Huh ! This Home Brewing Lark Is Not So Cheap After All

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On the bright side, You could look at the time brewing saves you.

Eg. SWMBO says she wants us to meet up with friends etc.
"Sorry honey, I need to brew to prepare that stout your dad really loves"
That's about 6-8 hours of sanity saved.

<snip>
5 hours per week drinking the stuff
4 hours walking round the block to reduce beer gut to get more room for more beer
</snip>
Don't forget the countless hours eating food/breathing air needed to keep you alive so you can brew at all. Then there's the time walking from the house to the brewing rig/bottle storage/keg fridge, and so on...

If it's something you would be just as happy without, then it's a cost. If you enjoy it, or you can't do without it, it's an unavoidable expense. You should count your list as all contributions to just how much you appreciate your beer.

I spoke with my local bottle shop guy who just bottled his first HB (BIAB by the sounds of it) and he says he spend $120 just on ingredients, for a 20l brew. WTF I asked ! He then told me he used a kilogram of hops !

tell me that a day at a case swap shotting the breeze with like minded AHBers isnt worth every hour of this hobby (and of course there's the drinking).

I spoke with my local bottle shop guy who just bottled his first HB (BIAB by the sounds of it) and he says he spend $120 just on ingredients, for a 20l brew. WTF I asked ! He then told me he used a kilogram of hops !

A KG in 20 litres :eek: :eek: What was he brewing?

double IPA? 200 IBU. maybe he's a dufuss and was trying to hit 100IBU with 3%alpha hops :p

Well, duh. Beer is made from hops you know, Jase. :p :D

He refered to it a few weeks ago as 'Continuously Hopped" A term I haven't seen on this forum. I have no idea what style he's aimimng for.

This bloke's pretty good with his beer knowledge too, and he brings in a lot of great imports for a small bottleshop. But I had to walk out of the shop yesterday shaking my head and mumbling "mate it's going to be undrinkable".. he is adamant it will be lovely & bitter. I won't doubt him on that point. :D

Actually, talk to Doc about both using 1kg of hops in a batch and continuous hopping. He might even have designed something to automate the process. :huh: Have a search for Hourglass IPA on the net. Link.

Is that the Platinum Cellars bottle shop by any chance?

He refered to it a few weeks ago as 'Continuously Hopped" A term I haven't seen on this forum. I have no idea what style he's aimimng for.

He is probably trying to do somthing like DFH 120 minute IPA - Linky

I wanted to try doing that but could not be stuffed!! :D

As for time spent, seems like it is less and less actual brewing these days, heaps more time on AHB though.

DK

He is probably trying to do somthing like DFH 120 minute IPA - Linky

I wanted to try doing that but could not be stuffed!! :D

As for time spent, seems like it is less and less actual brewing these days, heaps more time on AHB though.

DK

its horrible! I could only drink corona for awhile after drinking one of those! Why would you do that for your first AG... ?

Everyone needs a hobby, hobbies tend to cost money, this one produces a usable item at the end which you can then enjoy at a price that is lower than buying commercial beer.

If I hadn't got into homebrew and therefore spent endless hours cleaning, sanatising, brewing, bottling, tasting, researching etc etc I would have probably spent an equal amount of time playing video games and drinking commercial beer....And you can't use Mario's 'star bits' as currency at the local bottle-o.......

I was tricked ,misled ,hoodwinked , decieved ,cheated , misguided , led up the garden path, conned ,sent bush without a wombat ( I made that one up ;) ) about how cheap the beer would be ( minus cost of time of labour)

Anyway I am just going to have to settle down and have a homebrew .

even though it is a bit spensive still it does taste good .

Just have to cost the labour as a 'Labour of Love'

what does a great beer cost 'PRICELESS'

Pumpy :)

I get people like musos etc. ask to sell my beer at parties and underground gigs... and I have to decline, not because it is illegal, but because it is not viable to make money off due to the amount of labour involved.

Don't ever show this thread to your wives/girlfriends/husbands/boyfriends.
They might get the hint and start charging you for jiggy jiggy time, when they could be working elsewhere and making real money....

its all a matter of perspective i guess. you can make really really cheap beer. minimise equip etc. It only becomes expensive once your taking with the hobby/craft and expand your horizon. eg

cricket bat and pad from kmart - probably under $100
as above from a good cricket store but bettter quality - $1000, plus training fees, travel to and from interstate games etc etc

It was only about a month or two ago that I knocked back 12hrs of overtime on a Saturday because I wanted to brew - so that particular 19L batch cost 5 or six dollars in ingredients and the equivalent of $650 in time.

Fortunately I really quite liked the beer.....

Back