Huh ! This Home Brewing Lark Is Not So Cheap After All

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pumpy

Pumpy's Brewery.
Reaction score
I suppose it depends how much you value your leisure time , I can only assume that most home brewers are poor lost souls who have little time for much else .

Yes the beer may cost 80 cents per litre but Hell what about the cost of my time

I spend in my time ( not costed )

5 hours on a Sunday Mashing
1 hours per week cleaning kegs/Cubes & fermenters , More for bottling.
2 hours chasing exotic ingredients for the Hoegaaarden
2 hours fiddling around with Beersmith
4 hours on AHB keeping abreast of the Bulk buys ,Techincal info and general gossip .
1 hour the club monthy meet amortised weekly .
5 hours per week drinking the stuff
4 hours walking round the block to reduce beer gut to get more room for more beer
1 hour Bottling and kegging
1 hour cleaning and polishing the Celli taps on my Beer fridge .

This equates to One whole day on on the whole 'cheap' hobby per week, now if this time was spent working, I reckon I would earn enough to spend $200 on beer so I dont think making Homebrew is cheap .

Hell Yeah Pumpy :(

True, but would you enjoy the time you spent working to earn that $200 more than you enjoy the time brewing/talking/browsing/etc?

Cheaper than sticking needles in your arm or some other hobby like that.

And atleast I know I wont kill myself this way...

...but presumably you would still have 4 hours walking and 5 hours drinking it - mind you at retail rates I suspect both those numbers would be reduced.

:huh:

its probably best not to think about it.

Only 4 hours a week on AHB? :eek:

I would easily spend 40 hours a week :p Thanks full time job in front of a PC... :lol:

I would easily spend 40 hours a week :p Thanks full time job in front of a PC..

yeah me to...so we actually earn money to learn more about our craft... so Im getting paid education.. WAHOOOOOOOO!

yeah me to...so we actually earn money to learn more about our craft... so Im getting paid education.. WAHOOOOOOOO!

ditto. God where would I be without unrestricted internet access in the workplace?

:p

Nice to be in the IT department. We monitor the crap out of everyone else's connection and exclude ourselves from the watch list!

yep... paid research... I don't know how many recipes I have formulated/researched while sitting at work... :beer:

ditto. God where would I be without unrestricted internet access in the workplace?

:p

Nice to be in the IT department. We monitor the crap out of everyone else's connection and exclude ourselves from the watch list!

I have restricted access, all the top hit sites come up on a list and get blocked, im pretty sure im the only ASB employee who uses this site tho :rolleyes:

Steady Katie one should not drink and work at the same time you may get RSI

Pumpy :)

I work for a govt dept..... so they firewall everything... but for some reason aussie home brewer has slipped through!

I'm an amatuer brewer therefore my time is not paid for and therefore not costed.
Simple really :)

I work for a govt dept..... so they firewall everything... but for some reason aussie home brewer has slipped through!

Cos that would be Un-Australian :beerbang: :lol:

4 hours on AHB keeping abreast of the Bulk buys ,Techincal info and general gossip .

soft. i would spend at least 6 hours. or maybe thats just sad on my behalf. But then agin I have full IT access at work.

any hobby/sport takes time.

I'm an amatuer brewer therefore my time is not paid for and therefore not costed.
Simple really :)

nicely said

I am sure people that build ships in bottles also have meets and forums where they spend their day pretending to work. I think it just comes with having a hobby. The difference is that the people building ships in bottles buy commercial beer and spend the rest of their money on wood glue and toothpicks.

And atleast I know I wont kill myself this way...

At least not quickly. Hopefully those artificial livers are coming soon. mmmm

I am sure people that build ships in bottles also have meets and forums where they spend their day pretending to work. I think it just comes with having a hobby. The difference is that the people building ships in bottles buy commercial beer and spend the rest of their money on wood glue and toothpicks.
And therefore are being inefficient with their money - at least our money is going to produce something we can consume at a lower amount that we could buy the same goods on the market. Homebrewers are always ahead!

soft. i would spend at least 6 hours. or maybe thats just sad on my behalf. But then agin I have full IT access at work.

any hobby/sport takes time.

nicely said

I was not quite honest but did not want tostate the real time and be classed as a 'AHB Beer Nerd'

Pumpy :)

Im with you guys. i spend probaly half my day on the forums. so prob 20 hours a week lol..

I didnt start Home brewing becuase i wanted to save money. i started to learn everything i can about beer. PLUS Hb tastes allot better than nearly all megaswill. and you have the pleasure of knowing you made this beer thats making all your mates happy.

Latest posts

Back