Humming KK Element

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

_HOME_BREW_WALLACE_

Professional Drunken Yahoo!
Reaction score
Just a quick Q. Has anyone had a KegKing Element that makes your Kettle hum? I know they are worthless pieces of shit and all. Is it a harmonic frequency or something? has anyone else had the same problem?

Mine doesn't make any noise (2400 watt)
And I haven't had a problem with it either.

Edit: You don't mean the noise of bubbles forming that always happens around ~80C ?
(Which AFAIK happens when water gets to this temperature in any vessel)

Mr Wibble said:
Mine doesn't make any noise (2400 watt)
And I haven't had a problem with it either.
Is yours a SS keg king element? i didnt think they were 2400W. Anyway if its from KK, you will have problems soon.

Mr Wibble said:
Edit: You don't mean the noise of bubbles forming that always happens around ~80C ?
(Which AFAIK happens when water gets to this temperature in any vessel)

No mate. its definetly a distinct noise. I have never heard it before until today.

It can happen, but is pretty rare. Try doing the nut up a bee dick tighter to see if it helps.

I thought that already. i didnt think it was of any importance. I tightened it slightly. turned the element off, then back on again. then when it started humming again i went the other way.

get onto whoever you got it from they may have the words.

The humming is possibly due to the insulating powder (usually magnesium oxide) inside the element sheath having a little wiggle room inside of it (not being packed as hard as it could be)
When the wire coil inside the element heats up it creates a slight magnetic field and the attraction can cause the coils to vibrate
I've never heard of this leading to problems, you hear it in grilling elements in ovens quite a bit

Latest posts

Back