpg

I love my Tilt. I have it integrated to Brewfather and I find it to be pretty accurate. It may have the odd anomaly here and there but they're usually short lived and I find it's pretty spot on with the final readings. Here's a shot of it in Brewfather:

upload_2019-7-26_13-58-43.png

The future is here. I can monitor temp and gravity remotely and thanks to the Inkbird WiFi temp controller I can adjust whenever I feel like it.

Also, if you haven't checked out Brewfather yet, give it a go. I don't see myself ever returning to Beersmith.

I to have mine integrated with brew father. Only used it twice so far. The anomaly's don't bother me as they are just a hiccup. I do however have issues with accuracy. My 1.050 SG (hydrometer). The Tilt only showed 1.035. Changed the reading in settings. Took a sample at about day 3 and the adjusted reading is way to high and the uncalibrated value was pretty close??? Think gunk stuck to the top doesn't help.
Next time I will try the 3 point cal thing.

Back