Howdy from Melbournes Northern Suburbs!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pongo

Reaction score
[SIZE=12pt]Hey Folks![/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Just getting back into brewing after a long hiatus. So... an introduction![/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Under the tutelage of a family member I started brewing in uni - it was a great way to enjoy a bottle of suds whilst keeping the costs down. My setup was (and still is) pretty basic - 30 litre drum, immersion heater, one of those nice lever arm cappers. I was encouraged to use white sugar for my brews but after a few batches I began to wander to dextrose and malt.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]__________________[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]Story Time![/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]My local brew shop was Grain and Grape (originally in Footscray and now in a very nice little warehouse in Yarraville). Great store but I've found the support there a little lacking... My first and only foray into hopping my beer involved being sold a hopps bag and being told to boil the hops in bag. The bag didn't synch close and as a result I felt I needed to set it up in such a way that the hopps wouldn't leak out. I subsequently set the hopps bag on fire...[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]I managed to save the hopps but, to be honest, I couldn't tell the difference in the brew.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]_______________________[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]Which Brings me to Now![/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Several years back I moved suburb, lost the space to brew and as a result, the kit was stowed under the house... I came very close to selling it off a few times but never did. There is sat, dormant... waiting... biding its time...[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Recently I've brought the old girl out of retirement, given her a thorough clean, cleaned the 70 odd bottles I have, retired the immersion heater (which didn't survive transport - never liked the thing any way), picked up a heat pad and am back to starting some basic brewing.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]________________[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]Current Rig[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/SIZE]

• [SIZE=12pt]30 litre drum[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]The hole in the lid is corked with the old rubber cork from the immersion heater - just cut the cable off and left a section in there to keep it air tight (I had meant to get a fresh cork but had forgotten at my last LHBS visit). [/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]Using a heat pad for heating. Was surprised to find that they don't have temperature controls (thanks for the heads up brew shop!), so have been running it for a few hours when I feel things are getting a bit cool[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]Hard wood planks over the bath to hold the drum + hose attachment for cleaning[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]Bottling into long necks stored in milk crates[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]Have a dry bar (ie. not plumbed) to serve from if I'm feeling fancy[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]________________[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]Current Brew[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]I've just bottled a batch from a Coopers Draught kit. Used 750g dextrose, 250g malt. Used the supplied yeast. Primed with priming drops. Still learning to use the damn hydrometer... slow learner I guess, so I couldn't tell you readings.

I'm planning my next batch and cleaning as we speak... I'll definitely be seeking some advice on these forums and will pop a link up here when I do.

So... Hi! And thanks for any welcomes to this community.

Pongo
[/SIZE]

G'day Pongo

Nicely formatted first post! Welcome back to the world of brewing, lots of great information around on all areas of brewing, depending on how out of control this hobby gets for you ... I swear, sometimes its like being on that little coal cart in Temple of Doom sometimes!

Cheers

Thanks for the welcome Crouch. So long as it's not like choosing which challace to drink from I don't mind!

As mentioned, thread is up seeking help on my second brew here.

Nice story. :) Sometimes I find hop bags more trouble than they're worth, too. I've burnt a couple. But basically you can tie them shut, hops won't get out, and you can just chuck them in to the brew like a gigantic tea bag and they'll bob about while the hoppy goodness leeches out.

Welcome aboard, my northern suburbs fellow brewer!

Re: hop bags.
I have one, but to be honest, I've never used it. Between whirlpooling and crash chilling, I haven't really needed to.

Back