How's This Look For Witbier Recipe.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rupal

Reaction score
This is what i have planned for my 2nd AG brew.

Pilsner Malt (Weyermann) 2700g
Torrified Wheat 2000g
Oat Malt 500g - 15 EBC
Vanguard (Pellets, 5% AAU) 20g - 60min
Saaz (Pellets, 3.6% AAU) 15g - 30min
Saaz (Pellets, 3.6% AAU) 8g - 0min
6g Coriander Seed: 5Min Boil
15g orange Zest: 5min Boil

Wyeast 3944 - Belgian Witbier

I'm not 100% sure about the hops, but too late now as i have already ordered it. Any suggestions on Mash temp's ?

mate everyones pushing Raw wheat instead of torrified wheat

only done a few AGs but what Ive read of late on here raw wheat seams to be the go with a protien rest

The post on it wasnt that long ago Warren32 recons he mucked around for years till raw wheat hit the mark

I wish i had have asked earlier, as i have already ordered everything. What disadvantages are there using torrified wheat over raw wheat ?

I wish i had have asked earlier, as i have already ordered everything. What disadvantages are there using torrified wheat over raw wheat ?
I've made a wit with torrified wheat before, tasted fine, but looked like a pale lager. I actually brewed another wit yesterdqy, using raw wheat as suggested by various members. Coming ouit of the kettle, the wort had that cloudy, pale yellow look reminiscent of Hoegaarden - let's wait and see how it finishes up.

Personally I would increase both coriander and orange zest, but if this is first time then its better to be careful, increase next time according to your taste. Also, I use rolled oats - never used (or even seen) malted oats, was there a reason you used this?

Up the crushed fresh coriander seeds and dried orange peel to 30gms.

Edit thats 30 gms each

Also, I use rolled oats - never used (or even seen) malted oats, was there a reason you used this?

I thought i would try it just to make it a bit different from the typical Witbier (Hoegarden etc...) so it should have a slightly darker color to it. I am interested to see how it will turn out.

cheers guys, rupa
:icon_cheers:

Edit: I guess technically what i am brewing is not a WitBier, as it will probably not be white in color after adding the Malted Oats.

Up the crushed fresh coriander seeds and dried orange peel to 30gms.

Ok, i might do that. I just didn't want to go too overboard with it. Is 5min too short or should i add it to the boil a bit earlier ?

I thought i would try it just to make it a bit different from the typical Witbier (Hoegarden etc...) so it should have a slightly darker color to it. I am interested to see how it will turn out.

cheers guys, rupa
:icon_cheers:
If you want it a bit darker, then you can use a bit of munich malt - this is what Jamil does in classic recipes (he also sticks with raw oats, not malted).

You could allways use youre torrifird for a stout or a bit in a bitter

Recipe looks fine mate. Dont worry about the Nay sayers, torrefied wheat is fine to use if you cannot access raw wheat. even malted wheat is ok...its jsut not as good. i had a witbier from a microbrewery made in vietnam when i was there 50:50 pilsner and malted wheat.... awesome beer. Goes to show decent beer can be made in style with non traditional ingredients, its the brewer that makes the bad beer ;)

See link for recipies from the brewery ;)

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum//ind...st&p=515288

Definetly increase the Coriander,
also you might wanna add some rice hulls or sparging might be a very painful process...
Raw oats is traditional but it might be quite interesting to try malted oats, let us know how it goes!

Recipe looks fine mate. Dont worry about the Nay sayers, torrefied wheat is fine to use if you cannot access raw wheat. even malted wheat is ok...its jsut not as good. i had a witbier from a microbrewery made in vietnam when i was there 50:50 pilsner and malted wheat.... awesome beer. Goes to show decent beer can be made in style with non traditional ingredients, its the brewer that makes the bad beer ;)

See link for recipies from the brewery ;)

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum//ind...st&p=515288

Nothing wrong with brewing with anything other then Raw Wheat. The problem is for it to be a Wit it needs to be Raw Wheat. Anything else is just a wheat beer. Nothing wrong with that but not a Wit.

To the OP brew with what you have and up the spice as recommended. I am sure it will be a fine brew.

Ok, i might do that. I just didn't want to go too overboard with it. Is 5min too short or should i add it to the boil a bit earlier ?

5 mins should be ok

Nothing wrong with brewing with anything other then Raw Wheat. The problem is for it to be a Wit it needs to be Raw Wheat. Anything else is just a wheat beer. Nothing wrong with that but not a Wit.

What matters is that you like the results, not what category it fits into.

I make a clone of a beer called Blue Moon, which is advertised as a Belgian White beer. The clone recipe uses flaked oats, pale malt (2-row), and soft white wheat malt. The clone comes very close to tasting like the real thing (some say it's identical to it, while a BJCP judge said it came very close). I like it, which is the most important thing.

If I were brewing for a competition, I might be more concerned with using the "right" ingredients.

Don

What matters is that you like the results, not what category it fits into.

I make a clone of a beer called Blue Moon, which is advertised as a Belgian White beer. The clone recipe uses flaked oats, pale malt (2-row), and soft white wheat malt. The clone comes very close to tasting like the real thing (some say it's identical to it, while a BJCP judge said it came very close). I like it, which is the most important thing.

If I were brewing for a competition, I might be more concerned with using the "right" ingredients.

Don

Words mean things. I just hate to see terms change because of casual usage. Your beer may have been very good. Does not make it a Wit.

Rupal, got my brew folder out. Last one I made was in Jan 2007.

To 20 IBUs

2.5kg Pils
2.5kg Wheat
250gms Carapils
250gms Rolled unmalted wheat
20gms Coriander
20gms Dried Orange peel

40gms US Tettnang @ 60
19gms Saaz @ 15
Coriander & orange @ 15

3rd generation Wyeast 3068

Mashed at 63

Notes say it was great! Fooked it I can remember it though.

Cheers
Steve

I agree with the whole Terroir of the thing, raw vs malted. All i was pointing out is it IS posible to make a beer that is within the style of a Witbier and quite well actually. Before you jump into it. Yes, it does fit that style! Regardless of the choice of ingredients used, style is based on flavour/appearance and aroma perception. You dont judge beers similarities to a style based on the recipe formulation/ingredients used.

The one thing that opened my mind to it (ive always believed there would be something special in raw wheat for a witbier) where the awesome nose characters, flavour, beautiful palate and nice and tart! Especially the ones taken from the holding tanks (pre filtration) the character was worlds better than the filtered beer for the commoners.

The only major problem i can forsee is attempting to get a lower final gravity with malted wheat and maybe the colour slightly off.

Coming to my own beers, if i can get raw, i'd go for it, if i cannot, torrefied or malted will have to suffice. The Yeast and spices give majority of the dominant flavour/aroma character in a wit anyway.

The only major problem i can forsee is attempting to get a lower final gravity with malted wheat and maybe the colour slightly off.

The malted wheat kilning means darker colour and also more malt flavour. Wits shouldn't be chewy. But final gravity? - should be no difference. In a similar vein, I don't quite get why folks insist upon claiming that (raw) rice makes dry beer. Less flavoursome beer yes, dry beer no.

Back