How's This Look For Witbier Recipe.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
recipe looks good, by far the hardest part was managing the yeast. highly advise with this yeast to make a big ass starter same as you would for a lager. Good luck and may the force be wit you...

I made a 1L starter this morning & will probably do the brew tomorrow. I am hoping the starter is enough to get it going, my last brew i used "Wyeast Abby Ale" (1lL starter) & it took off literally 20min after i pitched,, i will post back how it go's. ps, any recommendations on fermentation temps ? Should i ferment at around 21c -22c, should i ramp up the temp a bit at the end (i am using Wyeast 3944) ???

cheers

This is what i have planned for my 2nd AG brew.

Pilsner Malt (Weyermann) 2700g
Torrified Wheat 2000g
Oat Malt 500g - 15 EBC
Vanguard (Pellets, 5% AAU) 20g - 60min
Saaz (Pellets, 3.6% AAU) 15g - 30min
Saaz (Pellets, 3.6% AAU) 8g - 0min
6g Coriander Seed: 5Min Boil
15g orange Zest: 5min Boil

Wyeast 3944 - Belgian Witbier

I'm not 100% sure about the hops, but too late now as i have already ordered it. Any suggestions on Mash temp's ?

Made a Hoegaarden clone 2 weeks ago with the following grain bill ... it's almost white ... just like the real thing! :)

2.5kg Pilsner Premium
1.0kg Wheat Raw
0.5kg Flaked Oats
0.5kg Flaked Wheat
0.5kg Wheat Malt - not the red one
0.2kg Acidulated Malt

I made the brew today, all went well until disaster happened ! While i was chilling the wort with my immersion chiller the hose somehow popped off & water started going everywhere. Luckily none of the cold water went into the wort so i fixed the chiller & let it continue cooling. But about an hour ago i checked out the fermenter (inside a temp controlled fridge) & noticed still no activity after 3 hours of pitching Yeast Starter, which is when i realised that my TempMate was malfunctioning & the fridge had been running the whole time (the inside of the fridge was at about 17c which is not too cold). Anyway, i restarted the temp mate & all is working now, i just hope that the yeast will start to take off.

UPDATE: Just checked it out now & there as a nice Krausen forming, so looks like it should be ok. :)

Rupa

Back